Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Seating bead on tires. *All Done *

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, seating bead on tires!!

I am trying to get my bearclaws to seat properly and have a question. I am using the stock rims and would think the tire should pop up and over the lip of the rim (stock rims) so the tire is flush with the rim. It is like this on the inside of both my rear tires but none of the others. I need to know if this is correct for all four tires inside and outside. Please let me know.

Thanks.....

Old 04-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Just a suggestion. Since you are in Big Lake, you could go talk to Nick at Trucks Unlimited, next to Shade Tree. I had him do some tires for me, and he has a new tire machine and is good friends with the guys at Shade Tree. You could tell him I (Joe) sent you, I roofed his house a few years ago and I know him pretty good. He has atv's with aftermarket tires, so he knows what he's doing.

I'm positive that they aren't seated right yet according to your pics, I have seen that on Bearclaws before.

Old 04-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

So you think they should be over that lip of the rim on the outside right? Just like they are on the inside of the rear rims. Still searching for some pics. Found some with mudlites and they look like mine do right now. I broke the bead on the front tires very easily once the air was let out. The rear ones I haven't been able to break yet.

I may stop by there tomorrow. Thanks..

Old 04-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I got one of the rears to seat on the outside. Quite the bang. I forgot how loud that is. Been working on the front one for a long time now. Time for bed. I'll hit it again tomorrow. Then I am going to stop by the place that mounted my tires and talk to them about why they didn't seat the beads all the way. I hate places that don't do the work you pay for......

The tires definately need to mounted properly. I'll get pics of a before and after once I get the front one to seat.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Tire changing is aggravating at times. My experiences.

If you have a hard time breaking the bead, I have laid the tire on the ground and ran it over with the truck as close to the rim as you can get. (Army trick).

When reseating bead. I lube the lip and rim generously with vasaline or soap to help it slide better. There is a max inflation pressure on the tire. I also put a ratchet strap around the center of the tire and cinch it well to help guide it. Yes it is a he!! of a bang when it pops into place. It is somewhat dangerous to be standing beside it when putting 25-30 # of air in these but.... Sometime down the road I would like to get one of those clip on chucks and a pressure regulator.

I have found that it is not that bad and did not like to part with the 9$ apiece to have it done downtown, besides the place is closed now anyway.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

Whereisthemud, I was unsuccessful at getting Bearclaws to seat. I took them to the tire store.

They used dish soap generously on the bead and rim. Then they had to pump it up to 50lbs, which is beyond the bead seat pressure listed on the tire. It scared the crap out of me when the bead seated. Not because of the banging sound itself, but because I was already afraid the tire was going to pop when the bang came.

The bead protectors did not quite fully pop over the edge of the rim, but they are fine.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

I used H2O the last time, because it evaporates, leaves no slippery residue. You have to air 'em up to 40-55 PSI sometimes, to get'em to "pop" over that little ridge made into the inside bead of the wheel. IF that doesn't work, air it up to 30PSI, and go ride around on some hard /rough surface, it'll "pop" on after a while. They CAN BE a pain in the @$$!!!! You almost have it!

Old 04-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah tell me about it. They are being a pain. The thing that ticks me off is I paid the place $40 to do this and they didn't even do it right and wrecked my stock tires in the process. Never going back there again. I had to pump the rear up about 4 times to 40 psi and then on the 5th it went to about 30 psi and POP on it went. Scared the crap out of me. Thought I blew up the tire. Been working on the front one which is being more of a pain. At least on the rears they got the inside to seat so it only has to seat on the outside but the front ones have to seat on both.

I'm definately going downtown to talk with the guys at the place that did this for me and show them the proper way. Glad my buddy (galljc) has an air compressor I can use.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

have you guys had problems with ITP rims they look like they are seated correctly but I lose air very slowly have to add air every 2 weeks or so, also should I go back to the stock wheels.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Yea they loose air, but so do my stockers.

Dirt on the bead, bead damage due to installation, and rust (steel) can cause leaks.

Quick Reply: Seating bead on tires. *All Done *