Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dyno Jet vs. Keihin jets in the 650

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Jet vs. Keihin jets in the 650

After becoming tired of trying every possible combination of Dyno Jet main jets and needle settings, and still having hesitation and other drivability problems, I pulled out the DJ kit. Yes, I had taken many plug readings and even with good color, the machine still wouldn't run up to it's potential. With the stock jets and needles back in I had to take some discs out of the Supertrapp and tape up the airbox holes to avoid being too lean. But at least it would run smoothly.
Today I finally had time to play with the carbs. (A break between snowstorms)! I took out the stock (Keihin) 138 -142 mains and put in 145 -148's, front and rear. I bought some tiny washers to use for needle spacers. I put 3 washers under each needle, total thickness of the 3 washers: 7/100's of an inch, roughly equivilent to two notches on an adjustable needle. I put the pilot screws back to 2 3/4 turns out from 3 1/4. Removed the duct tape from the airbox lid holes and put all 12 discs back in the Supertrapp.
All I can say is WOW!! After a 5 min. warmup there was no hesitation and extremely sharp throttle response! When trying it out on the pavement in high range, I couldn't keep the front end down from a dead stop. It wheelies easier than when it was new and prior to putting the winch on the front. Now, even with the winch hanging on the front, you must lean over the bars to keep from going over backwards. Before you had to use some body english and be rolling slowly to pull the front end up. It pulls very strongly at all throttle positions. I've got to verify the plugs, but for now, the 650 is running better than it has for a long time.
Has anyone else had similar problems with the DJ kit? I suspect the needle design may not suit the application.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I too have my difficulities with the dynojets. Hopefully I will put some Keihin jets in this weekend.

Old 01-31-2003, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Novakaw650,

I have done many posts on the viability of the keihn jets as opposed to the DJ jets and yes the keihns are far superior to the DJ's. Although the original kit from DJ are a stage one kit, there is a stage 2 kit available but the keihns are still better. You will get a better take off with a strong mid range only you might lose some top end speed but this can be compensated for. I have put my findings on the forum many times, I am glad your machine is working great good for you.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I installed the dyno jet with the k@n filter. I also installed the pro circut pipe, which also changed the head pipes. It was running lean, so sense the jet kit installs shorter needles and then smaller jets, I simply put the stock jets back with the shorter needles that came with the dyno jet kit. The problem was solved and power comes on very hard in the mud. All my friends ride hondas. No one touch the power this machine has.

27/12/12 TRI CLAWS front and rear on ITP C-series rims
HIGHLIFTER LIFT KIT
PRO CIRCUT PIPE
2000 WARN WINCH
K+N POWER KIT

Old 01-31-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Alltoys, went to the dealer and he had no 145 Keihn, pulled the 650 up on the microfische and it did not list a 145 main as an option. the 650 uses a Keihn 32mm CVKR carb, he pulled a Pra. 400 up which has a Keihn 32mm CVK carb,(don't know what the R stand's for) but it had a 145 listed so he ordered it for me, $7.05 for the one jet as I already have the 142, will that jet for the 400 work?

Old 01-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Well I am going to start doing mods tommorow I have the Dyno jet kit should I use Keihin jet instead? I am going to use a Twin air air filter and Diamond G snorkle and do Nyroc's exhaust mod what Keihin jets should I use or what dyno jets should I use any other help would be nice I just soon do it right the first time If i have to wait to get keihin jets I will

Old 01-31-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

NovaKaw, do you have the part #'s for the jets and where did you get the washers?

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Stakk,

All Keihin jets are interchangable I have gone as far #200r and #195fr with current modds this did make for an exciting ride but it did over fuel the motor. I go as high as I can untill the motor over fuels. You are right that they only list as high as a 142 for our carb but other Keihins will work. The parts guy at your Kawi dealer should now this stuff if not I know of someone who can help you out with your dealer.

I just received my new carb which is a side delivery 45mm with a 2 stage #165 Keihin jet and a carbon slide truly trick. It has faster delivery, better fuel atomization as close to direct intake as it can get. I read your post on adjusting air screws, well done keep up the good work.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

PrairieDust - the jets are on page 481 in the 2003 Motovan ATV catalog. PN: 62-145 for the #145 main jet. Any Canadian dealer should have the Motovan catalog. I bought a packet of #4 size washers at Canadian Tire, PN 61-5980-0. They fit perfectly. The jets are $2.99 a piece.

BlueRhino - If it were me, I'd take the DJ kit back and buy a couple of Keihin jets and some tiny washers. With your planned mods I'd start with a 145 in the back cyl. and move the factory 142 to the front cylinder. I'd put a couple of tiny washers under the needles too. It would probably be extremely close. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Alltoys wrote -

I just received my new carb which is a side delivery 45mm with a 2 stage #165 Keihin jet and a carbon slide truly trick.
Are you going to build a custom intake? That will be truely trick!!

Quick Reply: Dyno Jet vs. Keihin jets in the 650