Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

drain for the belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drain for the belt?

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a drain for the belt?I got a bunch of waterr in there(oops)and it stayed there until I removed the cover.I would have thought there would be some provision for evacuating the case,is there?Any help would be appriciated.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

No drain plug.
Depending upon how much water you got in it, you maybe able to "blow" it out. You can go to a marine outlet (or Walley-World) and purchase a live well drain plug, drill hole, there is your custom drain plug.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

I was thinking something along those lines,I know the fan will dry it out if theres a little moisture in there,but I had standing water(big splash when I pulled the cover off.)That poor fan had its work cut out for it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

How do you suppose it got in there ???

Was it causing the belt to slip ??

Old 04-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

that was one flaw kawi made- not putting a drain valve on the cvt case. Thats the only thing that yammi did better with the grizz. I just had someone pull me out of the water, i removed the rear hose and put it in neutral and reved it till it blew all the water out. after about 6 times of doing that last year i put a snorkel on the belt drive havent had a problem sence.(although my bike looks a little frankinstien with the hoses sticking out, but its worth it not to get drownded out.

Old 04-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

hey 650mountain yeah there isnt a drain for the belt housing but be glad there isnt one because grizzly's have one but they r constantly using them (at least my friend does always drowning) and how many times have u needed to use it just once because it isnt as easy to get water inside . i rather pull the cover once in a blue moon than pull the drain pug every time out. And by the way how do u like the camo fenders for the praire r they nice, durable and such? was thinking of ordering a set mine r trashed from tight woods riding.

Old 04-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

VForcer;Ya it was slippin real bad,pulled the cover off to see what the problem was and figured it out pretty quick when all that water come out of there!
I agree the Prairie is very good (way better than the Grizz) for keepin the belt dry but it would be nice to be able to drain it when you do get it wet.I'm gonna put a drain on there that I can pull out right on the trail,so If I do drown it way out in the toolies I can get it dry and keep goin instead of pullin of the cover.
I really like the camo,evry bit as tuff as the other colors(it is just green plastic under the camo)but hides scratches and cracks way better.Its the only way I would go!

Old 04-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

i have to agree a buddy of mine has the vinson and he has had to pull the drain on that thing a
few times.the only problem with the vinson is that it doesnt seem to be as tightly sealed as the
p650.in the manual though it says something about putting it in neutral and revving it up also to
put it in low range to get out of what ever you are into.i think that is what it says anyway maybe
just take a quick look to make sure though.

Old 04-08-2003, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer

Ya that helps if the belt is a little damp,but if there is standing water in the clutch housing it dont work worth a hoot!

Old 04-08-2003, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

You can install a drain, if you wish. The factory manual says to loosen all 8 cover bolts a little and pull the cover away fron the case to drain the thing!. Check the gasket for the cover. 2 of the 5 I have been into had twisted, defective gaskets.

Quick Reply: drain for the belt?