Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

kazuma meerkat starting problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009 | 01:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy kazuma meerkat starting problem!!!

can anyone help me please??? i have a kazumer meerkat that wont start propley anymore, it use to work fine untill i charged the battery up put it back on and went to start it and it turned over once then went DEAD NOTHING, now my light dont work and my start button dosent work! if i put a piece of metal between the solenoied and touch the two terminals togeather it sparks and turns over and starts, it dosent matter if the key is turned to the on or off position doing it this way, DO I NEED A NEW SOLENOID OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE, please can someone help me, THANKS??????????????????????

Old 12-04-2009 | 10:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!

Originally Posted by vincie197979
...now my light dont work and my start button dosent work! ...
Which light(s) don't work? Brake light? Headlight? If you headlights don't work then check your main fuse. If your headlights work then make sure your brake lights work when you apply the brakes and have the ignition on. This is part of a safety interlock that will keep the quad from starting unless the brake is applied.

...if i put a piece of metal between the solenoied and touch the two terminals togeather it sparks and turns over and starts, it dosent matter if the key is turned to the on or off position doing it this way...
That's not right. You should have to have the ignition switch on for it to run. With the ignition switch off it will crank the starter when you apply your metal short, but the engine will not start. Before all this happened, were you able to shut off the quad by turning off the ignition switch, or did you always have to use the handlebar kill switch? Did you used to have a remote start/stop module that has been removed?

DO I NEED A NEW SOLENOID OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE...
When you press the start button (ignition on, brakes applied, and brake light lit), does the solenoid go "click"? If so your solenoid is bad. If your solenoid doesn't go click then do the following:

1) Turn on the ignition, apply the brakes and verify that the brake light is lit. If the brake light is not lit, stop and report back. We need to change direction.

2) Find the two small wires coming out of the solenoid. Measure the voltage on each of these to ground. Report these measurements back. You may have to probe into the connectors with a nail to make connection, or even probe into the wires themselves with a sewing pin to get at the copper conductors.

3) Do the same measurements on the same wires while the start button is pushed in. Report back.

What these tests show is how your quad starting interlock is wired, and points to the problem location at the same time.