Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

lakota and mojaves, they got good aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lakota and mojaves, they got good aftermarket?

im looking into a quad soon, got a job, got a jeep, got it lifted, now i want something to play with on my off time. so i need to know, is there alot of aftermarket for those 2 quads? and could someone give me a run down of the basic things you can do. im torn between those 2 and a blaster

im mostly interested in the lakota since it has the larger engine, is said to handle better, and a dealership around here had a left over 2000 for 2500

also can the lakota have is auto clutch converted to a standard manual clutch??

Old 02-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

man there is no way that stock vs stock a kota is more power or handles better then the mojave!

Old 02-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

whoa whoa man, dont have a little fit, ive heard they handle better but marginally, and i was just figuring the lakota would make more power

im not biosed so dont go off on me, im just looking for some facts before i go out and buy a quad

Old 02-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look, heres the scoop. The Mojave has been around since 87 and uses an old motor that is still verry advanced for this day and age. Its a good design.
The Lakota, for the most part uses the Mojave frame and the Bayou 300 motor. Also a good design.
Both are proven and can be riden verry hard.
The only major differences besides the motors are the Lakota uses a different engine cradle than the Mojave so you cant switch engines in them if you wanted to. Also the swing arm is 1inch longer than the Mojave. Its not much but you can tell when you are climing steep hills.
As for the engines, its apples to bannas. The Mojave uses a hand operated cluch(manu.) and the Lakota uses a cluch also but is engaged when the shift lever is lifted or deprested and the gears change(automatic cluch).
The power band in the Mojave is way more noticeable than in the Lakota. The Lakota doesnt have a super strong powerband, but what that basicly means is that the Lakota is always in the power band.
The weight is also a factor. The Lakota does weigh more at 447.6LBS compaired to the Mojave at 379LBS. This is due to the auto. cluch, the electric start, need for a batery and biger tires. The Mojave uses a kick start that is very cold blooded to help keep down weight. The biger tires give the Lakota more ground clearence but not much.
As far as speed, you can listen to thirteen year olds rant and rave but the facts have been posted a hundred times befor, so why dont I post them agian. In a 300 yard drag race the the Mojave will beat the Lakota but only by one and a half bike lingths. The lakota is 2 mph slower then the Mojave. Thats all! On an MX track the Lakota is a little bit faster because of the weight. The reason is because the suspenson both bikes use is too stiff even at its lowest setting. The heaver bike has the advantage because altho its heaver this softens the supension and everyone knows that on an MX track soft supension is more idea than hard suspension. MX track the Lakota is faster. Both are faster than a stock 300ex, 250x, blaster,and trail blazer.
The Mojave does have the faster top end but the Lakota has the better bottom end. Both basicly use the same frame so the plastics are the same and almost all of the after market parts are interchangable.
So what does all of this mean? The Lakota starts easier, is easier for beginers to learn on and is basicly more relaxed. The Mojave is lighter, manual cluch if thats what your use to, and a better sport. Both are awsome trail bikes and stock they are pretty equil.
All you have to deside is weather you want a manual cluch that you kickstart, or an automatic cluch that you push a button to start. Thier is some more to it but that is the basics.
As for my personal experences I have beaten Mojaves(stock for stock) in every situation,woods, trails, Mx, 4hr cross country, hill climbs, and just about any thing else. I've been raceing dirt bikes since I was 5 and I can handle my self pretty well so if someone wanted to posibly, maybe, put thier money where thier mouth is and pick a time and a place to race for titles, I might be up for it! If not, than you might want to take the time and learn as much as you can befor you voice your OPINION. I am tiered of people giving thier OPINION with no facts to back it up.
Everyone knows on equil machines its all about the rider!

Old 02-18-2003, 01:41 AM
Range Rover

Thinking about taking a trip up north, I hear its lovely this time of year! any one want to get together and ride?
Never been to Canada, I here thier are good MX tracks to race on. I am looking for a reason to take a long riding trip. Ana takers?

Old 02-18-2003, 03:36 AM
Trailblazer

sound good, but do the bikes have aftermarket parts like the blaster?? i want something that'll make a good trail bike, but is somethig that i could later on race in like a 250-300cc racing class. and the 4stroke makes me want it for trail riding, and the prices of used ones make me want one, man they are somewhat cheap, as are blasters, which is why im stuck

Old 02-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

There is not as much aftermarket support for the Mo and Lakota as there is for a Blaster. There is some aftermarket available though. If you want the nost aftermarket availability buy the Blaster. If you want the best quad for what you are talking about using it for, I would suggest the Mojave. It is much more of a sport quad than the Lakota and is far better to race. The lakota is a great quad and I have riden one alot and have built some for my friends using what is available from the aftermarket. But they have a few problems that just can't be overcome if your talking about racing MX. Like 2 valve motor, weight, auto clutch, motor is shifted to the frt of the frame as compaired to the mojave. They can be fairly good XC racers though. There is more aftermarket stuff for the Mojave than the Lakota and it can be made to be a winner in a 250/300 or even 350 cc class. Just a few years ago Todd Knippenburg rode a stock Mojave to a #2 finish for the year in the GNCC against a field of 400 ex's. The handling off the mojave is better than the Lakota on a MX track and anywhere else but it is not for a really big rider.

If you have to have electric start and an auto clutch then the Lakota may be for you. If you want something to hop up, but is a good sport quad to start with look at the mojave. Like I always say, ride them all and then decide.

Old 02-20-2003, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

murphyslaw!
i think that was a rude comit! if U want to listen to 13 year old rant and rave! For one iam not 13, 13 is my racing number! And for second! I bet i could out drive u any day on that POS lakota! So dont be saying stuff about me! U dont even know!

Old 02-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Mojavekid13, by your reply right thier even though u may not be 13, you sure act like your 5.. Grow up

Old 02-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

Evrey time some one on this forum mentions something about a Lakota beating a Mojave it seems like your thier wating to jump on thier a$$. What I said was uncalled for, but I am sick and tiered of people asking honest questions and your right thier with your opinion. Look, the Mojave is a good bike, I can admit it. Hell, I just restored an 87 back to original. Why cant you admit that in stock form they are pretty equil. You have a Mojave and suport the Mojave. I have both, I know the facts. The offer still stands, I love to race, I live to race, I do it for a living on 2 wheels. 4 wheelers are a new hobby for me but raceing has been in my blood for three generations.
That pos Lakota is no where stock but i'll run it and you can run that Mojave thats not stock, just for fun. After all, I race bikes for money but I ride 4wheelers for fun. Its all about fun, or have you forgotten why you got a 4wheeler in the first place? Be cool, state facts, just be honest. The facts say thier equil. why cant you? Kawasaki is a great product, us kawa guys have to stick to gether. Thiers not many of us out thier. Just be cool and stop flaming and I will to.
By the way, post some pictures. I wouldnt mind seeing this hot bike of yours.

Us Kawa guys have to stick together!!

Quick Reply: lakota and mojaves, they got good aftermarket?