Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tires and front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and front end vibration

Kawi650,

I run the same tires, with the same top end but still have quite a vibration over 60kph. Your not having any problems at all? Maybe its time to check my alignment again as mastrblastr suggests, it has been a rough winter on quads and maybe I knocked the toe-in out.

Old 03-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Scotia, I had 400 kms on my quad when I put my 589s on and I checked my toe-in before I touched a thing. It was toed in 3/8 of an inch right from the factory. Set it to 1/16 of an inch toe-in and haven't had a lick of trouble since.

Kawi650, I heard quite a few guys were having trouble with the titan 589s not being balanced. They were real good about replacing my front tires when they couldn't be balanced. Didn't even question me on it or nothing. They just sent me a new set and said they hoped that this would take care of any problems. All in all they were great to deal with.

Old 03-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with NOVAKAW650

I did alot of research before I replaced the junk stock dunflops on my 650.

I have a set of 26 mudrunners 12 inch back and 10 inch on the front usiong stock rims
I am very happy with them in both mud and trail riding. These tires really are great in the snow. I have a 72 inch snow blade and can push it with 12 inches of snow with no problem. Riding a pavements is no problem even over 35 mph. I did however lose few MPH on top end so now I will only hit 57 MPH not 62 like before. So if anyone is looking into tires look into the goodyear mudrunner I have them on my 650 for over 1 year now and have abpout 500 miles on them with no holes

Old 03-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

I use a bubble tire balancer and stick on weights (JC whitney). Works excellent. My tire store said they can get my wheels in their balancer.

Sometires it is hard to tell the difference between tire wobble and steering jerk. Like Mastrblaster said, make sure the toe in is 0-1/16.

Old 03-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

nyroc,
Did the stick on weights come with the bubble balancer?

Old 03-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

No. I bought them separate.

I hate my bubble balancer. It has a built in inaccuracy. I had to write a vector addition program in Mathcad to take balance readings in 4 positions and average them in order to use it. I didn't get the balance from jcwhitney. So, maybe if you get yours from there it will be better than my.

But, even though I need a computer to use my balancer, the tire I balance stop shaking.

I haven't felt a shake or a jerk for a long time. I did, however, hear a "Pop" when my brittle trim plastic broke on my last ride.

Old 03-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Scotia: I don't think I'm having problems over 60 it doesn 't handle as well as the mudrunners but it is still very controllable. I had them installed by Freedom our local dealer and really did not here boo about this issue until now. I was running today at very high speeds the are fine. Questions? do you keep your rims clear of ice and snow? what pressure are you running, I'm running 5 front 4 back, gor the first 3 weeks I had 9 all around, (and it handled like a jellybean). I noticed my diffi cable is out of adjustment and diff is basically locked on all the time, but mine hands great in 2 and 4 wd. Now a friend took it and he said it dives a lot and we think that's something I'm just acustom to.

Old 03-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Kawi,

I run 3.5 lbs front, 4.5 back. Lol keeping anything clear of snow and ice this year! However, today we rode, everything was dry and it seemed to be a bit better. So I'm thinking that part of the problem was buildup and maybe part is toe-in.

Old 03-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Mastercraft hammers... I use the rubber part of the handle everytime I stop and clear my rims and the inside aswell and my front brakes and arms.

Old 03-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Range Rover

Well here's the update the right side tire is flat it was sent with a hole in the side wall good QC work put air in it put it on jack stands and put in 4wd sped it up and the other side wobbles so looks like they are going to replace both front tires waiting for there call back.Next, is it a pain to make my toe in at 0. I am handy with a wrench put bike only has 120 miles on it don't want to do anything that will void warranty

Quick Reply: Tires and front end vibration