Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p650 - 26" bearclaws or mudlites? Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p650 - 26" bearclaws or mudlites? Please comment

I'm wanting to get rid of the stock tires on my p650. I ride alone often and everyone's scared me enough into thinking they'll pop on me at the worst time. I do primarily trail riding, maybe 85% trails(hardpack/sand) and a little mud and water at times. I don't want to go bigger than 26 because I like to ride fast and want to retain some sportyness. After reading up a bit on the forums, it seems mudlites or bearclaws are two possibilities. To those that have them, how do they do on high speed hardpack trails? I've heard mixed reviews about the holeshot atrs, they seem great for hard surfaces, but I don't want to get stuck in the mud should I choose to get in it... Whats the best tire for my application? Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

OK despite no replies, I think after all the reading i've been doing my question really is ATR's vs 26" mudlites??? I want to be able to snowplow, go thru snow, and some mud/water on occasion. People seem to report atr's struggling a bit in these areas. I do a lot of trail riding though, where atr's seem to shine. My real question is how are mudlites on trails!?

Old 01-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have either tire, but I want both. Mudlites for the wet season and ATR's for the summer.

I honestly believe that mud lites are an excellent tire, but I don't think they are good enough on hardpack for your 85% requirement.

Bearclaws are probably a better mix, but wouldn't be as good on hard as the ATR, nor as good in mud as the mudlite.

Florida? Doesn't it rain a lot down there? There has to be mud. Get the mudlites.

Old 01-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hey lightman, sorry for no reply, I was absent for a bit.

I don't know about the atr's or mudlights, but I like the bearclaws a bunch. I do a wide variety of riding (hills, rocks, logs, mud, trails, logging roads etc) and the bearclaws perform very well. They are not a trail tire, but do great on trails, they are not a mud tire, but hold their own. I am pleased with the all around performance. Plus, they look great. Check out my sig. for pics of my 26" bearclaws.

Old 01-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

oh from what I heard the mudlites were more of an all around tire than the bearclaws....? They are supposed to be a good deal lighter than claws....no?

Yes nyroc we get lots of rain and there is a ton of mud here in FL. I just ride a lot of trails thru the woods as well. Mostly 30-35 mph tops, but averaging about 15-20, some of them are really tight, mostly all sand/soft ......not really hardpack that i'm sure ppl have in some places....

I"ve been leaning toward mudlites because I think I may be limited in some sticky areas with the atr's... just still a bit worried about their trail performance...?

Old 01-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Bear Claws!!!

Old 01-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

I just finished plowing love my Mud lites they are great for plowing and are the best in snow . But I run ATR,s in the summer. What part of Florida you gona plow snow in?????? Must be more than one Florida.

Old 01-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I'm moving to cleveland in a year. There's plenty of snow up there.

Can anyone comment on the mudlite's trail riding characteristics as compared to stock?

What size are the stock rims?

Old 01-26-2003, 02:04 AM
Range Rover

I don't know about the mudlights but i know a lot of people that have bearclaws and will not go to anything else.I have had mine for 4000 miles now and i have never had a flat except for a nail that i picked up somewhere.

The front one's are used because of the asphalt that i have ridden on with them.The rears are still around 70 % ,there are cheap to buy,run great on hard pack and are good in mud and snow.

The 26 inch bearclaws are the same size as the 25 inch in the rear,the 26 fronts are a little higher and are 9.5 iinches large i think while the 25 inch are 8 inch wide.The 25 inchers are 4ply while the rest are 6 ply which give a bumpier ride. With a 650 i'd go with the bearclaw 27 inchers and i you find you lost to much get go maybee get a clutch kit later on.

Anyway it's just my opinion but i'm hooked on bearclaws.

Steven

Old 01-26-2003, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

They are very good allround tires and just plain great in the snow. I run the local ATV club and some of the guys run Bearclaws and also like them but they are not as good in the snow as the Mudlights and are no better on the hardpacked.(I did not much like eather on the hardpacked stuff) I wont know about mud until spring. In the summer I will rum my ATR,s. As far as compairing them to stock tires you will flat love them both. I would go with the Mudlites in the 26in size for allround use.I love mine but will still run ATR,s in the summer no tire is good at it all.(I got summer and winter tires for the cars and truck so why not fot the ATV).Hope thes helps

Quick Reply: p650 - 26" bearclaws or mudlites? Please comment