Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Swamped my Praire 650.. Badly!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swamped my Praire 650.. Badly!!

While helping with a local rescue agency during a flood I swamped my 650 in the worst of ways. We got caught in an ice jam break and started to float.. long story short, it was submerged for about 12 hours in a glacial fed river flood. When we recovered it I tipped it on end to drain water from the exhaust and brought it home. My one and only Kawasaki shop cant get to it for two months so I tore into it. So far, I have removed all of the silt from it and "de-flooded" it with the help of a hoover. I'm on my third oil change and Im still getting water (white cream) from the crank case... Now the question. Will this burn off with time? I drain and change the filter, fill it up with 10W-30 and run it until it warms up and the fan comes on... then I drain it and change the filter.. three times so far!! Still creamy.. What should I do?

Sorry this is so long...

Thanks in advance for all the help you are about to give..

Spitdriver

Old 05-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

Im really not sure, but i would just keep changing the oil until you get it all out, because you are better off to change the oil until you get it out instead of buying a new engine. I would also check the axels for watery oil too.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Keep doing what your doing and get all the water out of it, it may cost you $100 in oil and filters but its well worth it, better than paying for a rebuild. Also drain your front and rear diffs, also look for water in your rear brake, along with silt. Take off the plastic and inspect it and look for build up of silt in the electrical connections. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

spend time on it now every minute you spend now is going to save you ten later on. Pull carbs etc... flush etc... DONT WAIT FOR THE FAN, because that means the engine is hot any water doesn't have the same cooling values of oil.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

The paste couple of times my son turned his Fourtrax into a submarine, we give the engine a "diesel" flush. No problems to date.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

use diesel fuel and flush the engine, even crank it over with diesel in it BUT DO NOT ALLOW IT TO START. Remove the plugs to prevent it from starting. hope this helps

Old 05-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Diesel flush? You mean drain the oil and fill it up with diesel instead of oil? Then pull the plugs. I can see this as removing all the water really well but it seems a tad strange, first time i heard of this.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

UpDate!!! After two more filter and fluid changes I drained pure OIL.. Whoo Hooo! I did use a kerosene based flush that was recommended to me by the Dealer mechanic, it worked but not as fast as I had hoped. I had already removed the carbs, belt cover, ducting, plugs and plastic all around. I flushed both diffs and cleaned them up also. Now all I have left to do is put it all back together again... oh yea, still have to drain the headlights!!

Thanks again. This was my first post and I must say, I'm impressed!

Spitdriver

Old 05-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

That is what these forums are about. We are on here to ask questions, and help eachother out. Good luck getting it back together![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

Hey SPitdriver- Im from Fairbanks also and you most be talking about the Salcha flooding. I had a modded 650 untill I sold it to buy my new 700 Vforce. I used to work for the local Kawasaki ATV shop for 5 years. I know a few things about fixing swamped atvs. If you want some help Email me at coolinthewoods@gci.net and I'll see what I can do. Jesse

Quick Reply: Swamped my Praire 650.. Badly!!