Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New 700, 2 things that definitely need changed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 700, 2 things that definitely need changed

The stock clutching on the 700 is horrible in my opinion, my Scrambler 400 feels way, way better than the V-Force. Hookup is too soon causing it to wheelie too easily and keeping it from reaching max rpm as soon as it could. Once different spring, weight, and helix combinations start coming out, I think we'll notice big improvements in speed on these machines.

Obviously the stock exhaust system is choking this thing, probably at least as much as the stock Raptors. No way a 700 twin should sound this mild. I fully expect another 10HP minimum from a good Yoshi or CT exhaust system.

Other than those 2 things, I'm very happy with it. I'll line it up tomorrow with a couple of piped Banshees after its broken in and see what it'll do stock.

Old 03-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

That is what concerned me about the 700. When I talked to my dealer that went down to Florida, it sounded like he had to keep fighting to keep the front end down. He said when he went into a corner then got on it, it would lift the front end and he could not steer. So he had to let off and get straight, then gun it. But it sounds like the front end is light, and with all the weight of the fuel in the rear, it will be hard to keep the front end down. This could be a problem, especially for a beginner.

Also you are right about the pipe. When they started it, I expected a big rumble, but all I heard was a purrr. My stock Predator has a deeper rumble then the 700. Way resticktive, but the duel pipe should help. I came close to trade in the Predator for it, but for right now, I feel the Predator will offer me more.

Old 03-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

KevinM. I couldn't agree more with the exhauast. When my dealer first started it up in a wharehouse type showroom, I expected the walls to shake. I was let down. It's good and better this way. It's good that Kawi decided to make things politically correct with the noise and it's better because aftermarket systems will make this thing roar with power. I don't know about the cvt though. Wheely easy-yes. But I'm sure some people will want it this way. With there being no clutch, I would almost want to have to feather my starts than have to overwork to get my wheelies. Awesome bike to be sure. I will keep mine forever and be happy.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

I had a very brief stint on STecate925's new machine and I too was impressed with it. The only thing that I would like to see changed is the location of the button that you have to depress to change gear. The ergonomics would be a lot better if it was located towards the front of the machine so you could use your index finger and pull it in while you turn it. As it is now, you have to decide between using the palm of your hand of your thumb (which is real awkward).

All and all I was very impressed with it.

Old 03-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

You are definately going to have to change your riding style for the 700. Going to have to use the brakes a lot more to control this beast. Also this machine is NOT for beginers at all! This is for experienced riders only otherwise someone will get hurt on this machine!

Old 03-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I took the V Force for a test ride in the parking lot and was amazed at the clutching. It backshifts/decelerates like a manual shifter with no freewheeling like other autos. This is one seriously beefy machine. It is heavy duty for sure. The KFX400 looks like a toy next to it.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Arnt they all toys? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there Shane.............too early to tell. The weather is still pretty crappy here and all I did was make a few trips up and down his drive way. In another month or so, we will be able to get some real testing/racing done. He is still breaking it in, no use pushing it right off the bat. It will be interesting.

I am glad that I extended my swing arm this year.........it seems that my hole shot is going to important this year. Last year I had enough make up power to overtake them when I botched my holeshot due to wheeling.

It will be fun, I am looking forward to the challenge.

Old 03-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

It is interesting. I've been reading alot of stuff about Raptors beating the 700. But I don't believe anything from anybody until I see it for myself. Modded is one thing. Raptors have had mods for years now. I can't wait to open up the V-force. Most drags are for a set distance. I don't care if the v-force isn't fastest going down the highway, there will always be something faster in that arena, ALWAYS. But the short, accelerated trip down a drag strip, that's where the power is truely displayed and the V-force WILL come out on top there.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Just as long as it doesn't end up on top of me when it comes to a bone grinding screaching halt!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]