Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

twist throttle conversion p650

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle conversion p650

Yamihoo, thank you, yes I had the stock 25" tires on before, but after reading the forums here, I decided to try the 26" mudlite's for an all around tire. They seem to work great for me, although my only beef is the ride( I think my next tire will be a radial, maybe the new ITP WetLands series).
The hole in the airbox was too give me a little bit more air flow into the carbs. It seems to breathe a lot better( kind of has that 4 barrel carb sound now.), and still keep the water out to my satifaction. Thanks for checking out my pics, I only wish I could have some great pics like you guys do( give me time, I will slowly get the mods done, with all of your help).

Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

JPS, thinking about looking at your airbox mod, (which I guess others on here have relatively the same) I wonder why not just cut that whole section right out instead of just the hole? I suppose for water protection eh? Maybe cut that thing out all accept for just the bottom 1" or so? What do you think about that? Because really, anything above the bottom of your hole you cut isnt' doing anything. Agree?

Old 12-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, I agree with you yamihoo, you could cut out the whole top section. At the time when I did mine I only wanted to try a 1 1/2" whole, 1 that I could cover if I had a problem with water. I fabed a patch that I could cover the hole with if I went in the water like you guys do, so I could have the best of both worlds. But I agree both ways should work great.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I think I'll try it, and use your idea also and design a back up plate or something I can slide back in there in case I get too much water. But as you can see me riding in the river with the stock snorkel and I didn't have any trouble. I remember checking my airbox after that ride and I didn't have any sign of water in there, I think I was lucky. I was planning on doing the napa hose snorkel anyway. I'm just concerned about my Dial A Jets getting thrown off. Right now I'm running rich so I hope that will help and not backfire and make it worse since the Dial Jets rely on the air box pressure the way it is now. I dont' imagine the pressure will change, just the flow dynamics. Hopefully I'll get to it in the next couple weeks and I'll let ya know. Thanks man!

Old 12-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Great yamihoo, let me know how you come out with it. Just remember measure twice, cut once(its kind of hard to put it back if you change your mind, thats why I went small first). I used a 1 1/2" hole saw to cut mine out with, it made a smooth cut. Then took a rat tail file and cleaned the edges to make them smooth, a bit if light grit sand paper works great too. Make sure you throw a rage over the carbs(i took my air box out and done the napa snorkel mod at the same time)so not to get any plastic shavings in the carb throat.
Good luck, I hope it works well for you.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:09 PM
DOA
Range Rover

Nice site rattlebars,

I have a twist and love it, mind you, at first it was a little tricky but now I would have nothing else. For one, my thumb locked out and me from going on long runs and was causing me alot of pain. I had no choice, twist or not drive. Put the twist on and my thumb healed in about 4 months.

Once you get used to it, which only takes a couple days they are safe or safer than a thumb, remember the first time when you were a kid with a twist (scarry right) . After you get used to it, it has more control than the thumb throttle. You can just blurb, blurb and jump from rock to rock. You have no control with a thumb throttle to do that, no control on stopping how much throttle you give, a big lurch and bang is what you get, not with a twist, total control.

I love my twist and it is of the faster dirt bike type, the motion pro is of a slower twist so you even have more control with it. Just test it in the woops and going under trees before hitting the technical stuff.

Plus they are just plain funner, much much funner.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the feedback. Will look into it - I do have a used one to try [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

Hi jpsdiving, I am interested in having the twist throttle installed on my 360 kawi. I am in my 80tys and have trouble using my thumb for any lenght of time. I will not be able to install it myself and if I can buy it it would be great. Can you give me an address I can order it from, I would appreciate it. Thank you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

jpsdiving where do you do most of riding I live in jackson mi and would like to see twist be fore doing it to two of my prairies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Paul, I will I-M you my address and ph #. You are welcome to come up to my farm in St. Johns and take a look at my quads.