Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

my kids want lights!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my kids want lights!

they have 03 pred 90 and 04 pred 90 can you put lights on them , will it just kill the battery

Old 03-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

scramboy,

Welcome to this forum. We don't see "1" posting very often.

Yes, you can install a front light on a Pred-90. To obtain details, surf the info within: Press Here

Note: If you stay under 40 watts (I like 35 watts as a max), your strator & battery will hold up just fine. Anything above 40 for a long period of time and its battery will drain.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

For other upgrades you may want to apply to your Pred-90 units, surf entire post of -Press Here-

If you need more details within each one of these areas, send me a PM.

Hope this helps in other areas as well...

Old 03-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

What about a lt50? No battery.

Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

With no battery and electric start, the LT50's strator system probably isn't strong enough to support its CDI ignition and optional lights. It's probably just a simple Magneto system. As a suggestion, contact http://www.rickystator.com/ to inquire if they have an LT50 upgrade kit that would work.

Talk about upgrade kits, I really like their Molded hood light system as shown at Press Here Hopefully, they will make such a hood light system for many other types of minis. Now that would be really cool...

Hope this helps...

Old 03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

It appears one of the above URLs is currently unavailable. Here's the info that was within that site...

< --------------------------------------------- >

For those of you who are thinking of installing a front light on your Polaris Predator 90 (or the hood of another mini-Quad), here's some info that may help....

To obtain pictures how I installed a single light on our '03 Pred-90, surf Press Here
* If wondering, click on the little pictures and they will become much larger.

For our single light, I installed it within the center of our hood (on top of the red plastic area). To create more support for the light, I also created a customized support bracket. This steel bracket is 1" wide, approx. 6" long and it bent into a an upside down "U" shape. With this support bracket, it distributes the weight of the light (and its bouncing weight) onto its main hood. If you want, I can take / post more pictures of this bracket - if you need them. The light I used was a 12v-55 Watt clear lens automotive fog light.

I then replaced the H3-55 watt bulb with "hard to find" H3-35 watt bulb. To obtain 35 watt bulbs, surf:
Online Store 1
Online Store 2

Note: The Pred-90's Strator system generates 70 Watt output. Therefore, its electrical system will support a 35-Watt bulb and still have extra to "Charge Up" its battery.

The automotive clear lens fog light that I used was only $28.00. Its made of black plastic and has a cheap lens. For a automobile fog light on a vehicle, I would NOT recommend them. One high-speed rock or ice chunks and they would fall apart. For mini-Quads and slow speed driving units (like lawn tractors, etc.) this brand of cheap plastic fog light works great. If my son rolls his unit and it breaks the front plastic light, there's only minimum financial loss. I just install its second fog light on his hood. In our area, a good quality clear lens fog lights are as high as $140.00 / set. Way too much money for an low speed moving unit like a mini-quad.

For its light switch, we removed its oil injection LED (in the center of its dashboard) and installed a 12V rotation type switch. I then ran the wire directly back to its battery area, installed an inline 3 Amp fuse and only used a 4" long wire before it connects onto its battery. Since we fill its Injection Oil tank every time we go out, and its Injection Oil tank can support 4 or 5 tanks of gas, there's zero chance we'll ever use the Oil Injection LED. It's dashboard hole is more useful for its rotating light switch.
Note: I'll be removing its factory Oil Injection system within the next 2 weeks. We didn't need its LED anyway.

If I had to install another light on the Pred-90, I'd still install a single light on its hood or handle bar area. Originally, I thought about installing lights within its front shock holes (like some people do) but my local Honda dealer told me its a bad idea. Why??? Being so close to the front tires, the lights would always be covered in mud. Also, the lights in the shock area would often get hit with stones, sticks and be under large amounts of vibration. Being in the shock holes, there is little anti vibration protection. The bulbs inside the light assembly will always be severely shaken around. Hence, shorter lift of the bulb. From a lighting perspective, its better to mount one's main driving lights higher. With low mounted lights, they can cut through thick fog much better. Lower mounted lights also skims across the flat ground. With high mounted lights, the light beam shines downward. This downward light shows depths of pot holes and around corners much better. Installing a light on the top of the hood or handle bar area is much better to see with.

If I had to do it again, I would NOT use an automotive clear lens fog light. By the time I purchased the $28.00 light set, its rotating switch, 12V wiring, inline fuse and 35 watt replacement bulb, I could have purchased the ATV kit for the same price (and less hassle). Some ATV Light Kits comes with 35 Watt bulbs, switch, etc. and its lights are not the typical "light house beam focus" like many automotive clear lens fog lights. ATV classified lights have a much better light spread. This spread is much better for going around corners at night. Next time on a Pred-90 unit, I would use the bundled kit as shown within Press Here

For pictures of other sites with light info, surf:
http://www.lt80lightkit.com/
http://www.xtreme-4x4.com/ATV_Lights.htm
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...=376590&BQ=atv
http://www.driving-lights.com/atv_light_kit.html
http://www.rickystator.com/pages/Lig...20systems.html

If you want to install a light near the top of your unit's hood but don't want to drill holes into its plastic, you may be able to ask your local welder / steel fabrication guy to create a customized handle bar BASE plate. With this plate, you can then install the light and have it "turn" into the corners. For a visual on the LT80, surf Press Here

Billy Holt @ WRH_Racing http://www.atv-kids.com wrote me once stating that a front light assembly off an Xtreme 100 unit could also work. This is an ATV classified light and can connected directly onto the handlebar assembly area (or something like that). Well worth investigating this option further as well.

Hope this helps others....

Old 03-17-2004, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

my son has a light on his pred 90 and it works great!! I also fixed the tai light so ot wouls work when the key is on. the tail light was a little trickier but if you want the details let me know and I will get you the info. Warn sells a ATV trail light kit that I used for about 50.00 and it comes with everything you need. I also just realised that you can see the light in the pic of all 3 of the bikes

Chris

Old 03-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help picked up the warn light kit and going to install this weekend let you know if its good by the way warn sells a back up light kit it is the same kit but you get one light instead of twoand it is only 28 $

Old 03-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I talked to Ricky Stator about my son's raptor 80, and he indicated that the stator on that model is a split design, with 20 watts to starting/battery charge etc, and the other side is not used at all. He even gave me the color code on the wiring. (Nice to know a professional is willing to share information for free). any way, check around, you might find out that yours is made like this too.

I am having problems finding 20 watt kits, but after looking at the 35 watt ATV light kit mentioned above, my question is this... Will it be OK if I ran one 35 watt light even though the stator is producing only 20 watts? I realize it won't be as bright, but anything is better than nothing. I figure the most it can pull is going to be 20 watts any way, so I am not at risk of burning the thing up, and since it will be on it's own circuit, I won't have to worry about killing the battery.

Also, for those of you that are worried about wattages, you might consider using LED's for tail lights etc. www.radlites.com has a good selection.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

i put two of these on my nephews p90 20watts each one flood and one spot i mounted them in the extra shock mounting holes they look good and i can't get over how much light they produce http://www.dunesport.net/ttAccessories.html

Quick Reply: my kids want lights!