Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Just Picked a Graydon Pipe for a LT50

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Picked a Graydon Pipe for a LT50

Update:

I got everything back together, here's the basic package-
-Drilled cap on the air filter, I am building a real airbox out of PVC to quiet down the intake noise and prepare for winter.
-Pulled stacked pilot, using 65 main, top clip for needle, 1 turn out on the air screw.
-Ground down top of carb slide so full throttle could be achieved.
-Lightly ported intake elbow and intake port.
-Changed the plug to a cooler one, an Autolite 4123. Same as a NGK BP5HS.
-1/4" hole about halfway down the intake side of the piston skirt.
-Polished combustion chamber.
-Head milled, 120psi of compression.
-Ported exhaust port, to size of gasket.
-1mm larger piston -Premix, 40:1 Motul.
-Drilled more holes in the exhaust "cap" at the very end of the exhaust.

It's still a little too rich, I'll be trying a 60 main next. When it clears out, it hits about 25mph now, and accelerates much better than before.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all for the info on the LTA50. I Didn't know there was a intake restrictor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. I would like to hear back on how good a pipe works on this machine.( power band ?). I already altered the stock exhaust and will be taken out the intake restrictor tomorrow. main jet on order with K&N filter w/ outer wrap.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, here is what I tried and ended up with: Originally I drilled 5 holes in the air box lid, raised the needle clip to the middle position, removed the primary pilot jet, ground the top of the carb slide and removed both the intake and exhaust restrictors. The 50 ran pretty good compaired to my nephews 50 which is stock. I then added a Graydon pipe, the 50 ran better with the primary pilot jet back in and a 60 main jet. It actually gets "on the pipe" in the midrange and top end but lost some bottom. Anyone perform any clutch mods for higher RPM? There is a company out of Ohio who takes the clutch shoes to a lathe and removes material to raise the RPM. They also sell a shim kit to raise the cylinder .100 so the piston completely clears the exhaust port. Once the shim is installed the cylinder needs to be milled .100. The complete service is $100.00, I'm thinking of trying it. The clutch mod is also $100.00. Turn around time is supposedly around a week. BTW - This same company also sells a 60cc big bore kit for the LTA50.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

When I had the motor work done, I asked about the idea of raising the cylinder. I was told that the vast majority of intake and exhaust is finished by the time the ports are totally uncovered, and not to bother. You may want to port the cylinder instead.

The clutch sounds like it might work well, but I'd really like to find a company that makes springs. Stiffer clutch springs would be a huge boon on this quad. Plus, it would be fairly easy to alter engagement points with different springs.

I tried drilling three 1/4" holes in the clutch shoes to raise the rpms up, but don't think it helped any.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Matt, this company has springs, check them out at www.miniquadracing.com. There seems to be a ton of stuff for the PW50, I wonder how much will interchange with the LT-50? Let me know any other changes you make that works, I'll do the same. I dig this little 50, hate to move to a Lem or Kasea. My 5 year old is racing at the ITP Quadcross at Glen Helen 11-16-03, you should check it out if you haven't already.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

Wierd timing, I just found the LT50 stuff there about an hour ago. I sent off an e-mail asking how much the springs raised the rpm point, and if there were varying levels of springs available.

If any PW50 stuff fits, that would be killer. I looked up the PW clutch at Bike Bandit, it appears to be a little different, but the aftermarket springs look a whole bunch like the LT springs.

I'd love to bring Jon down to Glen Helen, but I already know the schedule won't allow it.

It's good you like the little 50, as I'm a little frustrated with mine. Not so much because it doesn't do what it's supposed to- be a beginner's bike, but because everything is garbage from a performance standpoint. Jon's not physically big enough to graduate to a larger quad or dirt bike, so I'll just need to be patient, and remember it's just for fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2003, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

Matt, Let us know what you find with the clutch modifications.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Clutch mods will really help in the performance of these little machines, when modded. I was weary of the increased stall speed they create, but after my son got used to it (taking off twice), the smile on his face told the whole story. We ride in the sand, and it enables him to get to the power before moving the paddles. I was worried about putting 18" paddles on his 50, but seemed to work great. It is a Kasea Skyhawk 50, and I did some other stuff, but the transmission, I believe, is different.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I GOT A LT50 PORTED AND POLISHED AND BORED IT 40 OVER, SORRY NO WISECO HAD TO GET SUZ. PISTON. TOOK ALL THE GUTS OUT OF THE PIPE JETTED IT. HERES THE BEST THING I DONE... TOOK OFF STOCK AIR BOX THREW IT AWAY, THERE A METAL PLATE WITH 2 SCREWS THAT BOLTED THE AIR BOX ON KEEP IT, GET A K&N BREATHER FILTER AND CUT THE SPOUT OFF OF IT WELD OR BRAZE IT TO THE METAL PLATE GET A PIECE OF HOSE AND HOSE CLAMP IT FROM SPOUT TO FILTER, LEAVE ENOUGH SPOUT ON FILTER TO GET A HOSE ON WHEN YOU CUT IT. THIS IS A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT OVER STOCK. 3 TIMES BETTER. IF YOUR WORRIED ABOUT THE OPEN FILTER GETTING DIRTY, DONT... YOU CAN USE A LONGER PIECE OF HOSE AND PUT THE FILTER UNDER THE SEAT. BY THE WAY I DID AWAY WITH THE OIL INJECTER, I NOW PRE-MIX 36:1. IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL HAVE TO RUN IT ON THE (PRIM) POSITION ON THE PET **** OR IT WONT GET ENOUGH FUEL. WILL CLIMB THESE WEST VIRGINIA HILLS WITH ME ON IT NOW AND I WEIGH 215. MUCH, MUCH, FASTER THAN STOCK WILL RUN WITH A E-TON 50 NOW.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I've yet to receive a return e-mail for the clutch, and have left 2 voice messages regarding the clutch. Sorry no news there yet.

I did take my son out last Sunday for some mud action. 2 things are evident. One, the stock air filter absolutely sucks. I'm still working on a proper airbox, I think I'll use some of Rawdawgs idea. Two, drum brakes also suck in the water. The rear ones are dragging now, and it looks like I'll need to pull the axle to clean the shoes.

Quick Reply: Just Picked a Graydon Pipe for a LT50