Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

sp600 pulls p650

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 09:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sp600 pulls p650

If I am not mistaken the V-Twin in the prairie was one of the first powerplants built ground up for a quad...now they took the idea and basic v-twin concept from their streeters...but either popular mechanics or one of those other articles when the quad first come out highlighted the fact that Kawi engineered this V-Twin specifically to excel in a quad. Then had to greatly detune it when they figured out what they had...kinda reminds you of Frankenstein doesnt it.

Your right...the Bomb 650 is a pretty decent machine in its own right. Their 650 in no slouch in the power department and with their straight axle and low center of gravity they are pretty good off-camber and climbing machines as well. However i believe them to be geared wrong...their holeshot isnt the greatest but they fly on high-end...i dont mind a utility quad with highend but you have to take care of the low-end on a ute...I prefer most of the power down low and Bomb seems to have gotten that aspect backwards ... they are also extremely HEAVY.

With the exception of 3TV i have never heard of anyone that had a prairie and wanted to turn it in for a Grizzily...seems he has found some workarounds and feels far more comfortable on the Griz. I have ran into several people that have or if they could (monitary restrictions) traded in the Griz or Pol 650 for the prairie once they have owned the other and rode the prairie. I had a guy on a Pol 700 practically want to trade me on the spot one day out riding ... going through some steep hill climbs, trails and ONE mud spot...not enough mud here. I told him he would get a better trade in from the dealer on the new one. Havent seen him or rode with him since. Grizzley is a good quad...Prairie is King of the Big Bores Utes however...you have a few diehards but it is generally undisputed...not everyone wants to be king and I can understand that...the ground clearance argument is old and already been picked apart in well argued threads...what else do you have yg660...you will have to do far better then what you have done so far if you thing you will make any of these owners to second quess their purchasing decision ... ITS GOOD TO BE KING

Old 04-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default sp600 pulls p650

Pulling is what we do, I'm not going to run down any other quads, but we used to pull with polaris', we now use p650's.

I own a drag sled, and hold ATV pulls, we pull against Polaris 700's & 600's, 727grizz's, Bom's and Honda's. A lot of these are backed by speed shops and dealership's, so they're not the everyday run of the mill stock bikes.

let me say it again, we pull with P650! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default sp600 pulls p650

I'm glad the praire works for you but i'm not much for COW A SUCKYS...and as far as a stock quad the sp600 or the sp700 will outpull the praire anyday...and as far as power the p650 is awesome now but when the new suzuki twin comes out prairies is gonna SUCK ***.....along with the rest of the big bores......polaris has won alot more big bore shootouts then the praire..

Old 04-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default sp600 pulls p650

Originally posted by: yg660

.....polaris has won alot more big bore shootouts then the praire..

Where have you been!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default sp600 pulls p650

Scrode, I agree with what you are saying except for the lift kit. I suppose it all has to do with what type of riding you want to do. But I love my prairie not being top heavy. Having a low center of gravity and being better off camber is one of the major advantages of a Prairie (besides the power). I was in a big group ride Saturday with all types, one more P650, a Grizzly 660, a Rincon, and tons of Foremans. The funniest part was when we were lined up on a trail and going under a tree that fell across the trail. I was able to lay my head down on the air cleaner cover and go under it with no problem. The Rincon behind me was funny to watch. The guy laid on his back on the seat with his head on the back end and hit the throttle with his foot, stupid, I know. He made it under the tree and not too smoothly. If he was on a Prairie and gave it gas with his foot, he would have fell off the back end. So sometimes power isn't a good thing.

During that ride, I really had a chance to critique other quads. It was my first chance to really look at a Rincon in action. I couldn't believe how big those quads seem, especially with the nose sticking out so far. It looked sharp, but saw him really try to take off once and noticed the lack of power that everyone talks about. The Grizzly wasn't that impressive and was outdone by those Foreman 450's. I did stab my throttle ever chance I got and was sending rooster tails whenever I could. I would lag a little behind just so I could accelerate hard. I had several people say that they couldn't believe the torque of the thing. I've never looked at what kind of rooster tails I'm making, but it must be impressive for people to keep mentioning it. And I STILL haven't even added the new CDI yet.

Old 04-27-2003, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default sp600 pulls p650

yg 660,

Polaris is JUNK, I owned one and know this from first hand experience, they are put together with nylon bushings and have twenty some grease fittings, cmon, i dont even have to grease my 650, they shake rattle and roll like a stolen huffy bicycle. I am not even goin to waste time here, I know I can type a ton of facts about why the prairie is champ, but ill save some time, Its obvious that prairie owners are intellegent, they did their homework, they didnt go with the crowd and buy a polaris, they didnt go with the looks and select a grizz, they didnt even go with the odds and chip in on a honda, no, no, no, they intellegently did some research, found out the plus and minus of each quad, and came to the same conclusion, 650 PRAIRIE!!, I feel for everyone who made the wrong decision, when im yanking them out of a mudhole, burning them down the trail, or throwing some roooost in their grill, but you know what, after all that they still defend their quad, I guess its some kind of machismo thing.

godda love it

Old 04-27-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default sp600 pulls p650

Yeah Yeah, you're not accomplishing anything by telling us what everyone else did.

Old 04-28-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default sp600 pulls p650

Yg660,
Where do you reside, maybe we can hook up literally!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2003, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer
Default sp600 pulls p650

yg660, if those polaris's are such good pullers why didnt they win the pulling event. At every pull event in the big bores around here the 650 vtwins win all the time. The 700 polaris and 650 quest are usually close for second. But ur good old yamasquaw is dead last. The littler honda's beat them all the time. I am pretty sure the 2004 kawasaki 800 VTWIN will kill all of these big bores. I got this info the other day from a very reliable source. .And you do know that kawi and suzuki are together now so this means the 800 suzuki will probally be a prarie 800 painted yellow with a suzuki sticker on it. And by the way i have nothen against polaris's. I owned 2 of them and they are sure alot better then ur 660. The 500 sportsman will whale on the 660 in pulls.I am sure the 660's will do fine pulling they little red wagon full of sand. They might even be able to pull that in high,but i wouldn't push it.Yamaha should come out with a new big bore in about 3 or 4 years to so you can only be lookin at kawasaki tail light till then. Yamaha wont put a 2 cylinder enigine in one of there quads for quite a while. I heard that yamaha is comming out with a 660 woverline in the future. Sounds like they will put that raptor engine in everyone of there models. And why are you in the kawasaki forum any way if your gunan bash them? You are just a jelous little boy that wishes he bought a quad with a good engine. LAter everybody. And remember Vtwin all the way.

Old 04-28-2003, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default sp600 pulls p650

O ya, where do you see all these polaris's winning all these shoot outs. I read 1 where it won. In just about everyone the vtwin 650 is 1st and the 700 twin is second. And then for third it changes from 660 to 650 quest. But hey if thats what you wanna think thats ok. All of the magizines say the 660 is short of low range power.Remember to put that grizzly of yours in low range before you hit the mud. Later everybody.

Quick Reply: sp600 pulls p650