Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

suggestions for youth quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions for youth quad

I am new to this web page so let me start off by saying Hi. I have been out of the Quad scene for sometime and I am now looking for one for my 6 year old girl. What do you suggest. I have looked at the Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris and E-Ton. I am looking into the 80-90 cubic inch size but every sales man tell's you want you want to hear. I would like to know from some of you that have one of these youth Quads on which one you think is the best. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because of the size of a 6 year old, I would say the Suzuki LT80. My youngest, at 6 1/2 just started to ride this summer. Our smallest machine is the TRX90, and one of the largest mini's out there. He can ride it OK in the yard but is not in complete control. This is real obvious when he is on a trail. Also, he doesn't seem to have the foot strength to shift easily. As a parent, I feel that the size issue is enough that we're looking around for a used LT80 to get him through the next year or two.

The non-Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha mini's are making progress. Several seem to have gotten the quality issue covered although many still remain cheaply made cookie cutter copies of each other. There are many here on these boards with nothing but good words for what used to be considered "off" brands of kids ATV's.

At least we do have quite a few to choose from these days.

jaybee

And since I first posted this, we did go out and find that LT80 for my younger kids.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you are looking for a quad that is going to be for fun then definately the trx90 it is low maintenance with the power to get you there that some other quads dont offer
if you are looking for a safer cheaper beginner quad then i would suggest the e-ton viper

Old 09-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

i noticed most of the youth quads are about the same. i took my son to a few different places let him sit on them and pick out the one he liked. he chose the sp 90 because it had the little racks, green color looked just like a big sportsman. good power for a 55 pounder. just remember these are for our children we cherish so don t just turn them loose teach them correctly. i did like polaris helmet, safety flag, safety video and a pc game included. the full flloorboards make me feel better also. in a few short years she ll want a bigger one anyway

Old 09-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Most of the mini's out are ok machines,altho,I'm guessing you know which one I like [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
At 6 yrs.old, I'd let the childs size dictate the machine. If your child is small,then more fun will come from a 50cc machine to start out with.
Happy trails [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2003, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleive a 50 to an 80 that does not have to be shifted would be good. At this age, they are learning a lot and having fun doing it. It is frustrating for them to have to worry about shifting a lever that is physically hard for them. Not to mention, trying to understand when and why you need to shift them. You want to keep it as simple and fun as possible. You will know when they are ready for a bigger, slightly faster one. I know this from experience, I started my boy out on a trx70. It is a three speed auto. He rode it around in first gear for a long time before he could shift it. Also, pick one with a suspension as opposed to one without. The bumps are a lot more forgiving. There's my two cents, keep the change.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

i just purchased a drr 50 & my son loves it he is 4 they seem to be a great youngster quad and only cost me 1400 out the door.

Old 09-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 4 year old son. He has an e-ton 40 but races with his cousins e-ton 50. He loves it. If your daughter is going to race youll need to buy a 40 or 50 this class goes until the child is 8.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well my 60 yr old has a 50 and rocks on it. Its not to big not to small for him. We have let the throttle out as far as can and takin the end cap off pipe. Hey those thats kids are racin. Mine wants to get into it and I never have can ya give me some pointers on what need to do to find out who,where,what,and when. Is there a Racin for Dummies book hahahaha

Old 09-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Ha Ha Ha and thats 6 yr old not 60 yr old ahahahhaha

Quick Reply: suggestions for youth quad