Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

my kfx 400 what to do

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my kfx 400 what to do

just picked up a kfx 400 and love it sompared to my new warrior and might be getting rid of the warrior for another kfx 400. but what is the best accessories to put on this ride? thanks and any thing eles i should know about this Atv?? also what did you pay for your kfx 400 thanks

Old 04-29-2003, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

I think a pipe, air filter, and air box mods should be first. And my friend races a z-400 and when i was at one of his races we went to look at this kfx 400 that is ridin by a pro and we saw how he welded suports in the front of his frame. We asked him why he did this. He said that a week or two after racing it his front end broke off. so he showed us were and we went over to my friends quad and spoted 2 crackes in his frame. He does ride it hard hes only 15 and weighs only 100 pounds. so we asked the other racers that had kfx or z 400 and a couple of them said ya there frame cracked to and they heard that it is a coman problem. the dealer gave him a new frame but it took four weeks to do so. so i guess just keep an eye on the fram. other than that it is an awsome quad and handels reeal well in the air have fun later.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Range Rover

I have just had my KFX for a short time and have not experienced the frame problem...heard from some that have and havent.

I worked with my dealer and got the quad for $5200, a Yosh full comp set (pipe and can) for $350, and a Pro Design Flow Kit for $50 plus tax and licensing...no setup or jetting fees...dealer was nice enough to jet it after breakin and once I put the pipe and flow kit on.

Heard the HMF, Trinity and CT are good pipes but am totally impressed with the Yoshi set I put on. Since putting on these mods, removing the lid and snorkel, the KFX 400 pulls alot harder throughout the entire powerband. The biggest improve is mid-range and low. But even in the high-end there is very noticable difference. She wheelies on demand in the first three gears...friend had his STOCK KFX 700 (I am not saying the 400 can out do the 700) ... we bought the quads together...during break-in the 700 walked away from the 400 in tight riding or in the open. Went out this weekend and in the tight stuff the 400 was all over the 700 and even in the open the 400 was staying with it. Now we are at a relatively high altitude here in Utah and jetting is a bit more difficult due to the fact you cant take the recommended sea level jetting advice...so the 700 might not be dead on in the jetting as it doesnt seem to pull getting to top speed like it does out of the whole...kinda like my prairie 650...could be the detuning as well...took the dealer three times on my KFX 400 to get it jetted. I have a P650 and really debated between the KFX 700 and the 400 for a second sand and track quad. Fiqured with the P650 this time I would go with something lighter i could throw around a little easier and definitely have two different riding experiences in my quads. After we purchased the quads and riding the 700 a few times (what a quad) i thought i might have made a mistake...but after taking that 400 out the last couple of times its an excellent quad in its own right...and after the mods it has very good whollop (KFX 700 can always be made to go faster), still maintained excellent handling, and the thing is very manueverable and fun to ride...jumps well, wheelies like a motorcycle, and just plain FUN to ride. I really like the KFX 400...I will keep the P650 as it is a blast to ride as well and I want the 4wd capability...but i dont think at this time I could have picked a better back up quad...you will love your KFX 400 and even enjoy it more mod'd. You may want to go out and research swing arm skid plates though...the stock plastic is hardly any protection and none after any period of semi-rocky riding...two trips and mine had large junks torn out of it. I got an AC racing skid but i believe there are better ones out there...had to redrill the wholes on it...got there nerf bars with it and the things didnt fit properly and did not like the design or setup. You will enjoy the quad...give it the oppurtunity to breath and exhale and you will enjoy it that much more...HAVE FUN