Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Gas-Gas 300 ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

my son raced a gas-gas 300 quad for the local dealer this weekend. first i want to say i am by no means putting this quad down but we did have some issues with it that would need to be addressed for him to do better on it. first he said the quad has awesome power and jumps very well. he said he can do about anything he wants with it in the air. the steering was the only thing that he didnt like. the quad wore him out after one lap. the front end would pull in the opposite direction from the way he was turning so it was a fight the whole race. some things i noticed that may have caused this. stock front tires are very agressive 21 inch razrs, no steering stabilizer, front end looked to be 3 to 4 inches wider than the rear. the dealer said the tires was the problem but i think the quad needs to have some 4 and 1 rims on the front to even the front to rear width up more. has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you cure it. if this problem could be cured i think the quad would be great on a mx track.

Mark

Old 09-16-2003, 05:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

from what i understand, the steering pulling back to center is caused by the caster angle. i was told that the GG is set up with about 15-16 degrees of caster & should be about 6-8. i think some caster adjustable upper arms would help remedy this problem, once set up properly. i changed the tires this weekend to holeshot MX 19" front & 18" rear... i did notice a slight handling change, but it did pull back to center still. i have some 4+1 wheels but have not installed tires on them yet... the offset will help narrow it down some, but will not change the steering pull.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

are you saying there is no remedy to the steering problem then.

Mark

Old 09-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

You can call Frank at World Class Racing and he will help with the front end(440)224-1646

Old 09-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

thanks. i will do that. my son is interested in racing this quad for the dealer but this would have to be worked out first. his 440 ex is very smooth on the track and he can ride it for hours without getting tired. in a 5 lap race the gas-gas wore him slap out. as a matter of fact the last 2 laps he only rode hard enough to keep the lead.

Mark

Old 10-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

ok i think we have another problem here. the dealer that wants josh to ride the gas gas called yesterday and said the new a-arms came in from world class and want josh to race it again. we went and took a look at the quad and something aint right. the quad is only 46 inches wide in he font now and the wheels are tiped with the top out and bottom in. this is not a mx set up. please tell me they sent him the wrong a-arms. this quad has to be wider than this to run mx.

Mark

Old 10-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

you mean it has positive camber with the new arms? that's not good. neither is 46".... i thought they'd make them in whatever width you wanted. for MX i'd say a -1" from stock is all you need, at most.... that makes it about 49" wide then.

i've switched back & forth between my holeshots & razrs twice now & can say that it makes a ton of difference even with stock arms & shocks. for MX I put on some 19" front & 18" rear holeshots, the fronts on 4+1 offset wheels(makes it legal at 50" wide) running on the stock front suspension... it requires much less effort to steer than with the razrs.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

i talked to frank at world class today. hell of a nice guy and was very helpfull. i had let the dealer deal with him on the a-arms but now know i should have done it myself. he said we can put offset rims on it and get 48 inches out of these. he also said he has a-arms to make it 48 or 49 3/4. we will probably go with the 49 3/4 ones. my sons ex is 50 1/4 and it handles great. he is going to ride it friday night to see how much a difference the new a-arms make and we wll go from there.

Mark

Old 10-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

I have a 300 myself and raced it in motocross all year i love it, i moved from a stock banshee to this, i made minor adjustments like changed wheels and tires, beadlocks all the way around with 8 inch wheels with the 1-4 offset and 18" holeshots, took off all the extra junk, electronics and stuff, windshield u name it its bare now, lowered ride hieght by drilling new shock mounts ! 1/4 lower on the a-arm bracker and adjusted the shocks up to solve bottoming out problem, need to get them revalved but that comes later, put in seals around the gas tank to fix leaking problem rejetted it, and cut the silencer down in half so the back bracket mounts on the front bracket now- makes a tremendous amount of torque off the bottom end highly reccomend to cut the silencer down, and put on thumb throttle

The season started off slow because i had to trial it during the season and small things went wrong, i broke thumb throttle, bent shifter in below the frame, air cleaner kept causeing the carb to come loose and to install metal bracket instead of rubber, and nerf bar bolt broke off, but i manged top 10 in points and plan to keep running the gas gas next year contending for the a championship now that the problems are worked out. I plan to tear everything down during offseason put new bearing and everything in her.

Old 10-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gas-Gas 300 ???

does anyone else have any problems with thier ball joints mine seem to be bent pretty bad, also the a-arms seem to have a bow but its in both, anyone have any mods done to motor, this offseason i plan on getting the head milled and doing some port work, gotta keep up with those highly modded R's somehow

Quick Reply: Gas-Gas 300 ???