Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

jetting problems....again

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetting problems....again

Sorry to do this to you guys, but I am having jetting problems. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

About two weeks ago, I changed air filter(K&N), snorkle(Square H), and exhaust(Penland Big Gun). I looked at carbs and decided it was more than I wanted to tackle. Called the dealer, he said no problem, he would put my Dyno Jet kit in, but it will be a couple weeks.

Dropped it off on Monday, and told dealer to use the Dyno Jet instructions, 132 and 136 jets, except use needle on 4th setting instead of 5th, mixture screws 3 turns out. Dealer called today and said that it was ready to pick up.

When I got there, mechanic said everything went smooth, and he didn't have any problems. Told me that the throttle response was great, and that "I should hang on, because that thing is a hand full!!"

When I got it home, I started it up and let it warm up while I put some things away. It started and idled fine, revved OK in nuetral. Got on it and started to ride around, everything still OK. Went to full throttle and noticed that it was cutting out. By that, I mean it wasn't a smooth rev to red line, it was sort of popping but not coughing. I rode for about 15 min and problem persisted, at all other throttle positions, it seems fine, but wide open, it cuts out.

Pulled back into the garage and noticed that I was dripping anti-freeze, now I'm really started to get PI$$ED!!!! Called the dealer and talked to the mechanic, he said that the hose that warms the carbs was probably loose and that he would tightened it for me. I asked about the cutting out and he said no problem he would take care of that also.

I am taking it back on Saturday, but would like to have some opinions on what could be causing the cutting out. It actually ran better before the rejet. I know some people on here have been inside these carbs more than most Kawasaki mechanics. I would like to know before hand what could be wrong, in case the dealer tries to snow me. I trust and value everyone's opinion, so don't hold back. Let me know what you think could be wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

sounds a little to lean on the main jet

Old 02-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I had that, does it back-fire? I think it was my needle they replace, it was in the carbs. get it fixed now because it cost me a battery. And pull starter works good when it acts up. If it acts up try the pull cord... you can turn it over with 2 fingers very freaky.

Old 02-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Your going to have to do a plug check to see if you're lean or rich. Many of us had poor luck with the Dyno Jet kits.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

You want it straight, here it is. DYNO JETS, " SUCK ". There has been hundreds of threads describing how the DJ jets work and yet people still put out the big bucks for something that is not a viable product. You would have been better to stay with the stock set rather than the DJ's. I have a DJ set that I can't sell because anyone who has had them are not happy with them and can't sell them.

When you bought PBR's Big Gun exhaust did he not send a 145 keihin jet with the muffler as this is given with PBR. I have talked with Mike several times and he advocates the keihin jet so I don't know how you came up with the DJ jet. If you do a search on the forum under jets you will find so much information about the jets it will take a week to go through it all. I get 10 e-mails a day from people asking about jetting their P650 I have had a few fellows send me their carbs because their dealers use those stupid DJ things and still wont work properly. I think you have learned a valuable lesson the unfortunate part is it cost hard earned bucks to find this out.

I will say this again for anyone who is interested, the largest DJ jet is at least one size smaller in volume than the stock Keihin jets already in the quad. How do I know this, well apart from having the carbs apart more than 30 times trying every conceivable combination the results were verified on a dyno.

I apologize for jumping on your case, this jetting issue has been run through the mill so many times. In the same breath I know the jets can be a pain but do-able.

I have a question for you, maybe you might object to answering me after this thread LOL. WHAT IS A SQUARE " H " SNORKEL?

Old 02-21-2003, 02:23 AM
Range Rover

Why did you have the mechanic use the 4th needle clip instead of the 5th?

Shane

Old 02-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

I agree I am learning a valuable lesson. Some of us aren't as mechanically inclined as others, and are intimidated by the mass of hoses, cables and screws that make up our carbs. I asked for everyone's help, and that is what I am getting. Alltoys, you are going to have to jump harder than that to hurt my feelings!! LOL

I have read every jetting post on 4 different forums going back over a year, and I thought I was making an educated decision. I know some say to stay away from DJ kits, but others have had no probs. My lack of knowledge led me to buy a kit, w/instructions, rather than trying to buy individual jets, and hope that I got the right one. Then theres the fact that Nyroc is running mixed needles and jets, and I am supposed to know what is right?!? I thought I was doing the right thing by asking the mechanic to use use the 4th notch for a modded exhaust, did I not read all of these posts right?

What about my question about the coolant leak? Any ideas? Thanks again everyone for your help!

Old 02-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Brian T, do not be intimidated by the quad. You will learn more as you go.

The DJ mains are leaner at full throttle high rpm than the kehin ones (if you are comparing a kehin and dj jet that are similarr at mid throttle).

I noticed this myself, and at one point I thought my 650 was faster in the summer with the dj jets than with kehin. But because I ride all year round, I sortof feel that the kehin jet is best overall.

I can't argue for or against Alltoys' dyno results in testing the dj kit against the stock jets. I'm still slowly evaluating the DJ kit mysefl.

You CAN get your 650 to run wonderfully well (even much better than stock) with a DJ kit. The DJ instructions provide a base to start from. You should never just run with those settings without being sure it is jetted right.

Alltoys might be speaking over your head right now, don't worry. Alltoy's takes ATV modification more seriously than most of us. Although he does know what he is talking about, he sometimes talks a bit over some people's heads (mine), beyond their experience, or beyond their interest in doing what he does. Listen to him, learn from him, but wait until you understand what he is talking about before you scrap the DJ kit.

My advice: Get the dynojet ket adjusted right first. After that, if you aren't satisfied or just want it even better, go back a learn what the advanced ATV riders do to theirs, like adjusting the stock needle, dial a jet and so forth. Eventually I bet Alltoys will have a supercharger kit for sale.

I use DJ needle on the 5th, and kehin 142/145. Try it, might work for your mods and elev.

Old 02-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Briant: I also had the exact same result after getting my DJ kit installed ( by the dealer as well) and I'm still trying to find the right combination of mains. I am also not to mechanically inclined but I try to be. A scary combination I know. I'm currently unable to ride the machine due to weather but come April will be hard at it.

I ride at 3000 to 5000' so will have leaner jets then you guys closer to sea level. My mains are at 124,128 and are too lean. It doesnt cut out like yours are but is really gutless in the top end. I think I actually lost about 5 mph after jetting. I'm going to try 128/132 first chance I get. After reading your post I'm thinking you might be too rich with 132/136 mains. What altitude are you riding at. Switching back to kehin jets like nyroc did is also an option but like he also said you'll have to tinker before getting the right combo. Hope this helps. good luck

Bob

Old 02-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

I almost forgot. I also had a coolant leak after the dealer rejetted. Turns out he had removed the carbs to rejet them. When I asked him why he had to remove the carbs to rejet them he said he didnt want to strip the screws holding on the float bowls where the mains are located. This cost me extra in labour and needless to say I wont be going back to this dealer bu t your mechanic may have done the same thing. I got the impression from my mechanic that this procedure was as per the kawasaki maintenace manual.

If you had the same leaky hose it is easily fixed and accessible.

Bob

Quick Reply: jetting problems....again