Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??

chunky
You have to turn it down that's for sure. And for a 4 year old you have the correct bike.
Jarrett

Old 12-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

Um, isn't Cat500i's kid 4? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2003, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

MattFisher,
Good lord do I need to draw you a picture? I will try to be as clear as I can here.
1)
If you are ON A TIGHT BUDGET, and knowing what I know now, would always RECOMMEND waiting until your child is at LEAST 6 years old before you buy them a bike, period. For ME, that bike was an Suzuki LT80 because you can kink it down to go as slow as any 50cc built today and it has the smallest frame of the little bikes and will grow with them for YEARS and YEARS.. I would recommend but it's not needed to bypass the stock oil injection and premix the Amsoil 100:1 Synthetic oil to keep the plug clean. Best time to do this is when the dealer is doing there dealer prep tell them NOT to fill up the oil tank under the seat. This will save you a little mess later. You also need the wheel spacers I mentioned before to ensure that this bike isn't going to turn over on a hard corner. Our LT80 actually ejected one of our friends kids that was doing something stupid. He went flying and the bike stayed planted on a hard corner and just rolled ro a stop. You will also need to make DAMN sure the thing is kinked down to a crawl or at least as fast as the 50's. Check it with THEM on the bike not you. SLOWLY increase the speed and tell them when you do so their isn't any surprises. They will need ALL the protective gear, right down to the boots. Take some of the extra money you'll throw away on the 50cc and spend it here.

2)
Now, pay real close attention here.... If MONEY IS NO OBJECT and you don't mind spending $1500.00- $2000.00 on a 4 wheeler and also INSIST on having your 3-4-5 year old on a ATV, get the 50cc. When they are bored with it and grow out of if in a year or less just go get the 80cc then.

I surley don't care what you or anyone else does with their money. I do however care for the saftey of all the children. So if a parent chooses a 50cc or an 80cc for their kids they just need all the facts so they can make the choice for what is best for THEIR children. The reason that I state that kids should be 6 is because ALL 5 and under children are about as clueless as a humans can get.

How old was my son? Well he got the LT80 on his 5th birthday. Knowing what I know now I might have waited until he was 6. But I instead, I learned all I could about the bike and did all of the above mods to the bike and it hasn't been a problem. His confidence on the LT80 is great and he RESPECTS the machine. He also has many rules attached to him when he rides like, alway's wear ALL your gear every ride, stopping at crossings, go in the right direction on trails all the time, NO RECKLESS driving, being in control of the bike at all times, always ride with a flag pole on the bike, no passengers unless it's me. Also, I spent the entire spring/summer teaching him every day almost, how to ride, what to look for. Created situations that he had to get out of the right way like hillsides, large water holes, logs, leaning into corners at high speeds and leaning to the outside when you are in a tight area and need to turn around.... If he breaks the rules he hears about it and I'm not very shy when I do so.

Someone wrote that what I'm saying is ther isn't a martket for the 50cc. Well for me there isn't. If your in the #2 bracket above then there is. This is not black and white. I come from an ATV family on both sides. My sons have been riding with my wife and I on ATV's since they were 6 months old. They are used to it and are comfortable on them. We live in the country on almost 20 acres and we ride anytime we want right from our back yard. My son has a LOT of seat time on the LT80 now. Some people on here buying quads here may have never even ridden one themselves. They may live in the city and only ride on weekend and holidays, or at "grandma's house. Just be safe....
Jarrett

Old 12-19-2003, 01:59 AM
Trailblazer

Jarsong, nice picture you drew, kinda' like Picasso. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just so I understand you,
1) 50cc bikes are a waste of money, unless the parents are rich?
2) 3-5 years old is too young because kids are clueless, unless it's your kid?

I'm not much of an artist, let's see how much sense I make though.

1) Repeat after me- resale. My son's LTA50 was about $1700, and I could sell it for about $1500 today, after 2 years of riding. I could move him to a Kasea 90 for about $200 more dollars. Not quite the $1500-2000 loss you mentioned, but who's counting? Speaking of which, I have spent about $200 modifying his lil Zuk, which now goes about 25 mph and still fits his short legs- something the LT80 doesn't do yet.

2) While I'm on the subject of correct fit, I think the 350cc Warrior has a screw type restrictor in the throttle housing, which would leave for a possible lifetime of "growing into", but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for someone that can't even touch the footpegs at this time. No spacers needed on this machine, btw. (Just ribbin' you there, I think the extenders are a great idea).

3) Maybe you feel that almost every kid under age 6 is clueless, I don't. Maybe I'm the only one here that feels that way? Not likely.

As we've both mentioned, the most important item here is the safety of the kids. That's why I am a proponent of the 50cc machines. For a parent that wants to start junior out in the 3-5 year range, or just for kids with short legs, it's a SAFER choice than an 80cc machine. As I mentioned to Cat in my first post, the child's height is of major importance. After he replied that the LT50 seemed a little small, I suggested that he pass on it, and that the LT80 would probably be a better choice.

I think the LT80 is a fine little quad, but don't try to pass off that it's just as safe for a LITTLE guy with the throttle turned down as a 50cc quad- it's not. I'm not here trying to bust your chops, Jarsong. If you re-read my posts they center around matching the quad to the rider, not finding a way to make one quad fit most kids.

Lastly, since the LTA50 makes such a great beginner quad, I'll be keeping mine when as my son outgrows it this next year. My wife is due to deliver a baby girl on May 7th. The next one to get introduced to riding- I can't wait.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

I give up. Your a brick. Next topic please. :-)
Jarrett

Old 12-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Me and the wife went today and looked at them. We decided he was a little big for the 50 and the 80 looked like it was just right. Lots of growing room. We bought a helmet, goggles, gloves, and a chest protector. I rode it around the yard a couple of times. It really needs the wheel spacers, it's really top heavy. I am so glad I got it for him. He is going to be jumping out of his shoes.

Thanks to all

Old 12-21-2003, 03:17 AM
Trailblazer

Oh man, I would love to see his face when he finds it!!!! My son was in shock.... Nothing like the joy something like that brings to our young ones! Be safe and have a happy holiday. P.S. -- Now before I forget. READ THE PART IN THE OWNERS MANUAL ABOUT THE FUEL SELECTOR AND WHAT THE DIFFERENT POSITIONS DO!!! This is very important. If you have it in the wrong position you'll have some trouble on your hands. Don't ask how I know...
Jarrett

Old 12-21-2003, 03:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

With your little guy only 4 y/o, you really need to be careful with that 80. the right 50 probably would have been a better idea for him for a year or two. Resale is good and you wouldn't have lost that much. Dial that thing down as far as it'll go. Yup, wheel spacers would be a great idea. My son is 5, and I'm really leary about the 80 for him. I know when I buy his sister one, he'll want to ride it.
You will have fun with it though, let us know how it goes and how well it suits him. Will help me decide also.

What model year is, and if you don't mind, what you paid for it out the door? It seems back your way they are a little cheaper that out West here.

Good Luck and have fun, enjoy.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2003, 03:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

jarsong

I live in WA to. Did you buy your LT80 new? If so, so you mind me asking who you bought it from and how much it cost you out the door? I think I have narrowed it down to a LT80 for my daughter.

Thanks a bunch

Old 12-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jarsong and triplejfarm, I believe you both agree that children have different ability levels at all ages. Bottom line is, when we put our kid on a motorized vehicle we are putting them at higher risk of getting injured than if they were playing Xbox ATV quad power racing. It is a calculated risk judged by us on their assumed abilitys.

I dont believe in getting a quad for them based on what we think their abilitys will be in a year or two. It should be for right now. If it is a little slow for them they should master it quickly and feel confident on it. If it is taken care of, you will get a good price for it when you sell it. The fun on it will far outweigh the difference in buying and selling price, especially if bought used. If you are buying new then you must not be worried about price that much so it doesnt matter unless you plan on handing it down to siblings.

Ok Cat500, my boy was almost four when I bought his TRX70. Looking back I wish I would have bought a 50 with cent. or cvt clutch. For a while it is ok for him to putt around in first gear but pretty soon he is winding it out. It is hard to teach a four year old how, when, where and why you shift gears. Besides, the higher gears get him going faster than I am comfortable with. The best I have is to buy it for his size and abilitys now, not for next year.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: LT50, LT80, or TRX 90 for Christmas??