2007-2010 Kawasaki KFX50 SPECS AND MODS. - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Default 2007-2010 Kawasaki KFX50 SPECS AND MODS.

Over the next few days, I'm gonna add a little info. on this type of mini quad. Some of the information will be useful to some of you newcomers that needs a little helping hand. This info. comes from the service manual and my personal experience. Blood, sweat, and tears! I do not take any responsibility for any mechanical failure or bodily harm that comes from any mods that you performed from my advise.

First, I gonna add a list of the basic specs, then I will break down each area on the mini.

2007-2009 Kawasaki KFX50 SPECS.

ENGINE: 4-STROKE, SOHC, 1-CYLINDER
Same engine as a GY6 139QMB 50cc commonly used in scooters.

COOLING SYSTEM: Air Cooled

BORE AND STROKE: 39X 41.4MM

DISPLACEMENT: 49.5CM3

COMPRESSION RATIO: 10.8:1

CARBURETION SYSTEM: Keihin PTE 16MM/ AUTO CHOKE

STARTING SYSTEM: ELECTRIC STARTER/ KICK START

IGNITION: DC FIRED 12V CDI

IGNITION TIMING: 13 DEGREE BTDC @ 2000 RPMS

SPARK PLUG: NGK CR7HSA / Iridium CR7HIX9(performance plug)

VALVE CLEARANCE: .04MM(.0016 IN.) ON THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST(COLD CHECK)

FRONT SPROCKET: 16 TOOTH

REAR SPROCKET: 32 TOOTH
Old 04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

First area I would like to cover is the electrical system. Mainly being the CDI. The stock cdi will only allow the engine to run @ 7500 rpms. It moreless cuts out right before it hits its stride. A good +1000 rpms would have done this mini justice.
Now, this electrical system is a 12VDC current system. Meaning, the cdi is powdered by the battery. The cdi needs 12vdc to fire. A AC FIRED CDI WILL NOT WORK! You will only make a molten plastic mess with a AC fired cdi.
There are now a few cdi's on the market that will work with the KFX50/90. I will add them later to a mods list I will make. Stay tuned for more!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to add that the chain is a 428 o-ring type. When adding larger tooth sprockets, you do not have to buy a new chain.There is plenty of chain adjustment. Sprockets can be had a certain vendors, but I found a cheap , good made front sprocket that you can add if you can find it. You can run a 17T front sprocket from JT sprockets. Here is the part number that you will need to reference to find it.

JT SPROCKET PART #: JTF 259.17

The rear sprocket is a little more tricky. Certain mini quads rear sprockets will work,but it also depends on the year, so I won't go into detail what mini quads will work. I will say you can get the rear and front sprockets from Rebel Gears. With only a 17T front and a 28T rear sprocket, you should be able to achieve 17-20mph alone without a aftermarket cdi box.

16x13 roller weights is what you want to order when you replace the rollers in your variator. Total stock weight of all the rollers is 39.5 grams. I tend to run ours at 24-32 grams total depending what gear ratio we run and what engine mods were performed. A good starting point would be around 30-34 grams with a stock engine. Now keep in mind, those 16x13 rollers are for GY6 50cc size, so they can be had for cheap off ebay or any scooter shop. I personally like to run NCY rollers as of late. They are cheap and they make good quality products that exceeds other brands like Koso IMO.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRMOBILE101 View Post
First area I would like to cover is the electrical system. Mainly being the CDI. The stock cdi will only allow the engine to run @ 7500 rpms. It moreless cuts out right before it hits its stride. A good +1000 rpms would have done this mini justice.
Now, this electrical system is a 12VDC current system. Meaning, the cdi is powdered by the battery. The cdi needs 12vdc to fire. A AC FIRED CDI WILL NOT WORK! You will only make a molten plastic mess with a AC fired cdi.
There are now a few cdi's on the market that will work with the KFX50/90. I will add them later to a mods list I will make. Stay tuned for more!
New here and was wondering if this list was posted somewhere else on the site?

Thanks...
Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Quote:
Does this mean that I have to have a good charged battery hooked up for it to run even with the pull start (I have seen on here that the ltz-50 and kfx50 are basically the same bike and I have the '06 suzuki model)?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a KFX 50 - I have located the aftermarket CDI- where can I find the wiring to hook it it up- i found one at monstergy6. If theres a better one or different one, please let me know. new here so thanks for the help