Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

90cc airbox removal/Jetting???????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90cc airbox removal/Jetting???????

yes, we had to run the needle clip all the way up (clip down) to run very good. We ended up going to a different needle, because we still weren't satisfied with performance.

Just to be clear though, when I spoke of the needle valve, I was talking about the float needle valve (the one that shuts fuel off or lets it in depending on float height).

Old 01-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Bendman, your atv IS running out of fuel when it dies after the throttle being pinned for a little while. The float needle valve seat has so small an opening that it can't keep up with the fuel requirements, so the float bowl eventually goes dry. You (or preferrably your dealer under warranty) can take a drill bit that is slightly bigger and open the hole. The float needle should still have enough taper left on the viton tip to seal the bigger hole.

If you do some measuring, you'll find that the hole in the float needle valve seat is barely bigger than the main jet hole. I don't know why the mfg is using such a seat?

Old 01-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

222, thanks much for the info!!

Old 01-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

222 that is what ive been lookig for with the 149 main jet the thing was running out of fuel climbing long hills. will drill the float fuel opening to at liest the same as the main jet, if the dont work i will throw away the carb and start over. thanks again if u get over to the caost give me a buzz.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

It is good to have people say "thank you"! I appreciate it guys. I spent countless hours and money trying to solve these problems, so there is no need for you guys to have to reinvent the wheel.
Anytime you have questions, post them; and if I don't check the forum for a while, just email me at recreationspec@aol.com - I check email almost daily.

good luck and thanks for the invitation to look you up! We travel some to race, so maybe I'll meet you in the future.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

222 I talked to my dealer and they said that it would not be covered under my warrenty. I took the float bowl off of the carburetor and there is two little Brass screws (needle seat's) ??? one is larger and sticks out the other small and is up inside one of the housings that sticks out from the body of the carb. The larger one says 77.5 on it. I don't know what to do from here. I don't know which one you want me to drill. Thank you for your help 222.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

This is a mfg defect and should be covered, no questions asked! Truth is, they probably have several units out there with the same problem. You shouldn't have to figure out which jet is which, they Should!

The one that says 77.5 is your main jet. It is OK as long as you haven't modded the air filter system. Your "float" is attached to your carb body by a pin - push it out and the float will come off with the "float needle" attached. The hole that the "float needle" comes out of is the "float needle seat". The small hole down deep in the "float needle seat" is the one that is too small - this is how fuel gets into the carb. You must drill it out - don't go too big or the little tip on your "float needle" won't be big enough to seal off the fuel flow anymore and gas will overflow all the time.

If your dealer refuses to honor the warranty and you aren't comfortable doing this, send it to me and I'll do it for you.

best wishes

Old 01-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

222, Thank you very much for the reply. I did what you said. I ended up opening up the seat hole to 5/64's. That's as wide as i could go and still have the flaot needle work. I just took it out in my driveway and it's still doing the same thing. It could be a little better but I can't tell. what do you think?? maybe a bad filter? Do I need to order a bigger needle and seat? Maybe?

Old 01-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

Hey Trailblazer.
You got some great info so far but I have some good and bad news.
The good: You may need a larger fuel line or fuel tank petcock. Not to hard to figure out. Get some clear hose/tubing from the local hardware/marine store. Get some OEM size and some next size up. Run the unit on a lift/ jack wide open and "see" what happens.
The bad: drilling the jets may get you to the right size for WOT but most jets are tapered bore. This helps the needle seal the " idle/ low speed" fuel control vs "on the main" fuel control. If you get wide open right it still may run poor or load up at less than WOT.
Best of luck.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mars, Who's Trailblazer ???

Quick Reply: 90cc airbox removal/Jetting???????