Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p650 - 26" bearclaws or mudlites? Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p650 - 26" bearclaws or mudlites? Please comment

Hey diesel freak just my 2 cents on your post:

I don't even have a 650 yet but im getting one very soon (tax return) I talked my dealer into tradeing my dunflops in for bear claws. Just like you i don't wanna get stuck in the middle of bfe with a flat. I will be doing a lot of similar rideing that you will be doing and I have just heard to many good things to ignore the bear claws. Go get some claws i don't think they will let either one of us down. After all it never hurts to have a set of holeshot atr's sitten in the shed ready to go, just save your nickels and dimes.

Soon to have 2003 650 (camo)
All ready have: twin air filter, black driven spring, service manual.
My family keeps telling me im just getting one piece at a time and they will start to get excited when i get the tires Ha Ha Ha ( Won't they be suprised when i get it and cover there a$$'$ in mud with my bear claws ) We will see who has the last laugh....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2003, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

I am now going to Mudlites as a friend of mine had them on the 650 and they were undoubtabley awesome. He has Blackwaters on his to begin with they were ok, I have gators right now just waiting on my C series wheels to arrive and I will be on Mudlites as they make the machine so much easier on the trails... I rode his on the Bearwallow trail for those familiar and the tire handled beautifully, no under steer and definitley smooth...

Old 01-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

ChaosinMT,

Where are you from? I live in Missoula?

Old 01-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Im trying to decide why anyone went with bearclaws over mudlites, other than they're tried and true....seems from what ppl are saying that the mudlites do just as well on the trail but better in snow/mud....they're also lower weight....

Comes down to mudlites vs atr's again...... I really want to get the mudlites, plus they look pretty badass as well, but really most of the trails around here are sand and hard with whoops etc, with a few puddles or pits of mud if you really want to get in them. I'm sure it gets alot sloppier in the summer with the rainy season, but at this point, as much as I dont want to admit it, I think the atr's are better suited to the 85% trail riding I do. Sure sounds like having both atr's and mudlites is the hot ticket.

How big are the stock wheels? Are c-series wider than stock? Folks my whole concern with the big tires is that I have a 4x8 trailer. As it is with the stock tires, I usually have about 3-5" of room left on one side of a back tire and 2-3" on the other. Its pretty tight but dont have any problems rubbing or getting close to the sides of the trailer at this point. I'm a little worried that adding rims and bigger tires may cause a fitment problem on the trailer.

Would anyone with 26" tires\c-series on their p650 be cool enough to take a tape measure to the back and see exactly how wide their quad is from outside edge of tire to the other outside edge? Anyway thanks in advance if anyone can. If it turns out that I can fit the quad on the trailer with c-series and 26's, i'll buy a set of mudlites on c-series, and atr's for my stock wheels.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Lightman

I have the 26" Mud Lites on my P650 on stock wheels and I had Bearclaws on the Scrambler I just sold. I don`t have many miles on my Mud Lites yet (only 50) and thats snow miles. They work great in the snow as do the Bearclaws. I think both tire will perform great in most of the conditions you would see. With the Bearclaw slightly better on hard packed and the Mud Lite slightly better in the mud. I chose the Mud Lites over the Bearclaws for the added mud ability with good all around traction, the lite weight and they have a more rounded profile vs the more squared one of the Bearclaws.

The total width I did not measure but they look to be about 1 1/2 inches wider per side on the stock wheels. C-Series wheels are offset 1" wider than stock. My guess would be 5 inches wider with Mud Lites on C-Series. HTH

Old 01-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

its pretty poor, I can't believe I didn't get a 5x8 trailer. I just measured, i have 2.5" to spare on either side for a very tight fit, but a fit. So it looks like c-series are out of the question. I'm going to call the trailer place and see if there's anything I can do about trading up to a bigger size.

Old 01-26-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Dirty Im in your backyard come on up. We have lots of rides and poker Runs. (one of the local Lake resorts puts on most of them)I live in Kila but most of the guys in the club are in the Flathead Valley all of us are around the Kalispell area.

Old 01-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

After reading all the reviews, I've pretty much talked myself into getting the holeshot atr's to mount on my stock rims and then a set of 26" Mudlites on rims to be determined.....thought c-series for a while, they look cool as hell, but the staining etc sounds crummy.

Just ordered my atr's tonight!!!! I found the cheapest price by far at tires unlimited, 296 out the door including shipping, 269 before shipping. It was as high as $345 at some sites....crazy.

I'm excited to get some good tires on the quad though. Do ppl think I should ride the stockers out as long as I can or just ditch them immediately? Being that I ride alone most of the time at this point, I was thinking I might want to get those 6ply's on there soon. I've also got 4 bottles of highlifter's airlock tire sealant waiting.... Do people think I should put the atr's on right away? Are the stock tires that bad? I mostly ride sandy and hardpack/grassy trails, but there are occasional roots and branches sticking out etc....have I just been lucky over my first 300 miles with the stock tires or should they give reasonable life?

Old 01-28-2003, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

Loose the stockers. Sell them on ebay, you should get about $50 per pair if in good shape.

It isn't worth risking a flat, getting stuck, cornering problems, handling problems, possibly getting in a wreck, causing third world country aggression, or whatever other problems can be caused by running the crappy dunflops on your machine. Loose them.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

should I 'lose' them too nyroc? LOL just playin. I think the stockers are on their way out actually as soon as the atr's show up. Thanks for the tip on ebay, I didn't figure anyone would want the stockers.....?

Quick Reply: p650 - 26" bearclaws or mudlites? Please comment