Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p650 tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p650 tires

just wanted some input on some mud tires for this machine. i was thinking of the itp 559 m/s. the blackwater xt looks pretty aggressive also just wanted some input on these tires. also i saw that titan makes a 559 m/t which looks alittle more aggressive than the 559 from ipt. just want some input from people who have had experience with these tires and how they perform in different situations. thanks alot

Old 03-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default p650 tires

Welcome to the forum,

I find that my 589's (ITP) perform very well in the trails, mud & snow. They are a little agressive for extensive road running because of the rough ride at high speeds. I think that you will find the ITP's or the Titan's to be almost the same in performance and look. Myself and two other friends I ride with all run the 589's and have no complaints whatsoever. If you want more details on specific riding conditions, just ask. Enjoy, and again, welcome.

Steve

Old 03-21-2003, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default p650 tires

Dreck, unless mud is a priority, the kenda bearclaw is a better all around tire than the others you mentioned. Not near as good in the mud.

589s are a great all around performer.

In tests and according to a few people's personal experience, the goodyear mudrunner is better in mud than the 589 and rides a little smoother. Good high speed handling. It does not hook up as well on hardpack (tradeoff). They are also overpriced.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default p650 tires

Nyroc is correct. I had the Mudrunner on my old Rancher and it was an EXCELLENT mud tire and did not do bad on the trails. It is not bad on hard pack but also it is not good. The price is a little higher than most but mine wore VERY well and you can get them in the RUN-FLAT style which could be pretty nice. I have not used the 589's but have heard complaints about the trail handleing on hard pack and they were "not as good in mud" from other s that have had them. However they are still 1000 times better than the stock tires and I am sure you would be happy with them also. Ask around and see if you can find someone that has a pair of them on their bike and take it for a little ride. Good luck and happy riding!

Old 03-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default p650 tires

if i were to get the goodyear mudrunners would i have to get new rims also or can you put them on the stock tires? and does anybody know when the 04 kawasakis come out or did the 03s recently come out? thanks alot

Old 03-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default p650 tires

i meant to say can you put them on the stock rims. sorry

Old 03-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default p650 tires

Yes you can mount any tire that is fairly close in size to the stock rim without a problem, heck you can even mount a larger tire without a problem. Just pay attention to the rim size and make sure you get the correct size (not sure what machine you have to get you the rim size). Also some machines (some Honda at least) use different size rims in the front than in the back. I mounted a set of 25" mudlites on my stock rims and it works great (went with 25's because i wanted the lower CG that the stock size would give me and I am not always in mud by any means).
Good luck - oh check around on the net and you will be surprised to see the difference in prices that are out there...

Old 03-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default p650 tires

Originally posted by: Scotia650
Welcome to the forum,

I find that my 589's (ITP) perform very well in the trails, mud & snow. They are a little agressive for extensive road running because of the rough ride at high speeds. I think that you will find the ITP's or the Titan's to be almost the same in performance and look. Myself and two other friends I ride with all run the 589's and have no complaints whatsoever. If you want more details on specific riding conditions, just ask. Enjoy, and again, welcome.

Steve
Did you notice any change in low to midrange power with your 28" 589's? What size of wheel and tire are you running on the front. Would you change your setup any? What kind of conditions do you typically ride in? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm having a hard time making a tire selection. Thanks

Old 03-22-2003, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default p650 tires

Beardog,

I noticed a small loss on the bottom end but the bike makes more than enough power to turn the 28's without any problem. I can easily get the front end up and have never felt like the tires bogged me down. I run 28x9x12 on front and 28x11x12 on back, mounted on ITP c-series wheels. I love my setup and wouldn't change a thing. Lately I've been riding in snow, snow & more snow, but the mud season is coming. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I trail ride quite a bit, mud whenever I can, and run some open dirt roads. I might note that nyroc is correct, these tires are not known for their "smoothness" at higher speeds, so if you do log alot of road time you might want to consider another option. However, if snow, mud & likewise sloppy conditions are your thing, then I highly recommend these tires, I've never been disappointed. If you've got more questions, ask away. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Steve

Old 03-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default p650 tires

Scotia650

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Thanks for the info. My dealer said he would have a set of 28" 589's installed on a 650 Monday. I will have to check it out. I noticed that you have a 2" lift kit. Was it easy to install? Does the bike feel top heavy or tippy on corners? It seams like I get hung up on logs or rocks easy. I might consider a lift if it doesn't have too many drawbacks. I can't wait to hear some testimonials on the new cdi I'm sure this would more than make up for any lost power [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: p650 tires