Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 lacks speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT80 lacks speed

got about 3-4 hours on the top end rebuild. top speed 20-30 K. (that's Kilometers), coverts to 15-20MPH.is that good or bad, or what I should expect? I'm sure rollers have never been greased.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 lacks speed

I just got our lt back together this weekend, it has an FMF pipe, Boyseen reeds, uni air filter, I rejetted the carb, took the oil injection off and took two rollers out of the front clutch. Yesterday while we were riding, I was running about 30 along side my youngest son on his Badger and my oldest son on the LT just ran off and left us. LT80 has stated that a stock LT should turn about 6800 rpm, while I wouldn't consisder ours to be stock, it sure ain't very moded, but it soulds like it turns more like 12680 rpms. I think regearing it is in the near future.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 lacks speed

using my ear-tach, I don't think I'm getting 6800rpm. I am still in break in I guess. I think removing the rollers just gives you more low end take off, doesn't do anything for top speed does it? did you have much other maintenance to do? I'll check mine with a real tach.also, there's a couple of tests i can do for clutch, before tearing it apart.

Does disconnecting oil injection increase power/performance? I've seen tons of posts here about that.Seems everyone goes with 32:1. I really like leaving that stuff stock...but maybe..

I'm not looking for a racer or speed demon, but 15-20 MPH seems slow for what I've been told about stock LT80s. 30mph would be fine.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 lacks speed

The oil injection on ours seemed to put way to much oil in. It actually ran out the pipe, and tried to foul plugs. That is the only reason for taking it off. (seemed to really help so far) Whith the two rollers out, I cannot tell any difference in top speed, but taking off. my 10year old can give a little tug on the bars and gas it and the front comes up quickly. (almost to quickly for me) I would love to hook up a tach to this thing and see what it turns. I drag raced for years, and have heard alot of high winding engines, but this thing seems unreal. LT80 said before that at wide open it should turn around 6800rpm's to the best of my memory. And said that his modded engines turn around 9800. I don't have any of the porting or other mods that he does, but it sure seems like ours turns alot more than 6800, and I think I'd pee my pants if it went another 3000.
Ours tops out quickly now at about 35+/-, and seems to be held back by the gearing. I'm planing on trying a 12 tooth front sprocket and see if that helps. LT80 is the man when it comes to these things, so get in touch whith him about the clutches, he'll set ya straight.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default LT80 lacks speed

did you check the throttle limiter, if that screw is turned in it will keep it from reving

Old 03-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 lacks speed

Speaking of limiters. If the throttle cable is stretched or not working properly, or not adjusted right, that could limit the rpm's. Ive seen cables do that before.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 lacks speed

yes, I did back off throttle limiter screw, and it made no difference. I'll check to see what my cable adjustment is like, I never thought of that. BUT first, I've gotta fix petcock.AND, my rebuilt starter may already be screwed,,,, because it isn't cranking and battery is fine.I don't need these problems before we go to Oregon next weekend.Especially the starter, because it's so ugly to get to.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 lacks speed

No need to bit the bulit on the clutch you can do that yourself. Here is an artical on clutches read and tackel it: http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/clutching1.html

Looks like you can remove a few weights from the front clutch and your in business...

Old 04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 lacks speed

zukisu: that article is "OK" altho, I can guarantee that the author has never had a cvt machine on a dyno. If he did, he'd know that you cannot set a cvt clutch up on a dyno and have it work the same on dirt.
We tried all that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 lacks speed

LT80
what are your thought on a weight (3) removal off the front clutch. Stock motor, pipe and carb.
Or do you think the motor need to polished and ported before doing anything to clutch?
I hear alot of people say keep the stock carb and pipe and just polish n port head and do a clutch job.
Thank you

Quick Reply: LT80 lacks speed