Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

honda trx70

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda trx70

My son had one for the last 3 years. Had all the same problems and then some. If you have the brake cables off, make a small funnel out of thick paper that will fit on cable end and tape it to the cable and tape the seam. Clamp the cable to something in a vertical position and fill the funnel with oil, then wait till oil is coming out of the cable end. You might have to work the cable some with channel locks back and forth to get it sliding properly. The metal wire in the cable has a thin plastic cover over it, if this cover is haging up inside the cable it may be possible to pull it out of the cable alittle at a time and cutting it off , thus eliminating it. I had to do this with one front cable and it worked fine. While the oil is soaking you should take the front wheels off and take the breaks apart( the mechanical parts) clean them up and lubricate them, cause they will stick also. Same goes for the throttle cable and rear brake cable. Now the tires were a problem also. If the beads a breaking I guess you mean splitting( dry rot)?If rubber is good,put air in the tires and soap them down to find the leaks. I had both bead leaks and rim center leaks. Either way, take the rim apart, make sure its not bent, then wire wheel the surface that the bead contacts( cleans off old rubber build up), find a good gasket material and make a gasket to fit in between the rim halves, and use that sticky brown gasket sealer when putting it back together, and let it set up for awhile. This should work if it don't then get some tire sealer and load it up with that, it will work. I had one tire that needed it even after all that other work. I would lift up fourwheeler and set it on a wooden block so if the tire went flat it wouldn't put a crease in the tire. Good luck finding parts, one place that I found is Bikebandit.com, they have the diagrams and all, but some parts they don't make anymore. If your kids ride in water better check the rear bearings, their open cage bearings and may need some attention also,put sealed bearings in ours. The oil filter is just a screen. The bushing for the steering shaft, up near the handle bars, is plastic,and is probly going to fall apart if it hasen't already. They don,t make it anymore, had to make one for ours. The chain idler roller is some kind off plastic or something, it will disintegrate. If its still there you can make a new roller for it by copying the old one, otherwise it's 80 bucks for the roller and bracket, they don't sell just the roller. Thats just the start. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:36 AM
RIP Dear Friend
Default honda trx70

ATC70X project

You need to look at this photo page:

KASEY, LIVE TO RIDE

Old 05-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Default honda trx70

We have a honda 70 too, it's a 1986 and is still in good stock condition. I haven't had any problems with it. I have even taken it out at Pismo and gone up and down dunes with it. It might not be a speed demon with me on it, but it's powerful enough to haul me around for fun. I would just put tubes inside the front wheels if you can't get it to stop leaking. I also run 10w40 in it and have not had any problems with it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
With your kids riding the quad, I would just play it safe and replace the brake cables, never know if they might catch while the kids are trying to come to a complete safe stop. A little preventive maintenance goes along way when it comes to safety. JMHO Lt.Dan