Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Twist throttle for Viper

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist throttle for Viper

Does anybody know if I can put a twist throttle on a Viper 50 and if so where can I get it

Old 04-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From a technology perspective, you can put a twist throttle on a mini. I think hetrick racing sells them. If you do purchase one, ensure you obtain the proper handle bar thickness, etc. etc. I'm sure the seller like Hetricks can help you decide on which model is the best for your brand. Their site is http://www.hetrickracing.com/miniintake.htm (picture near bottom of their screen).

From a safety perspective, give it some very serious thought if you want your kid driving a twist lock throttle on their mini. Some kids don't adapt to it very well, and others do. I've read many previous postings stating twist throttle on minis are very "unsafe" for kids. Something about changing the natural body posture and freezing with its gas wide open. For me, I've left our thumb gas throttle control "as factory" and will introduce twist throttles when he gets his used motocross bike. In another 3 years from now. Then again, what ever works best for you and your kid.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advise... I was concerned about the safety... Just trying to find something that is a little easier on his thumb. His thumb gets sore and it frustrates him because he can't ride as long as he wants.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

If his thumb gets sore, here's a few things to consider:

- If its off warranty, remove the Oil Injection system & go pre-mix. We went pre-mix with our Pred-90 and the removal of the oil injection "pull spring" instantly removed 50% of the pull. His gas throttle is very easy to push in now.

- You could try one of those throttle thumb extenders. Some say they work and some say they don't. Each kid is different and rides in different riding conditions.

- Take shorter rides. My son used to complain about his sore thumb (long before we removed the Oil Injection system). Each week, my son drove his unit longer each time. At the end of 6-8 weeks, he didn't complain about his sore thumb anymore. He even told me NOT to purchase a throttle extender - because he didn't need it anymore.

Hope these ideas help as well....

Old 04-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Spike, what jetting if any did you do to the Pred. after your upgrades?

How is the foot brake coming along?

TY

Old 04-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

When you turn a dirtbike or streetbike you lean the bike over so your body stays in the same postion while your turning.On an atv you are pushing and pulling on the handlebars with much greater effort and you can accidentally crank the twist throttle open while trying to turn the bars.Like spike say the kids thumb will toughen up after a while.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

My son was also complaining of a sore thumb after ~15 minutes of riding. I purchased the thumb extender and now he rides for hours with no complaints. Definitely a good investment.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Terd,

We removed our oil injection system 2 weeks ago and its airbox snorkel change 1 week ago. Due to our local wet / rainy season, I haven't the the opportunity to check the plug and tweak its existing jet (if needed). During this time of year, Mother Nature continues to prove "she's the boss". A few days ago is was -14 below freezing and today its +8. This up/down weather forces lots of rain in my part of the woods. After our "Spring Showers" is done, I'll be tuning its carb. Only time will tell if a jet upgrade (or tweak the factory ject) is required.

For foot brake status, check your PM.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Want to thank everybody for thier input there where several things I did not think about. We got a extender off ebay for about 15 bucks shipped works great no more sore thumbs.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Excellent.

I'm glad to hear you went with the thrumb control throttle extender instead of the twist throttle....

Quick Reply: Twist throttle for Viper