Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Nyroc, very important question (please reply ASAP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nyroc, very important question (please reply ASAP)

on your web page under "prairie 650 belt life,problems etc..." you state that if your belt is too loose it is bad because you are wearing grooves in the sheave and and develope a glazed surface. well my belt has been squeeling on takeoff for about the last month or so. i have ridden it about 10 times or so since it started this. do you think that i've really screwed anything up yet? after reading that on your page i'm not going to ride it until i get the belt tightened and get the black spring put in. do you think there could be grooves in the sheave already? i'm one of the dumb ones that dont have the guts or knowledge to just tear into my wheeler and put the spring in and tighten the belt myself so i'll have to have the dealer do it. should i have them check for the grooves or wait and see if they say anything to me about it? i just want everything to be right. its just after reading that i have been sick to my stomach worried that i tore something up before i even knew it.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

No need for sick stomach feelings (yet).

Grooves are bad, yes, but you may not have made them very bad yet.

However, the dealer may see the slight grooving you have and replace the pulleys. sometimes they won't replace it under warranty because it is a wear item. You might start feeling sick at this point.

However, if you replaced the belt and installed the black spring yourself and ignored the grooves, you might find that the grooves aren't bad enough to affect your takeoff. Not a big deal. Just try to minimize them in the future. Nyroc's knowledge base strives to inform people like you about the ways to reduce belt and pulley wear. It's in there, look it up.

$90 for a belt, $25 for a spring and $5 for nyrocs spring compressor tool (you make it yourself). Easier than doing brakes on the car.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:28 AM
Range Rover

thats what i'm afraid of. the quad is no longer under warranty.not saying they are grooved yet but if they are do you have ANY clue how much the pulleys cost? hundreds of dollars? if they do wear grooves that quick then thats a bunch of bull crap!! you would think that they would be made a little better than that. the thing that really sucks is that right now at this very minute we are getting one hell of a snow storm and i want to plow some snow in the morning but am afraid to with that belt. CRAP!!!!!!! what do ya think?

Old 03-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

Don't panic yet.

Took the clutch cover off a friend's 650 yesterday. Belt's been groaning on takeoff for about 2 weeks. Had 1.25" belt deflection(all shims removed) so we ordered a new belt. Clutch faces were perfect, not a mark. For peace of mind, just pull the cover off and look.
It only takes 10 min.

Old 03-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

DITTO, what all others have said. Most likely you'll be OK. Do the adjust ASAP. Be SURE to use a decent "fish-scale" to get the tension in spec.

Old 03-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Don't panic even if the is a slight groove. I would be willing to bet no one has grooves in there clutch like I do. ours comes from pulling, as the same speed all the time.

The dealer would be more than happy to sell you a new clutch or parts, but don't do it. Just take your clutch of the bike, take the 8 x 6mm bolts out of the end, take your spring out, the clutch will open up, inspect it for any sharp edges, if there is fix them, clean your clutch with isopropal alcohol, before you reinstall the clutch.

Clean the back clutch (driven) before you get done. Most of the grooving will be on the drive clutch.

I recommend cleaning your clutches often, anytime your clutch slips it glazes the surface and allows for more slipping. Every time you clean your clutch wipe the sides of your belt down to, use ISOPROPAL ALCOHOL.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Rammy,
Don't sweat it! My P650 was slipping for a few rides as well, before I adjusted belt and put in black spring. Yes, my clutch has slight grooves in it, but pulled out all shims, put in EPI black spring, and it is running fine. Only thing I now notice is that the belt makes squealing noice when I stop, unless I immediately put transmission in neutral. I think that is because the clutch is grabbing the belt so much more tightly now! A good thing.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

nyroc

is the only way to tighten your belt by using shims? if so i probably just need a new belt because i have the factory shims in it and the belt is pretty loose. i have never had the thing apart so i dont know if i have one shim or two from the factory. like i said before i know NOTHING about this thing!! i'm just assuming the belt is loose because it squeels on takeoff and when under load. (pushing snow with plow)

Old 03-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Rammy,

You need to remove shims from your secondary clutch, with closes the sheaves togeather, driving the belt up to tighten it. Nyroc has instructions on his site on how to do this as well as instructions on building a tool for this purpose. If your not comfortable with doing this, take it to a dealer because you need to measure the belt deflection to determine what shims to remove.

Old 03-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scotia650 - Rammy,

You need to remove shims from your primary clutch
Scotia650 - that would be the secondary clutch.

Quick Reply: Nyroc, very important question (please reply ASAP)