Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

twist throttle conversion p650

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle conversion p650

Has anyone converted there 650 to use a twist throttle, if so did you custom make it or oder this universal one
located here http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...equestid=31906

If anyone has iformation I would appreciate there feed back. I am trying to find and alternative to the thumb throttle
for my Dad who has arthritis in his thumb and it fatigues quit easily, even a throttle extension does fatigue his thumb
as well.

Old 04-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Bubba,
Magura's 314 DUO is a twist throttle that works with your stock cable, but what do you do with the rest? (2wd/4wd button) I have talked to Mike Penland about this because he has one on his machine. He somehow cut the piece off and connected it to the other side where there is a hole in the other cluster(start, kill, reverse, etc.) I my self want to have a twist throttle on my machine! I am thinking about splicing into the switch with my own toogle. I look in the wiring diagrams and it is a simple two way switch.

Give Mike a call he can explain! 1 706 746 2812

Old 04-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

wildwill
Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out the twist throttle you mentioned, much better they trying to make a new cable the route I was going to go, As you mentioned it's the 4wd2wd switch that will get in the way, I'll call mike to see how he accomplished this and pass the information to my dealer for I am going to get them to put it together, they have a few other customers that want twist throttle as well. I will post back on how it goes.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Motion pro makes a complete kit with the 4/4 switch included.

Old 11-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

did you have to take carbs apart to put on or was it fairly easy

Old 11-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have pic's posted in my pic's section. It was a fairly easy install. I had to take off the plastic around the steering and around the air box. Had to remove the airbox and unhook the snorkel. It is a good time to do your snorkel mods and air box mods when you have everything apart. Good luck with it, if I can be of any help message me. I guess I talk too much about how much I like mine, but it is the real deal for me, no more stiff thumb.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have art in the thumb too, but elected to stay with the thumb outfit. One thing that helped was to grind the "stumps" off the switch assembly and rotate it so that the thumb is not so far back. Added a little shim in there to keep it from rotating.

Did not want to go with a twist since they are a little hazardous. My partner went with the twist and when ya hit a root or a rock that wants to twist the bars, POW !!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Full throttle! Made for some spectaular crashes in the short time he had it on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] He went back to the thumb thingy in sort order.

Try rotating it for your dad. Worked for me (and my grandson on his 90 as well). Might help and might avoid a crash too....

Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

RaddleBars, you have a great web page. I really enjoyed some of your ideas an articles, thumb's up to you for putting that much work into it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

JPS, Sorry I'm not a guru on the air box. So dumb question, I 'm wondering what that hole is for you cut in your airbox? Is that for the snorkel mod, or are you increasing flow somehow with that?

Old 12-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

JPS, OH and I forgot, awesome pics! and how do you like your 26" Mudlites? Did you ever run 25"?

Quick Reply: twist throttle conversion p650