Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Clutch Weights For P650

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Weights For P650

In another couple of weeks EPI is coming out with different weighted weights for the driven clutch on the 650. Ours is about the 62gram range and they will offer 56, 58, 60 gram weights at increments of 2 grams a piece. They will have a different curve to the rack so this will help with bottom and midrange acceleration with respect to larger tires. The bottom line is along with clutch springs this will help with a faster hole shot, and a stronger pull to maximum rpm. This has been a long time coming I have been looking for a good set of weights that I don't have to modify. The tuff part is keeping them all the same when modifying by hand. Hope this helps anyone besides myself and maybe Shotgun.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

You got an inside line on how much moolah for a set???? They would definitely help with the 26" 589s on mine.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Mastrblastr

They are 125 per set I know mine help to get what I lost when I went to bigger tires.

Old 01-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

That's great news, I think that there is lots or power to be gained in the clutching. But I would suggest waiting for the CDI to come out if anyone is getting one, then we could clutch to that.

My weights that came on my bike were 58 grams, unless my dig. scales were wrong. Did I read it wrong, $125 for a set of 4. I need to buy a stamp press! That's what I paid for my adjustable weights, I had to do a lot of grinding to get them to work, but now I have endless combinations.

I also know of some mods to the clutch that would be inexpensive and should add speed. I'll let you know how that works.

Alltoys, thanks for the information,

May the v-force be with you!

Old 01-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Shotgun,

I am curious to see what you have done to your clutch maybe we can trade tech tips with what I have done and your inovations should be winning combination.

Old 02-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Shotgun...How are the clutch mods going? Any new break-throughs?

Anyone...What would changing clutch weights do if I am running 25in ATR's?

Old 02-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Encore 454; If the AtR's weight more than the stock Duns, than lighter weight will help with pickup and responce, and especially top end. You really need a tach to tell that.

There is 3-4 feet of snow here in Maine, so we can't test much, we are working on some clutch mods but are waiting for the Emeral F CDI Box to come out so we can clutch to that. We do know that we can get a lot of extra speed from the clutch we already have. Just changing weights is not going to do much, but it will get you back to where the bike was stock as far as speed and pickup. If you added bigger tires that weight more than the stock ones, then you are probably not clutched right anymore.

Once the 700 comes out, there will be weights on the market, that can be had. I would suggest waiting for another few months and see what happens. I will post any changes that we come up with that I feel will help.

An example of the extra speed that can be obtained is, changes were made to a stock clutch, not just weights, that allowed a p650 to go over 80 mph, near 60 mph in low gear, before blowing the belt.
Mike Penland, (races to Kawasaki, team green) asked to have this clutch sent to him, so he could try it on the 700 he will be racing with.

Wait a while before buying anything, Stay tuned!

Old 02-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Shotgun...Thanks for the reply. Wait, wait, wait...I am getting good at that! I have had the money set aside for the CDI for probably 4 months...maybe more! I hope the 700 will inspire companies to come out with many mods that will help the 650. Any idea if the belts will be interchangeable?

Old 02-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure, I would guess it will interchange, the 700 clutch is suppose be have inprovements over the 650, that might just be a better belt.

I hear you about waiting, but I think it's a waste of money to buy clutch weights now, before the CDI box comes out because unless you have adjustable weights like I have you will have to reclutch.

The weights that come in the bike are heavy, 58 grams on my scales, but when you get heavier tires, you need lighter weights to get your RPM back up to your peak HP, (this is where the tach come in). When we get the CDI box, the stock weights might be alright again. If it gives us more power, even with the heavier tires, we might have to go the other way, heavier weights to bring our RPM's back down to our peak HP, if that makes any sense.

I try to be really careful about recomending anything that cost $125 to anyone. For that kind of money, you could buy adjustable weights and modify them to fit and then you change them to fit any changes you make to the bike, ever.

Old 02-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I know this is off topic but what tools will i need to install my black spring and is it hard

Quick Reply: Clutch Weights For P650