Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 had a problem today, please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 had a problem today, please advise.

My 650 had a similar problem, but I noticed it when my foot became covered with hot (I mean I've been riding for 30 minutes straight hot) oil, I thought I blew the engine and freaked out, when I finally got settled down enough to find out the problem, I noticed that that tube to the bottom of the air box had slipped off and instead of blowing oil into the airbox, it was blowing it all over my right foot (I was riding with a pair of flip flops on).

After reattaching the tube and zip tying it on, I checked my oil level and noticed that it read full ( I had just changed my oil 2 days prior). Couldn't figure out the problem. My brother asked if he could ride it and see if it would do it again and it did but this time all inside the air box about a 1/2 of inch thick. We cleaned it up and drained a little oil out and it didn't do it any more,

I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago, and I guess I overfilled yet again, because I started sucking air like you said yours did, and when I opened the air box, it had oil all in it. Just took 2 times to learn my lesson.

Hope this is your problem and all this helps!!

Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

look, go check your oil agian mine had this same exact problem, screw your dipstick in all the way(heheheh), and then look at it, the oil in the airbox is getting sucked into the carbs and its causing the smoke, change your oil to the exact amount and youll be fine, and check your spark plugssssss later if you need anymore help just holler

Old 05-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Thanks for all your input. Very useful info from everyone. I also went and a talked to my local kawi dealer mechanic too. My dealer is one of the top 650 sellers in the country so they know the machine pretty well. In fact kawa had some japense engineers in their shop a couple of months ago to get some real world advice on common services issues. This was one of them. (I thought it was cool that kawaski did that kind of follow up)

Anyway heres what we figure happened. I have univents in the plastic in front of my snorkle, because of this and the dusty and long 70 miles + ride I went on Sunday, my air filter got so dirty that at high rpm's the engine could not suck enough air through the filter , therefore causing it to suck more oil up the breather tube and into the carbs and also briefly cut out.

I ordered a new green ovel piece $3.00 for under the bars too. The univents aren't worth the trouble. I also I am going to get another aftermarket filer and carry it in my rack bag for long all day rides.

The mechanic also gave me another suggestion "off the record" He said if he was going to get a new 650, the first thing he would do is get rid of the breather tube into the airbox. He said that was only because of a recent E.P.A rule, and that you would not believe the people that have brought bikes into his shop thinking they were half blew up or having a major problem because of this. He said as long as the oil level is the middle part of correct, letting it drain out the bottom of the bike should not be a problem.

I am not suggesting anyone due such an evil, illegal, thing, just telling you what I was told "off the record"

Old 05-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer

i dont like the idea of just letting it just drain out the side. that goes directly into the crank case if you do that you need to put some sort of filter on it so nothing can get in

Old 05-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Yah, that could be big, big trouble in deep water.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

where in ky are you i am in springfield, about 1 hour from lousiville

Old 05-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

letcher county. The far southeast part of the state just south of pike county. What county are you in springboy? Got any good ridding up there?

I am not much of a mechanic but I was thinking did not all dirtbikes and ATV's always have a overflow tube like this. Until a certain year or EPA ruling didn't they always drain out the bottom of the bike?

I have changed my tube yet, the deep water issue is a point I am going to ask the mechanic about the next time I am in the shop.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

im in washington county, not really that good of ridin but we still have fun, we mostly ride hills mud and trails but im out for now because of the rubber cv boot is riped and i need to put the black spring in and i have no clue how to but anyways ill b talkin to ya nad if you have msn or hotmail feel free to add me lance_smith01@hotmail.com

Old 05-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Springboy, my email is catfan0027@yahoo.com feel free to put me on your list too. That black spring was too tough for me, however, I am not very mechanical. The local shop put mine for for .5 hr labor which was $22.50. If your a pretty busy guy, you might check with the shop. The spring is a great mod for the money.

later

Old 05-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

well imbetween work, school and play i dont really have much time to do it, its goin to the dealer tomorrow lees in harrodsburg what dealer do you do your buisness with?

Quick Reply: P650 had a problem today, please advise.