Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Need your help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help

I am a long atv'er w/an itch to get a jetski. I am eyeballing a 1989 JS550 and a 87 550.The 87 has a 91 550SX motor.

What advice can you all give me about these 2 PWC's.

Performance?
What quirks to expect?
What are their weaknesses(sp)?
How to properly inspect the PWC?

Oh yeah,I did a yahoo search for PWC forums, and only got the ez board forum for PWC,any other you know of?

Old 05-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need your help

I think fire roading or mud bogging would be out of the question [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need your help

biggin,

First a few simple questions. How heavy are you? Is either machine stock and if not what mods. The 550's are not power monsters and may be a little weak if your a heavy guy. If your lighter then they have very responsive handling and can be a blast to ride.

A few things to check before you buy. 1st do a compression check, if I remember right your looking in the range of 120-180 lbs. and both cylinders should be within 5% of each other. Check the hull for any visual damage and expecially check the point that the handlepole connects to the main hull. Your looking for stress cracks at the pivot point which would weaken it and they are not cheap to replace. Another important point to check is the impeller and pump housing. Roll the ski up on it's side and look into the intake grate. Look for notches in the leading edges of the impeller but more importantly look for damage to the veins of the pump housing. Damage like this would indicate rocks being ingested into the pump and unless repaired or replaced can cause serious cavitation which robs great amounts of performance.

These are just a few points I can think of. If you have any more questions or need more details ask away and I'll do my best to help.

Steve

Old 05-04-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need your help

I'm 6'5" 290lbs, I just want zip around the lake,not be rocket man. But I do not want to ride a total slug either. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need your help

Are they stock? Maybe consider trying one before you buy. Are there any 750's around? The hardest part is getting up on your feet and an underpowered machine makes this even more difficult.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need your help

Here is the scoop on one: 1987 KAWASAKI JET SKI WASAKI JET, 550 1991 550 SX fresh reed mtr/180 PSI comp/coffmans halfpipe/goki/starter/hawker odyssey batt,primer/dual coolant lines, Runs Great, $600

I did some Homework and the #'s for a stock 550 are 41hp. I 've been on a 40 hp john boat and the scoot, so I'd think that 1/3 the weight would mean enough powerto zip around.

There are quite a fewstandups for sale around here(440,a few 550's,and one 750), How do you steer and get up on them,I do not want to be ignorant in when it is time to give up my $$$$$$

Old 05-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need your help

biggin,

Alot of power is lost throught the pump, its not as efficient as an outboard. Check for pump damage as I mentioned above as this could mean a serious drop in performance. The 550 sounds like a decent deal and would probably serve you well as a starter ski. My choice would be the 750 but that also depends on price and condition. I'd stay away from the 440s as you'll find them underpowered for your size.

Riding a standup takes some practice so don't be discouraged if it takes a while to get used to. Turning the bars changes the jet nozzle direction and aids in steering. Standups also require more body input to control turns. Leaning into the turn and a slight crank on the bars turns the ski in the direction you want to go. Starting and getting up on your feet can be interesting if you've never done this before. Start by resting your belly on the foot pad and while powering up pull with your arms to get one knee into the tray then the other knee. From a kneeling position stand up on one foot then the other. A couple of pointers, once your up on your knees trying riding around a little to get used to turning and feel how the ski responds. Also, make sure you don't start in shallow water, try to have a least 2' of water depth before starting the boat. They will suck up rocks from the bottom like you can't imagine and that can ruin a day in a hurry, been there - done that.

I hope this helps some, it's hard to explain without showing someone in person. If we lived a little closer maybe I could help more. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ask if you want to know more.

Steve