Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Melting tail lights & Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melting tail lights & Helmets

I noticed after my last 60 mile mud and yuck trail ride this past weekend, that my brake light wouldnt go out. I asked the dealer today, he tells me a lot of the Prarie's 360's, 650's, 400's, 300's have had sticking foot switches on the foot brake, same switch. He showed me two melted housings caused by this. His advice was "unplug it". I have the four year warranty, and I think I will have it fixed, but how many of you have seen this on your bikes? We trail ride too close, and I need brake lights.

Also looking at Helmets, mainly the AF-SX2 by Fulmer, I think its an MX helmet, but feels good on my melon. What kind do you guys use?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

when i still had my 01 prairie 300 the same thing happened my switch was sticking causing it to leave my break light on i cant remember if my light blew or what but i took the housing off of the back light and it was melted bad it looked like it had caught on fire thank god that it didnt but unfortunatly it got stole may 15 02 just 2 months after i put a set of gator tires on it didnt get to break them in at all man that was a crappy day to find out my baby was gone but i had atv insurance with a $50 deductible so thats how i got my new 03 360 hopefully the light wont melt on this one that break light does come in handy

Old 02-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

i have a vega helmet, looks pretty spiffy. i rigged it with some head phone speakers which also act as ear muffs!

Old 02-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

400PrarieXLT

What safety rating does the AF-SX2 have? You want to look for a helmet with a minimum of a Dot rating, preferably a Snell rating. Another nice option is a removable liner for washing.

Tim

Old 02-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

It is DOT, Snell 2000, and has removable snap in liners. you can link to it at:

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/sub/AFSX2.asp

I like the black one, the green doesnt match my wheeler.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

First I put a 24 volt bulb in the tail light so if my tail light does stick on it would not burn or melt. Keep in mind that this dimms the tail light. Then I disconnected the foot brake light and I use the front brake so it goes on with it.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the helmet today, I like it, feels good. We will have to wait and see if I say that after a 6 hour trip....

Also got my new winch mount today, gotta mount and wire it now.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

My tail light on my 300 melted cause of the same reason. I replaced mine with a led tail light, no more worries of melted lights, plus it looks wicked at night. Another plus is that it prob was half the cost of the factory light. @ years on the quad with no prob yet...Rob

Old 02-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

LED's, why didnt I think of that. Great Idea. I have a bunch of em at work, now I will have to build a circuit. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2001, Prarie 300 with 700 miles. My headlights melted inside the housings! After inspection is noticed the headlight housings were stamped 25 watt but the lights had 30 watt bulbs installed. After calling Kawaski they implied I had messed with the hi/lo switch so both would come on at the same time which was not true. Has anyone else had this problem? Kawaski is refusing to admitt they have a problem. I even sent them photos of the housings stamped with the wattage rating but they still insist I was the cause. I would like to hear from anyone out there with this type of problem.

Thanks,

Rick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Melting tail lights & Helmets