Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 Cold Weather Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 Cold Weather Starting

Hello Everyone.

Had a questioin about cold weather starting for the Prairie 650, I had mine sitting outside for a few weeks and I went to start it but no go. I started a Big Bear 350 sitting right next to it, that thing didn't hesitate to start.

Does anyone have any tips? besides having it sit in the garage all winter. Temps are 0 degrees and less.

How about a block / hose heater of some sort, similar to car?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Did you have your fuel petcock off during the time it was sitting? If you didn't, you could be flooded. If you flood this thing, it's a bugger to start.

Old 01-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Mine cold starts just fine and I live in Montana (Cant be much warmer). I just give it some choke and about 1/8 on the gas fires right up.

Old 01-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I hear ya Mike. Mine has been in my shed for a few weeks without a start up. It has been sub-zero at night for a while now. It would be nice if you could plug it in, kinda like my truck. I am thinking if it doesn't warm up soon I may bring out the torpedo heater and try to heat it up a bit. I did make sure I changed to Synthetic oil before it got cold though. I wonder if the battery or the radiator has froze up yet. I never had a problem with 2-stroke Polaris's, but I better go take a look tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Does yours have a primer under the seat right hand side? also my friend's scrambler had a hard time starting so he built a toaster oven for his bike out of stryfoam insulation cut out to the size of the bike and a 200W bulb. He turns it on for about 20 minutes before starting his bike an hour before if he wants a warm seat.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

I was questioning the same thing about a heater for my 650. What do they say that at least 80% wear on an engine occurs @ cold startup? I have a block heater on the truck and both block and oil pan heater on the Jetta. I figured I could mount a nice pan heater on the underside of the 650. it just glues on and seals with silicone. I might need like a thick blanket to cover the quads motor, or would a normal ATV cover work? Anybody out there do something like this?

Kawi650, your buddies toaster sounds smart..kinda like they do in little well housings in the winter to keep the pump from freezin. Although I don't think they use 200w, maybe 75-100 max since they just leave it on all winter.

Miks.

Old 01-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Don't use a pan heater with silicon, it just causes problems, the same guy that built the toster tried it, it ended up killing his seals and it did not like the enviroment the ATV travels in. Also he found it was great in one spot but other parts of his bike would stay frozen. The toaster is the way to go.

Old 01-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

If there is a place to mount a small zerostart coolant heater and route it into the cooling lines, that would be ideal. Coolant block heaters are a pretty common option for cars, and the zerostarts are pretty small. You could mount it somewhere if you had room and then be able to plug in wherever you wanted...or you could possibly rig up some sort of quick-disconnect coolant line system, and just plug it in at home.

Old 01-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

MNMike wrote -
Had a questioin about cold weather starting for the Prairie 650, I had mine sitting outside for a few weeks and I went to start it but no go.
You've got to get out and drive more! The 650 gets cold and lonely sitting out in the weather. Seriously, start it up and drive it a bit every week or two. It's easier on the machine and the battery.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for the comments. Still seems like there is not a sure answer for a cure. Just kind of gets under your skin when the '87 model Big Bear fires right up.

Mike

Quick Reply: P650 Cold Weather Starting