Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki Prairie 650 Or Yamaha Grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki Prairie 650 Or Yamaha Grizzly 660

I'm seriously considering buying a 4X4 quad for trail riding since I only ride my DS650 on the sand. What do you guys think? I know the Prairie is less expensive, but Yamaha has some very attractive financing available right now. And what should I be paying for a Prairie out the door? Thanks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Kawasaki is offering no interest, no payments 'til 2004. Go with the prairie! You should be able to find a p650 for 6,300 before state taxes are tacked on.

Old 02-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

there are about 80 threads with this same title and question, use the search function, it can be extremely helpful. My $.02 says dont buy the quad for financing reasons, buy it because you like the quad best. Ride both and see what you think. I think you'll find the prairie to be more sporty, and still will hold it's own on the utility side.

Old 02-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

I did a search, but I couldn't find much on the 2003 models, which I understand have both changed significantly from the 2002 models in terms of correcting earlier problems. Therefore, I am asking the question again in order to hear from those who have experience with the latest models. Thanks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

I hate to admit it, but if I had to buy a $6500-$7500 quad right now, it would be a Rincon. I'm not willing to lose big $$$ by selling my Kawi-650, so I'll stay with my present ride. If Kawi would put a sealed transmission similar to the Honda-quads, I'd stick with it, however. I'm kind of indifferent on the IRS issue.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Range Rover

Here's a quick financing suggestion to make the 650 deal similar. I just got a citibank dividend card a couple of months ago. They have a special deal right now 12 months 0% on balance transfers. no additional fees or anything

You call them and they will make a balance transfer check out to you and send it to you. You can deposit this money in the bank and use it for whatever you like. Up to the full amount of your credit line.

I just bought a used p 650 like this. I have 12 months at 0% interest to pay it off. 12 months same as cash.

Prairies do seem to depreciate a lot, I guess all ATV's do, but I was still suprised at how much. Since their such a good bike and have a great reputation. I was going to get a new one. However, you might try and find a nice used one with an extended warranty. Buy it and do the 12 months same as cash through citibank. I shopped around a lot and you should be able to find a nice used one for $4,200 - $5,200. (save on tax too.) Just have it checked out throughly before you buy.

Old 02-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both models of a Prairie 650, a '02 & now a '03.
The changes between the two years is not "significant" just minor improvements.
When Kawasaki was testing a strip down version of the P650 for the upcoming VF700 Sport, Kawasaki finally understood why so many of us were compaining about the stock air-filter design, so for the '03 model, Kawasaki changed the design, which now gives it 30% improvement in more air & I feel the '03 650 is a tad bit quicker off the line & better fuel mileage.
The other changes : Added a belt detector lite to the digital dash display inplace of the idiot gas-pump low gas lite. Change the material of the center & front skid plates & added the tow hitch as standard.
If you go with the Prairie 650, invest in a pair of front Progressive adjusting pre-load springs & the proven the DG snorkel, larger tires,black spring. All of these aftermarket add-ons are a big improvement over the stock P650.

Old 02-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

My .02 cents worth as a happy prairie owner would be the obvious; buy the prairie. The grizz has a plusher ride but is quite tippy and Yamaha still hasnt addressed the boiling gas issue. You might have to modify the side panels to allow for air to escape or the gas will boil. This is my first Kawi but I think they are of better quality then the Yamaha. Just my opinion.

Good luck with your choice. Bob

Old 02-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

TheSorb:
I am a VERY proud owner of the Kawi. Am I biased...yes, for good reason! This bike is a monster! It does everything well. The Grizz is also a nice machine. I guess it all comes down to what your taste is. I see that you have a DS650...so I'm steering you towards the Kawi because of it's sportier performance. The Grizz will be a plusher ride in the real rough stuff as it is IRS. The Grizz also looks more formidable due to it's height. Some people like the looks of the Grizz better...me, I think it's a toss up. The little round headlights on the Grizz are plain ugly and very much hurt the bikes appearance. Now on to why I believe the Kawi is superior...The engine (Absolutely the best engine in all of quading) Monster power, with no vibration and that deep meanacing growl is too sweet! All bikes wish they had a V-Twin in them. I had a Grizz 660 owner drooling all over mine one day, just from the sound and vibration free engine alone. He never did ride it. The Kawi is quicker off the line, accellerates quicker and has more mud slinging,stump pulling power. This is not to suggest the Grizz is slow or a weakling...far from it. The Grizz will take the top end speed by a couple MPH's...but mid to high 60's is fast enough on any utility. It's getting there the fastest thats fun. The kawi has a better brake hands down. It's rear brake is a wet sealed braking system, that is virtually maintenance free(first service is at 6000 miles!!!) The ON-THE-FLY locker on the Kawi is a plus as well, as you don't have to stop to engage the locker(ala Grizz) when you see a ugly mud hole approaching. The Kawi's locker is not speed limited as well...so roost away! The Kawi is a joke to work on if you ever need to. I have 1400-1500 kms on mine and abused the pi$$ out of it and haven't had a single problem. I did adjust the belt once while I added the Black spring and it was a joke! You can change the belt in less than 10 mins, with a socket to get the cover off. I don't believe a Grizz is nearly as easy to work on. The Kawi has a better reputation for deep water than the Grizz, that may not be a real concern though. As far as reliability goes ,I read the forums and the biggest and only real complaint that you will see with the Kawi is the belt wear. But as is commonly known to us now , is that the belts largely come loose from the factory. Make sure it's within spec and it will last a long time(add the $20 black spring and you will gain performance and save your belt to boot!) All in all you have two very nice machines to choose from. The best way to narrow the choice however is to ride both. Alot of us on the forum, can point out all the great things about a bike, but untill you actually jump on and try it for yourself you really can't compare. Good luck.

ROB

Old 02-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

TheSorb: I bought a Prairie 650 because it was the fastest and sportiest of the big utilities. The Rincon is the slowest and the Grizzly is the poorest handling of the three. If you were an old man or slow rider you could go with any of them but you own a DS650 which means your use to performance. Once you open the P650 up and allow it to breath with a few modifications you won't regret your purchase. I ride with several Grizzlies and Rincon's and all I can say is, "I'll wait for you at the next turn".

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Prairie 650 Or Yamaha Grizzly 660