Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Black secondary and Red primary ride and install

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black secondary and Red primary ride and install

Yesterday was my first ride - although short - with Black secondary and Red primary in my P650. We have a bunch of snow still on the ground, so I'm anxious to try it out on some good turf. We all know the upsides of the Black spring, so I'll skip on the description.

The Red primary takes some getting used to. It's kind of like driving my Impala SS with the 2500RPM stall TC. Lock up is delayed briefly while the engine spins up so that when it does lock up, you get a more immediate response. That sounds contradictory, but you have to experience it. I've seen a few comments that it would not work for rock crawling, but it's really not that severe or uncontrolled. It doesn't take but a few minutes to get used to it and be able to control it. It is very predictable, so you quickly get the feel for when it is going to engage.

I also like the delay it introduces in to the KEBC. It gives you a second or two when you back off the gas of freewheel. However, when it does let the KEBC kick in, it is stronger braking. This may be more a funciton of the Black spring though. The Red spring is a much easier install than the secondary, so if you try it and don't like it, you can put the stock one back in without much effort. It's also relatively inexpensive.

As a side note, I built a spring compressor for the secondary drawing against NYROC's site. I tried a PVC cap, but it's not rigid enough to not bulge out around the spring retainer when installing the Black spring. Instead, I used a piece of 3/16" steel bar 1.5" wide and 6" long. Drill the center hole for the threaded rode, then bend the bar in the middle into a V shape so that there is a 2"difference between the center and the ends. This setup gives you plenty of room to get the circlip back on. I think that either the bar stock or steel endcap are the way to go. PVC works okay for the stock spring, but it is too soft for the new spring.

Get a good circlip pliers too, the one I have has the interchangable tips and just doesn't open as wide as it really should. It makes it a two man operation.

Dang, this turned out to be long. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Regards,
SgtRock

Old 03-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

Hey I just installed a black and red spring also and my first ride was yesterday with snow and slush on the ground. I was wondering did you have any trouble getting from low to high, high to reverse, reverse to low etc. etc. I like the way the red spring kicks in but i do not like this problem. I know you have to blip the throttle to get it to go in but now since the rpms is up you have you rev more. Have you had this problem?

Old 03-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't notice that problem yet, but I spent all my time in low. I'll keep an eye out for that and let you know. The only time I have trouble shifting is when I'm at a dead stop with the brakes on. If I take the break off, I usually don't have a problem.

I've noticed this hard shifting leads to the shifter being out of adjustment. The shift rod is too flimsy and when you tug too hard on the shift ****, the rod flexes and goes out of adjustment. I just reach under the body work and gently flex the shift rod if it seems to be out of adjustment and the problem goes away.

SgtRock