Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Trouble with 50 Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with 50 Scrambler

Hey everyone got a question . Well my little mans 50 wouldnt start yesterday and I believed it to be a dead battery which it was but put the new battery in earlier and it turns over but no start. Any ideas on what should check next before I take it to the almighty expensive dealer?

Old 10-18-2003, 07:46 AM
Trailblazer

I was on this road not too long ago... Don't take her to the dealer just yet, might check a few things to save you a mortgage payment.

Assuming that you are sure the teather switch is good, first place I would go is the plug. Is it getting fire? Pull it out, replace the cap and lay it on something, turn it over and what do ya get? Good spark?, you've go a fuel problem. No spark?, test it with a different plug. If you still don't have any spark start checking your connections to your teather switch, key, kill switch, CDI, pull the fan cover off the right side and check the flywheel pickup and magnet. If all this looks good, I'd say your about to do exactly what the dealer would do... Start changing components. There should be only 6 components that could cause this. The teather switch, the key, kill switch on the left, CDI, coil, and the flywheel/pickup. You can replace every one of these parts off of E Bay for less than $150, the dealer will charge more than that in labor. If you're having battery charging problems, the trouble may lie in the stator area if you haven't maintained it propperly (neither did I).

Old 10-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks TeamSimms I will give it a whack this morning thats what i was gonna do first is pull the plug cause wont even kick over so will start there. Is that stator hard to replace cause this is the third battery since we bought it last year.

Old 10-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

As for the Stator, it is easy to replace but don't buy it from the dealer! You can find them on E Bay for about $30.00 or so. But it may be the rectifier that's cooking your battery. Go to this page and under Tech support there is a fault diagram that will tell you exactly what is http://www.electrexusa.com/. We have opted not to replace our stator because we race. It gets rather dirty in there and if you don't continiously clean it, it will burn the windings up in the stator. From what I'm told these mini's tend to go through the Stators.

Old 10-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome will check it out. On the way to get a new plug right now. Man i hope thats all it is. I am no master mechanic I know just enough to get myself in trouble ya know. My son would like to race his. We have that cap off then of the silencer,have the washer between the head and pipe ground out,and needle all the way out on the restrictor. I guess the next step(of course once we get it runnin again) is to try this cdi thing.

Old 10-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Well the plug didnt work

Old 10-19-2003, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Is it getting spark? If so remove the air inlet from the carb and choke it with your hand. If your Stator is gone you have no choke. I had to start my son's Scrambler this way until I changed the carb. If you're not getting spark, I guess you're back where you started from...

Old 10-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well team it wound up being the electric choke had got dirty. I took it to a guy that took it apart cleaned it up and said it fired right up so was either that or a combo of the things.