Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Twin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Air Filter

Is the 2003 filte design that much better Nyroc, to spend 125 to change over?

Old 03-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

Hey guys when i first bought my twin air filter the dealer messed up and ordered me a 02 filter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] All that came with it was a 1/2 thick piece of foam. When i finally got my right filter (for an 03) it just came with a foam filter. Cost 27.00 clams, took 15 seconds to install and i rode a wheelie right after i installed it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Before with the stock 03 filter i couldn't [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] But all and all it's a great mod that isn't to expensive. I just maintain my filter with k&n filter cleaner and oil. Cost 17.00 for bolth at dealer.

One last thing i checked my plugs before and after the filter mod. Not to much difference, it looked just a hair leaner. I rejeted from a 132 F 138 R to a 135 F 140 R just to be safe.

Hope this helps...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin Air Filter

BJones,

I am in the exact same boat as 2003650; Twin Air apparantly just started shipping the '03 filters a couple of weeks ago. I ordered it in Feb. and it just arrived in Mid-March. I put mine on (and all that it is, is the foam piece that surrounds the Stainless/Alum. frame with the three wing nuts through it) and went riding this past weekend at the Hatfield McCoy Trail System in southern WV. It seemed to make a difference, but not a night/day difference over the stock air filter. I just finished cleaning it however and DAMN was it dirty! (It was dusty as hell all weekend and we probably rode close to 250 miles.) I'm using the Twin-Air blue filter oil and it seems like the "real deal"; tacky as hell!

Good Luck

Old 03-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Twin Air Filter

I'm not understanding the need to switch the airbox to an '03 from the '02? What am I missing here? The K&N's are round pleated paper elements and the TwinAir's are foam that you have to switch out as mentioned...it's very simple. I also have the TwinAir blue oil and it works well but is NASTY. Try not to get it on your hands...yeah right.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

LEt us know nyroc if there is any improvment on performance witht the upgrade to warent the change thanks.

MonteSS

Old 03-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

I will let you know. I do know that K&N's flow better that foam. I also know that the 03 filter has a lot more surface area, so if I get a twin air filter and at least break even on the power I will be happy. I think I will do better on the power. I think an 03 with a twin air will spank an 02 with a K&N.

Roadrashron, my biggest beef with the 02 filter is the lack of area. That spells either more cleanings and/or faster clogs.

My second beef with the 02 filter is the K&N design doesn't seem to seal positively, so I grease it to make sure. That is a mess.

My third beef with the 02 filter is I hacked mine up a bit to snorkle it before I knew about the DiamondG snorkle. The water catch area is gone on mine.

You guys mght not all have as much to gain as I do. I felt that I needed it.

Old 03-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

I can't belive that i finally get to give nyroc some advice. Get the twin air filter and go with the 03 air box you won't be sorry... just like you already stated more surface area, more power= Bigger wheelies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] just kidden but seriously i have nothing bad to say about my twin air filter. (easy to maintain and it provides better dust filtration than a k&n does.(you already now this but i just thought i would remind ya) I really belive that you won't lose any power, if anything i think you will gain power... I did. Let us now how it turns out if you do the mod.

Old 03-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

I have the 03 airbox in my possession right now. I just don't have a filter yet. The total came to $100 without the filter.

Old 03-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Default Twin Air Filter

Just a thought on the K&N filter. Do you think it may be a tad small to compensate for the use of a precharger on it????

Myself, I have been looking at all the filters, K&N, twin air, uni, and moose. I still can't decide on any. With the twin air, you need to spend upwards of $100 for the cleaning stuff, but you could just buy a new filter every two months and have brand new. The moose and uni haven't been mentioned much at all. The stock one really is pretty good for a stock filter if you ask me. Can be cleaned and oiled for about $5.

Old 03-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin Air Filter

Call me stupid for asking, but I'm not exactly familiar with what you are talking about with the twin air cleaning kit. I see the kit on twin air's website, but does that mean you can't use other foam sprays? Or, will you just not get as good of performance unless you use the twin air. I have never owned a twin air filter, and have never used anything but PJ1 on foam.

Can't you just use PJ1 foam filter spray? Is there something better than PJ1 for the stock filter?

Quick Reply: Twin Air Filter