Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

grizzly vs. prairie

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly vs. prairie

I wasnt too impressed with the soft front end on my p650,BUT I put 27's on it and that went away and I havent had to think about springs,so that was good enough for me.I also havent had that problem of the rear wheel coming up and pushing thru corners,all you have to do is shift some weight an poof!! you slip and slide then power thru .

Old 04-20-2003, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: prairievenom
3tv where do you live . And how can i make my prairie 4 inches wider like you did your grizz.

roll it like most other grizzly's. then it should have a lower center of gravity from being smashed down and it should be alittle wider too.

Old 04-20-2003, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

how do you like that titanium.does it show scratches as well as the other colors?

Old 04-20-2003, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

3tv i would love to hook up but heres the problem i wont have my licens till 6 months. im only 15 1/2. If i were to put the c searies in my prairie would i be 4 inches wider. If so i would have one bad @$$ quad.
Remember this post cause when i get my liciences ill be lokin for ya .
PS it would be a dream come true to ride a v force, i promis ill have my right thumb on probation

Old 04-20-2003, 02:17 AM
Trailblazer

The MUDLITES are better than expected.they are allot more aggressive than what they look like in pictures or on the web.they have a little more of a rumble at say 2- mph but once your moving their allot smoother than the stock shoes.I cant tell you how awesome they are in snow and water(creeks and puddles).I love them and would buy anything else.oh yeah their really light to.I put them on the stock wheels and still pull wheelies in high.I havent had too much mud time yet but so far so good.

Just a heads up! next time you buy a wheeler GET THE CAMO! it looks new after tons of abuse.
And Ive only lost it in the woods twice.

OH YEAH !THE MUDLITES ARE SOME OF THE CHEAPEST TIRES OUT !YOU CANT BEAT THE BANG FOR THE BUCK!

Old 04-20-2003, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

so how about hooking up to ride when i get my licences

Old 04-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

3tv

You traded a prairie for a griz (probably paid more) then turned around and had to buy tires and rims to give the griz stability...you could have done that on the prairie and saved some cash...90% of those that complained about the softness of the front says it goes away once stock tires are removed. V-Force IS the prairie with a few of the utility aspects gone and a different front suspension...the V-Force suspension wouldnt work on the prairie as it would have difficulty holding up in the rocky rough stuff...you ought to know this owning one and with the griz's IS...also, you cant really say the griz and p650 dont compare with the v-force as the quads excell in different areas...get them in the extreme rough stuff and see if the v-force handles as well as either of them

Again...other then your stellar riding ability outline ANYTHING that supports your belief that the grizzly is a far better handler then the prairie. Something down this line...

1) Kawi won the mechanical engineering award from Popular Mechanics (very reputable magazine) for its design of the P650 and how it improved overall performance and handling. Most innovative design in the ATV industry, ground breaker, i believe they said.

2) P650 has won ATV of the year and big bore ute atv of the year in practically every trade magazine based off its handling and performance...has the griz received this recognition by even one...heck, i will even take a reference to one that even says it handles better than the prairie...only positives stated that I am aware of is the reference to a plushy ride due to the IS.

3) GNCC big bore ute catagory is dominated by the p650...one race had 5 out of the 25 entries p650s...in that race the top 5 places were the 5 P650s...Penland and kirby all say the prairie smokes the griz or any other big bore utility in stock or modified class. Now these guys are very experienced and have proven they know what they talk about...pretty good reference dont ya think. Prairie has also won in pulls and other competitions but they have very little to do with handling and more so the power of the v-twin so i wont rattle on about them.

brakes, no vibration, design, power, handling, durability, no-limiter, list goes on...prairie IS THE TICKET in big bore utilities...regardless of what YOU say

On a different note...my buddy and I just bought a couple of sports quads...he got a V-Force and I a KFX 400. I was looking at the V-Force but wanted a lighter bike to give me a totally different riding experience then the prairie. V-Force is a WICKED quad...he has had it out and it handles nice, accelerates rapidly, and flys of jumps for being so heavy...he actually continually got more air off one of the jumps then I did on my KFX 400. I like the handling of the KFX 400 a tad bit more as it seems to handle just as well (specially in lower speeds) but it is lighter to throw around too...probably just my opinion as my buddy believes the V-Force handles better. But you get that V-Force rolling and in the open and the thing is a monster. The 400 competes well with it in the sand but that is the only place i could see that...havent had them on a track. He hasnt climbed with it yet as he is upholding the breakin procedures...but with its power, weight and being an automatic it has to be a friggin goat. V-Force is a very impressive quad no doubt...he did get smoked by a stock raptor...but they had jetted his quad for the alitude yet either. Kawisuki 400 is pretty impressive to...handles great...good low to mid range pull...jumps extremely well...MAN ITS A GOOD TIME TO BE AN ATV ENTHUSIAST

Where at in Utah are you...

Old 04-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

3tv,
i have to commend you on your loyalty to the griz. it is definitely a matter of personal preference as to which quad we all get. being a prairie owner and having ridden a griz, i am loyal to the prairie. that is not to say that the griz is not an awesome quad. they both have their goods and bads. with that being said, enjoy your stable of quads and remember, " he who dies with the most toys, WINS!!!

Old 04-20-2003, 12:33 PM
Range Rover

hahahha...well supported argument you have...you like chocolate and i like vanilla...now i see why you dont care what anyone else says...never said mcphersons were ground breaking tech...just how they V-Twin sets in the P650 allowing for a redesign and there for establishing a far better handling machine...that v-force handles so well because of the same concept and design...if it wasnt designed like the P650 it would handle like a big heavy piece of fast crap regardless of what suspension was upfront...and despite your distaste for the P650 you will find alot of similiariaties between it and that v-force...rear, brakes, engine, general design and the list goes on...different clutching but same manual tran concept

This post was started by someone asking about the comparisons between the Griz and P650...Mags and industry info is available for people to do research and make a well informed decision...now when u say so what...do you mean someone researching the two quads should just ignore it and go off your feel of the machines...dont know if that is all that great of advice... not everyone can buy a machine and determine they dont like it and go get another...so they should research there tails off before spending 7k...I agree that people should ride and see what they like...the plushy ride, the neck snapping power, ergonomics of the machine (ran into a couple of people that hate their predetor because of the seat and how they sit on it)...but the test ride(S) (once up the street dont do much) should be the icing after they built the cake of information (chocolate or vanilla icing or cake for that matter...good analogy aye).

My intent isnt to argue...but you were the one that stated you didnt care what i (or Nyroc for that matter) said about the machines...you were emphatic the griz was a better handler. All i asked was for you to prove it with a little more info then your say so or what you like...then extended that courtesy by outlining to you some support (along with our riding experiences) for my argument and opinion. Filtering through your post I dont see anything substantial...argumentative yes...substantial or fact based no. You have your ride and are happy with it...thats good for YOU...but before you supply someone advice and blow off others opinions dont you think you should have a well-founded arguement to support your opinion and downplay theres??? You have rode both and prefer the Griz...I have rode both along with a pack of others and we all prefer the p650...if any of the information discussed deserves the "so what" it should be that.

As far as coming down south...I am taking a trip to the dunes down south on the KFX 400 later this month and then to the Great Western Trail in may on the P650. Alot of trails up north so i do alot of riding in Logan and and this region....where do you ride...heard pink corral or something like that is spectacular...anyway, we both enjoy riding so neither one of us can be that bad of a person...would like to hear of some good riding spots down south though...I have been overseas for a long time and just come back to Utah...still getting familiar with all the trials....enjoy those quads...you will have a blast on that V-Force

Old 04-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Anybody who thinks that a 650 COW E SUCKY is better then the grizzly there wrong i can go places on my grizzly where my friend can't go on his p650...and far as power he can get me starting off but on top end my 660 is faster

02 Grizzly
28'Mudzillas

Quick Reply: grizzly vs. prairie