Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATR VS Bighorns

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I too would like some input on the Bighorns. I ride mainly ROCKY trails in SW Colorado and want a tire that is tough enough to stand up to sharp and jagged rocks. Can anybody tell me where I can get some and possibly a price. Also, on the tire mfg.s website they say that they are coming out with Radial Bighorn sometime in early summer. Any info on Bighorns would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Trailblazer
Default ATR VS Bighorns

While we are talking about tires. Does anyone know where to get center caps for C series rims?

Old 04-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

"Mr. Undecided"-- I would be glad to test the BigHorn tires for you. Please send 4 in 26" to: XXX rd, xxx, OH 43235. LOL
Seriously, in my area, the Bighorn tires are not widely distributed. I can only draw from personal experience, which says: the ATR's kick-a$$ for my style of riding, and terrain. I spend the bulk of my time in the forest trails of the Appalachian Mtns., in S.E.Ohio, or S.W. WVa(Hat/McCoy). These tires are MADE for this terrain. They are a versatile tire, great for fast trail riding. They perform WAY better in the mud, than I expected! I'll be buying many more sets of these. They are very light also. Frts 15lb./Rrs 20lb.(no rim) Pretty d@mned light for a 6 ply tire, huh? Nyroc, just get the ATRs, and go enjoy..........................................

Old 04-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Dan 650--- Try American Racing. I THINK someone said that they have a center cap that works.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:16 AM
rty
Trailblazer
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I can't comment on how the ATR's compare to the Bighorn's, but I can talk about the performance of the ATR's in the 23 mile cross-country race I was in last Sunday, the 27th. As expected, they were much better than stock. The course was dry and they had very good traction. With the P650 power, I could easily generate wheelspin and powerslide around corners. They seemed to ride almost as well as the stockers, but handled and cornered sooooo much better. I bought them specifically for the trail riding and racing that I do. I hardly ever see any significant mud. So far, I am happy with the performance.

For those who are interested, there is a new cross-country ATV race series in Texas that just started up this year. There will be 10 total races (1 per month) and 2 have already occurred. You can see the details of the series at atvccs.com.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

nyroc
I tried the ATR's on my buddies 650. Set up the same as mine was. I would say you cant go wrong with either. but if price is an issue all tracs hands down.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Range Rover
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I trust you folks so I ordered a set yesterday from tiresunlimited. So far I haven't heard back. Hope their not on national backorder.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Wolley and all, you too," Mr. Undecided"--- P.M. me, and I will provide a source for the ATRs. I do not know WHAT my source has in stock, only that they have a great price on the ATRs.

Old 05-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Range Rover
Default ATR VS Bighorns

Quick review after running them for twenty miles yesterday. Much, much better than the stockers for most of the riding I do. Cornering is way better, no more dive/plow or as the NASCAR folks like to say, "push".
They do ride rougher than the dooflops. To be expected from a tire with a much stiffer sidewall.
No wobble so I must have gotten straight ones.
They actually don't have as good of traction as the stockers in deep loose sand.
High speed handling is kind of scary above 55mph. They tend to wander and follow even the smallest ruts. Could this be related to the alignment? Or maybe air pressure, 4.5psi front and 5.5 rear.
Weight;
stockers weighed 17lbs and 22lbs mounted
ATRs
22 and 26lbs mounted
Because they're radials you can definitly tell the rolling resistance is less. Better be on your toes when you approach a corner. Especially high speed corners! Just backing off the go lever won't be enough.

Old 05-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATR VS Bighorns

I DID notice that mine were a little "twitchy" at 50MPH, or above. That is not a concern for me, as I spend most of my time in the woods, where you don't generally get up over 30mph.
This is the only BAD thing that I have noticed in MY envelope of operation. AWESOME tire!

Quick Reply: ATR VS Bighorns