Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

?'s from others who have been here before

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s from others who have been here before

Hello,
My son is going to turn 3 in feb. I want to get him a quad. He has mastered his powerwheels jeep and can drive me around the yard on my warrior in 1st gear. He just isn't strong enough to turn the bars!

So, I think he can master the throttle and steering OK, but the braking scares me. THe only youth atv I have seen with a foot brake is the Kazuma meercat. It seems to be a decent bike for the price, but from looking at this forum it seems like a gamble on quality.

At what age did you guys get your kids on quads?

Any other advice is great.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three years old is very young for a quad rider. Not that some can't do it, but most kids that age do not have the ability to steer, throttle and brake. In any event, you are looking at a 50 max size.

Jaybee

Old 10-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Get him a Raptor, then he can beat that 12 year old at Glamis. On second thought, get him a tricycle. Let him learn some basics before you start putting him on something with a motor. If he gets hurt young you could scare him away from riding for life. JMO

Old 10-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can get him a KFX 50 thats a nice atv

Old 10-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The minimum age in having a motor under a kids legs is their ability to control the unit and your personal comfort zone. I seen kids at age 5 control their quad better then some 12 year olds, and I've seen a few 5 year old kids do many face plants. Yes, sideways or into the handle bars. In our family, age 8 and up is our minimum age limit. In some families, age 5 and up is their limit. Age 3 sounds way too young for me.

If you do get a little 40 cc or 50 cc mini-quad your your kid, ensure he/she can control it, and you have a remote kill switch for it. A 2 way radio headset, like they us in racing, will also help.

Good luck...

Old 10-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

In my opinion, a kid should be able to ride a bike without help (training wheels, parents, etc..) well before putting them on anything with a motor. Trust me, seeing your kid wreck and get hurt for the first time will make you question your decision for buying them wheels no matter how old they are. My 7 year old has been riding for 2 years on an 80. He was able to ride his bike at age 3 very well. But he still scares me to death on his quad. I also don't let my boys ride unless I'm with them. I don't always ride, but they are within eye sight. It may not sound like much, but they know I'm watching and they know if they do somthing stupid I'll see it and they will have to take a break.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer

i just bought my just about 4 yr old a drr 50 & he handles it just fine the thing with the drr & i imagine all of the 50's you can turn them down to where they barely move just be careful not to tell the dealer how old your kid is because most dealers will not sell tem to you if they know someone under six will be riding it

Old 10-29-2003, 02:53 AM
Range Rover

GET HIM A LEM!!!!
oh wait i dont want to start that again lol
look for a 50cc bike that fits him theres a kasea 50 thats small kinda like the power wheels atv size and it has enough power to pull you around
Iv seen Raptor720 buzzing his stock one around the pits at every race( normally in a wheelie)
Dwayne

Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

if it doesnt have to be a quad manco makes a 49cc jeep that is great for the little guys ,my son got his at 21/2 there is no brake pedal ,the brake automatically applies as you let off the gas,it has a throttle limiter,and a remote tether,plus its two seater with seat beltsif you have another child ,similar to the power wheels but larger and gas powered and i believe i paid like 749.00 for the one we had..just another option

Old 10-30-2003, 12:55 AM
Range Rover

is there any pics of the jeep?
that sounds cool
Dwayne