Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Seating bead on tires. *All Done *

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, seating bead on tires!!

yep, same here. Just think though, only 3-5 psi, that isn't much to loose.

Old 04-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

you would think new rims and tires there really shouldn't be an issue but will just keep an eye on it
thanks

Old 04-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

WhereistheMud ... you are braver man than I ..... I would stand in the show room
while someone else puts 50 psi in my tires !

Old 04-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

tires can be a pain, switched out rubicon stockers for gators no problem, changed grizzly 660 stockers with 10 miles or less on them for titan 589's OH MY GOD!!!! what a hard time , they came off easy but the titan rim guards and being so heavy were a major pain, lotsa wd-40 and a ratchet strap around the tire they finally set. Now I have never changed tires before had a friend with a machine and we did it ourselves and got the grizz stock tires off no problem at all (these were brand new rims and tires dont forget) i had originally taken them to a tire place and they said they could not do it because" the tires were on the rim too long" sounds like a load of crap. wouldnt have been so mad but waited on line in a snow storm for an hour just for him to say i cant do it! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

The guy at the tire store that used dish soap to get my bearclaws seated got squirted right in the eye with dish soap. As the beads seated, the rim protector and the bead created a pocket of dish soap that was pressurised by the beat seating. It squirted out like a strong water gun, aimed right in his face.

I get plenty of pats on the back for my website. I even get credit for the exhaust mod, and maybe a couple other things. But, nobody ever mentions my bead breaker. Well, if no one else does, I'm gonna pat myself on the back for a bit here.

My bead breaker is simply awesome. It is made from scrap iron and sits in your hitch.

Add to that a couple of high quality tire irons (made for ATV tires, I got at motorcycle store), and presto chango of the tires. Oh yeah, I don't damage the tires or rims in the process.

All I need is a better connector to use while seating beads and a little brushy thing for dish soap and I won't ever have to go to a tire store to get the job done again.

Here is a photo of the bead breaker.

Old 04-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

That is nice NYROC. Do you have a list of stuff you used to make that bead breaker? Looks like something useful. I really hate taking my stuff to get worked on cause it seems like not many places respect your equipment anymore or really know how to work on it.

Old 04-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Seating bead on tires. *Got rears done, fronts are being a pain*

No parts list yet. That breaker was really just a cob job. It took me 6 tries before I started breaking beads with it. The 4th worked on non dunlop tires. The 5th got bent on a mudrunner that had tight beads. The 6th (photo) is just a stronger remake of the 5th.

It is just made of 2" square tube to slide in the hitch. Some more steel is welded to that to provide something of a base for the rim to rest on.

Then a vertical piece is welded to that to hold the lever. A notch was cut into the top and holes drilled through the sides (at the top) to provide a place for pivot bolt to go through (for the lever).

Another vertical piece is welded to the base where the center of the rim is. Bead breaking forces push the rim against this one.

The lever is just whatever bar you have with a hole in it for a bolt to pivot on. The one I used is bent now but still works great.

Then a 10" piece of 1/4 x 2" flat bar was bent in a curve that sort of follows the radius of the rim. This was welded to a short pipe. Short pieces of bar were welded to the other end with hole drilled in order for it to attach to the lever and pivot.

The key here is the push angle, the bent bar needs to push partly toward the rim and not just straight down. This helps it to not slide off.

That description may be lame, but without showing you the bead breaker in person, all you get is a photo and a lame description. It really is easy to make.

Here is a photo of bead breaker revision #4. Note that the contact bar wasn't bent (part touching rubber). The steel tubing holding onto the lever was thin. And there is a diagonal threded rod thingy (didn't work so I cut it off). That photo does show you things better.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I may start scrounging for some stuff to make one. Great idea using the receiver hitch for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

You might want to remove the valve needle when inflating the tire, you will get more CFM in. It works for me.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Fredo. I got the two rears done and the front left. Just finishing up the front right. I will get pics of them when I am done. The thing I noticed about the fronts is that they don't have the ridge to pop over the rim lip. But they do have some, hmmmm... how do I say this.... some square mesh markings on them that let you know you have the bead seated properly on top of the rim. You will see when I get the pics up.

Quick Reply: Seating bead on tires. *All Done *