Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Black Spring install price

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Spring install price

Ordered my Black Spring for my 650 and thought I would call my dealer to find out how much it cost to do the install. The repair shop did not have a clue as to what the Black Spring was!!! After looking in the manual for about 5 min , decided to charge me 150.00 $ even tho he had no idea what i was talking about!! I remember reading somewhere on this sight that dealers were charging 30- 40 for the install. That is how I knew I was being overcharged. So I am looking for someone to do it for me--------not something I feel confident doing. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Trane

Old 03-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

NO NO NO, don't pay no $150 dollars, i drove my buggy into the nearest shop and he installed mine in 30 mins. charge me half hour labour, $18. Tell him its the secondary clutch spring, maybe he'll figure it out then.

Old 03-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't looked at the PVT on my 700 yet, but the primary spring is an easy 5 minute change on a Polaris.

Old 03-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

If you've done the spring install before, you can do the complete swap of secondary spring in about 15mins tops.. This is if you have the right tools..

10 bolts to take off, with air rachet takes about a minute or so, unplug 2 plugs holding cvt cover on. Then remove belt, takes 20 seconds or so. Then remove 27mm bolt holding on secondary pulley with impact, takes maybe a few seconds. Slide on the spring compressor tool that nyroc has and tighten it down with rachet/wrench and that's done in about a minute, remove circlip, take off tool, put on new spring, put tool back together.. compress it back and reseat circlip and then remove compressor tool.. total 5mins for that if you know what you're doing. grease shaft and slide pulley back on, grab trusty torque wrench and tighten down, another 1-2min, put belt back on, put cover on and hook plugs back up and tighten back bolts..

It's real simple.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Trane,

There's a dealer advertising in our area, $150 canadian, front and rear spring and installation included. Besides, it sounds like you know more about it than the dealer, do you really want them touching your bike. I think that if your not comfortable trying this yourself, at least look for a dealer that you have confidence in.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

While it seems to only take 30 mins or so to physically change out the spring, it does take a bit longer to change out the spring, check belt deflection, find you need to remove shims, take it all apart and do that, put it back together, test deflection, etc. Seeing that most shop mechanics aren't ever able to work without complete distraction i.e. questions, phone calls, bs'ing....I can easily see this realistically taking an hour or more at a dealership. My dealer told me that 'book time' for R&R the spring and set deflection is 1.8 hours.

For what it's worth, my quad has approx 600 miles on it, just had the black spring installed last week, and there's no squeal anytime. They removed one shim and my deflection was 25mm, middle of the range. Removing both put it tighter than 22mm. Since my belt was half worn out already from 600 miles with no black spring, we figure that once I do install a new/tighter belt with the current shim setup that yields 25mm, will be perfect, right around 22mm...