Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stock raptor faster on top

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock raptor faster on top

I raced a new stock raptor yesterday through about 1/8 mile. I led all the way but he was definitely pulling right beside me at the end with some momentum building. The bottom line is through typical drag race V-Force will win. Raptor is faster on top end if you have enough room to run. I have read this on other posts as well.

Old 05-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

My brother's piped Banshee was pulling me by 3 quadlengths when he hit sixth until I installed a Polaris Brown primary spring. We raced this weekend for approx 1/4 mile and my front tires were almost equal with his rear tires. Staying that close to a piped 6-speed with a mostly stock quad was pretty good in my opinion. I believe the primary spring and the extra RPM's make a big difference.

Old 05-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

kevin m what type of polaris quad is that brown spring for. Is it a stock spring or an aftermarket spring.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Its an aftermarket, adds about 300-500 RPM's of stall and feels like it pulls much better on top. Polaris primaries will fit the Kawi's and offer a much bigger selection.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

if its aftermarket who did you get it from and what is the price. Thanx[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2003, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Tell us more Kevin M[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Here's a good place to get springs:
HPD Racing

Unlike the Polaris clutches that engage gradually, the Kawi clutch engages suddenly and won't allow for too radical of a spring. The Polaris brown or orange should work well for most people. You can leave the shim in or out to increase or decrease the stall speed a little also.

V-Force & Scrambler Pics

Old 05-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand how a different clutch spring or weight could result in more top-end torque, horsepower, or speed?

can someone please explain this.....

I totally understand how it can result in more launching torque because it stalls the engagement of the clutch until the motor is in a more powerful part of the powerband....

but increasing top speed??? I just don't see it

Old 05-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

The spring does NOT increase top speed, it enables you to reach your top speed quicker. I'm guessing the stock top speed on the 700 is as good or better than anything out there, it just doesn't get there as quickly as it could.

Pretension (length of the spring) and size of the weights determine the stall speed. Putting in a heavier spring or lighter weights will increase your stall speed.

A spring with a higher rate (using the stock weights) will take more engine RPMs for the weights to overcome the spring tension and will give you more RPM's through the entire power band.

In plain English, its hits harder and pulls harder all the way to the top.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin.. I'm just curious but how does your modded Scrambler compare to the V Force in power.

Quick Reply: Stock raptor faster on top