Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

TECATE loyals,where are you all.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TECATE loyals,where are you all.

ok wheres all my fellow tecate owners and riders,speak up i wanna hear from you .it's time we had a little role call and find out whats going on with you guys.any one have any questions about their machine sor need anything please just ask i will do anything in my power to help the fellow tecate guys out.

Old 03-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll bite.

I've got two (an '87 and an '88). The '87 is in pieces, and the '88 is my duning machine.

Lately I've been tossing around the possibility of putting a KX500 motor in my '87. Haven't you
already done this, Killer? What can you tell me about the swap (fabrication, problems to contend with, etc).
What did you do to compensate for the un-counterbalanced motor?

Old 03-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Present. Tecates are awesome bikes with huge potential. I've had mine for about ten years now and am currently giving it a makeover. Killerkx, I will PM you about the work you are doing for me. There are those in the forums who I don't want finding out till it's too late[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. Take care all.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

well since everyone is here i have a question, does anyone still make an exhaust for the tecates other than fmf or am i gonna have to modify a kx250 pipe? btw killer, finally found all the parts, outta have her back this time next week [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2003, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Killerkx, is Sprock Racing still in business? I ask this cause I called the number and the operator or whatever said that the number doesn't exist or something.

Old 03-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I should be a tecate Loyal. I had a chance to buy 2 different Tecate 3 for super cheap. The first one($150), I didnt know how much a rear shock and carb cost, so i passed(now I know GRRR)

The second one, i already had my banshee and didnt have the money($200) or the space. So i told a buddies kid, who bought it and totally jacked it up.. GRRRR again..

Always on the lookout though...

RoostKing...

Old 03-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

Hey man, what's up? The '88 restoration project is coming along real nice. I think that I'm a few weeks away from a rolling chassis. At this point I'm mostly waiting for parts to arrive.

As far as Sprock Racing goes -- everything that I've gathered says that they're out of business. Nobody is able to get in touch with Corey.

On the exhaust side, I've been looking/researching the heck out of that. I have a stock head pipe and an FMF. I'm not going to run the FMF and the stock pipe is quite a bit heavier. I asked John about modifying a pro circuit pipe to work and he said that it wouldn't be right. So I guess that we're stuck calling salvage yards. I checked with eastcoast and they don't have any pipes right now. But as far as manufacturers, FMF is the only one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

sprock racing is out of business.so all you tecate nuts can quit wasting your time trying to get ahold of corey.so those of you looking for good quality motor work you can get ahold of me i do basic rebuilds,265,295 and 330 kits.crank rebuilds and anything else you could possibly want done and chassis work as well and any of the parts you could want.

if you call graydon proline they will make you a pipe.and it is better then the fmf and stocker.i think they charge around $275 for a complete system in chrome.it's made by powerpro's.it's the exact same pipe that TRINITY,LRD and CT use to sell.

brianc as for putting a kx500 motor in a tecate there is alot of machine work to be done and alot of motorwork.
that is if you want it done right.alot of people have just bolted them in and then cobbled a bunch of crap to make it work.but to do it right you will need to offset the drive sprocket,build a very strong extended kicker.the stock tecate shifter fits perfect.you will need to fabricate new removable front motor mounts and weld in an all new bottom motor mount setup.the head needs to be modified for the water outlet to clear the gas tank petcock.the underside of the gastank will need to be heated up and caved in a little to clear the plug.the kickstarter deal is the hardest to get right and the most expensive part cause you'll have to buy another kickerstarter shaft and lower kickstart knuckle,so that they can be modified and welded.
then you get into the engine this is where most of the hard work is done.the crank and complete rotating assembly needs to be balanced,and the clutch assembly.then i use a PVL ignition with a 17oz. flywheelwieght.and put on a antivibe steering stem with antivibe bar mounts inside the handlebars.that all makes it pretty smooth once all that is done.
but you better hold on cause i gaurantee that you've never felt anything that accellerates as hard as a kx500 motor in a tecate chassis.
i'm sure most of you know what a kx500 dirtbike feels like,well double that,cause you are actually putting down more torque and horsepower to the ground now then you do on a bike.
if it's done right it's a super fast and reliable machine that will not be beat buy a mere ol'Lt500.even hopped up banshees are no match for a 500 power tecate.
then imagine one of my 540 kits or a 580 or 640 kit in it on nitrous and alcohol?now thats fun.a 400# pound quad with 120 hp.you better eat your wheaties and put on a diaper.

well i guess this concludes this reply,if any of you have any more questions or need anything feel free to email me at bandbracing@charter.net or PM me here.i don't check the forum everyday so if it's urgent email me for faster reply.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, thanks for the info, Killer!
I'm a machinist, have a CNC lathe and mill at my disposal, and also a full welding/fabrication shop (and we like to build cool toys!).
Sounds like it'll be a reasonably easy project, with just a little forethought.
I also have a reputable shop in the area that can do the balancing of the reciprocating assembly. No problem there!
I love the feel of my Tecate, I just want to have GONZO power for climbing sand hills, without having to pump the bejeezus out
of the 250. I'm not big on big-displacement kits as I want power AND the reliability of a claw hammer. The KX500 fits that bill.

What about cooling issues? I assume the stock 250 radiator is not going to be enough. Have you found any off-the-shelf, higher capacity coolers that fit?

Old 03-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

the stock radiator is more then adequate for cooling the 500 down.
first strip the radiator down to bare aluminum and leave it bare,thats good for about and extra 15 degrees of cooling and mix 1 gallon of distilled water with 3 oz. of water wetter.and thats all you'll need.

Quick Reply: TECATE loyals,where are you all.