Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

blew the crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blew the crank

Somehow the crank let go in my prairie last night,I have no idea why it was full of oil,and I didnt get any warning lights.I was just going down a road about 40-45mph at just under full throtle.It just started to die down then started knocking and locked up.I'll keep you posted as I figure stuff out....later

Old 02-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default blew the crank

That is too bad. It isn't typical, the 650 motor is very tough.

Maybe you had a filter or pump problem.

Old 02-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default blew the crank

What oil filter did you have on?

Old 02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Range Rover
Default blew the crank

I have a napa gold filter on it.Nyroc if my crank is bad what do you think of this...getting a v-force crank(66mm vs 63mm)and going with the fst 750 kit (87mm vs 80mm)that should give me a 785cc.They say the 750 kit is reliable giving it a little more stroke shouldnt hurt.Now just seeing if I can get pistons to fit the stroker crank might be trouble.We'll see I'll make some calls.kawasaki is going to be one of them im gonna see if they might help,seeing as it sat in the shop for 2 mos while they tried to figure out what was wrong with it.They never did fix it maby they will stretch the warranty.Its a long shot but its worth a try.hope my v-force gets here fast I need to ride!!!!.......later. p.s.who was it that just rebuilt there prairie?I cant remember

Old 02-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default blew the crank

are you talking about the 800 prairie in the march edition of dirt wheels?, his name is mike shelley

Old 02-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default blew the crank

You should be able to do the long stroke.

You can probably get more displacement per dollar by boring it. Maybe, maybe not.

The crank is probably just scratched and needs a polish or grind with polish.

Northarkie had to rebuild his, but Alltoys is probably the most knowledgeable about the engine here (except for the commercial guys).

Mikey Dunlap at FST knows everything about the 650 motor. He pays this forum, so you can say his name over and over again. He can even quote you prices.

"He who shall not be named" also knows a great deal about the 650 too. I'm not talking about Voldemort, I'm talking about 2Wolfman. His name isn't actually 2Wolfman, we just can't say his name. Subtract 1 from the front, and pick a larger wild animal with four letters. He is the owner of emeraldF racing (except spelled like a different jewel, and the next letter of the alphabet after F).

Old 02-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default blew the crank

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Range Rover
Default blew the crank

nightryder no thats not the one I'm talking about,if i went with that kit with what I want to do I would end up with an 840cc motor that would be very cool but I dont think it would be very reliable.Nyroc that was funny,I did however know who you were talking about right away.the only way i'll get the stroker crank is if mine is junk.but regardless of the crank condition im going to get the 750 pistons rather it be in the kit or bore my stock sleves.Thanks for the info i'm sure i'll use any I can get....later

Old 02-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default blew the crank

Actually, any info you dig up about the long stroke, let us know. I realize it would be a a bigger pain for the rest of us to take the entire engine apart instead of just removing the jugs to get more displacement, but it would be a good thing to know.

Longer strokers generaly give you more torque at lower RPMS that the bigger bore ones. That wouldn't be bad at all.

I see from your sig that you really like to get the most out of stuff. I was going to suggest that you would have plenty of umph after the CDI and a set of cams. But, I am guessing you want MORE than that. Stomping grizzlies isn't enough, you probably want to stomp raptors and DS650s too?

Old 02-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Range Rover
Default blew the crank

Nyroc,dont worry I'll fill everyone in as i find out stuff we are sort of like a big family in here anything I can do to help out I'll do.You are right I am power hungry maby not as much as alltoys but I too have been looking into a supercharger.Think of how easy it would be,use one like they use on a harley run it off the recoil,use a standerd side draft carb.You could easily run a snorkle off the carb then put a k&n universal filter on the snorkle like I have now.I dont really need to beat a raptor but that would be cool seing as my friend has one.I just would like to have enough power to spin the outlaws off the rims in the mud.After I get my v-force the prairie will mainly be used for mudbogging power is nice in the mud.Mainly coolness has a lot to do with it,how cool would it be to pull up to a group of sp700s and say "700 thats all"then flash the 785 sticker thats placed over the 650 one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: blew the crank