Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

?'s from others who have been here before

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s from others who have been here before

you could try mancos site ,i dont have a digital camera i spend all my money on toys for the kids(my son and myself)

Old 10-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my son a LT-A50 for his 3rd birthday. We live on a mountain, and learning to ride a bike on anything but flat ground is quite difficult, so he was on the quad before he could ride a bicycle. His Power Wheels quad and Jeep stripped out the plastic gears just trying to go around the house (I studded the tires for traction), so that finalized it.

A couple points, or just opinions:
-You should be in good enough shape to run right behind him the entire time for several months. Just when you think he has it down, something will distract him and he'll eat a fence. Since the factory LT-A50 is really slow, that wasn't as hard as it sounds. Btw- the factory tether didn't work once, so I learned right away to stay close enough to grab the back bar. I'd be very leery of a radio-controlled kill switch (and I'm in the radio business).
-You'll need to perform many, many drills to get him accustomed to grabbing for the brakes. If your son does not take directions well, consider the consequences.
-The biggest issue I had was my son being distracted. At that age, everything in the world is really interesting, and worth focusing on regardless of what tree is right in the way. At almost 5, my son still will get distracted on occasion, but it's not the same kind of issue. At 3, they'll completely forget that they're riding along.
-At this age, I don't think a foot brake is of any concern. If anything, having the brakes in visual range at all times might be preferable for a 3 year old.
-I can't emphasize enough having all the proper riding gear. Helmet, gloves, long pants, long-sleeve shirt, boots, chest protector. I really like using knee pads too.
-Don't be shocked if he'd rather play with dirt than ride in it.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Motorcycles teach respect...quads don't

I start him on a pw50 or an xr50 if he is a little taller...
training wheells can be installed on either allowing the rider to build confidence in himself

Old 10-31-2003, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

I gotta' disagree with you there.

Whether they crash on 2 or 4 wheels (and they will of course crash), there's going to be respect learned. Training wheels on a dirt bike just make no sense to me at all. High center of gravity, easy to flop it over, and incorrect style of turning for that style of machine.

My son's legs are so short that he can barely touch on a PW50, and he's almost 5. The key is how the parent uses the various machines or toys as learning tools.

Old 10-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

My son started racing at age 4, He is big for his size since i am 6 foot 5 and my wife is 6 foot. My best friend put his two year old on an lem condor. The only thing that stinks is that when they out grow it there are no major mods to do to make it last longer for the size. What we do is put a tie down on the handle bar and go to the nerf bar so that the wheel is turned, we just let it idle and hold onto the kill tether and try not to get to dizzy. When he got to the point he was trying to turn the bars to go straight we gave him a little more slack to go around some more. This seemed to work well for us and another friend of ours whos twin boys used to be tops in the nation on quads. Obviously you could do this with any quad so do your research on all quads from suspension to handling to preformance upgrades down the road. Best of luck and hopefully you will be exstatic when he goes on his own and you can sit and watch without running behind, because riding with daddy is alot different than look at me dad I am doing it on my own and when he looks at you in appreciation....... O crud there is a tree[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]