Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

brand new predator 90

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new predator 90

Went to my dealer today and brought home a brand new '03 predator 90 for my boys today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
let me tell ya... it sure was fun seeing them riding it! And how excited they were about their new toy!
Even I was excited about it, but I had to really beg them to let me be the first to ride it after I removed
the cdi rev limiter clip[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Boy I wish I had had one when I was a kid!!! I think I got a pretty good deal on
it to-being last years model. I paid $1900.00 out the door, does that sound like a good price? What are the
differences between it and the '04 models besides black plastic and an anoying horn I'm glad it doesn't
have? Are there any easy/cheap upgrades for this machine that will increase the performance/reliability???
Thanks for any advice you can give to this first time mini owner! Dan.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default brand new predator 90

Congradulations on your new '03 Pred-90 purchase. Sure hope you had your camcorder recording your kid's first ride as well. Memories of their first ride are always priceless....

For immediate upgrades, here's a few things to consider:

- Depending upon your unique riding conditions, you may want to install a Skid Plate. After 1 year of riding, we finally installed a 3/4 length skid plate. One of the best upgrades we performed on our '03 Pred-90. For more details, surf: Press Here

- Due to lack of a factory "spring loaded" chain tensioner, you may want to install an HPD Chain tensioner on your '03 Pred-90 unit. My son does lots of rough trail riding and its HPD Chain tensioner is a big help. No more tightening its chain, no more hearing it `ping` off its Swing Arm bar, etc. For us, this would be the first MOD we do again on an '03 Pred-90. For more details, surf: Press Here

- For added safety, you may want to install a front light on your Pred-90. We have a front light installed on ours for a daytime running light (extra safety) and the odd time we get caught in a dark bush during sun down. For more details, surf: Press Here

- Due to the frame / structure design of the '03 Pred-90, you may want to consider performing the rear brake fix on your unit. For more details, surf: Press Here

* For many other structure, safety and improvements to make your Pred-90 last longer, surf the many upgrade items within: Press Here

From a visual, there is very little difference between the '03 and '04 models. The differences that I've read about so far are:
- '04 has a Spring Loaded chain tensioner but its NOT as good as the HPD add-on.
- '04 has a very poor rear sprocket chain guard. The '03 has a thick plate chain guard.
- '04 has problems with its Oil Injection and Gas tank tab mounts. Something about their mounting tabs in the wrong place (re: should be 1/4" lower) and thus they are always breaking. I've yet to hear of an '03 Oil Injection Tank / Gas tank mounting brackets welds breaking.
- Chain Tensioner, Chain Guard, Horn and colour are the first noticable differences.

To make your unit go much faster and/or have more bottom end, consider replacing the factory air box with a Uni-Filter or K&N Filter, replacing the factory pipe with a Racing Pipe, upgrading it's reeds and remove its oil injection system. We obtained our base performance parts from Bill Holt @ WRH Racing. Even chaning the reeds and dumping its factory Oil Injection system made a huge difference. I'm sure his Racing muffler, clutch, compression increase recommendations and many other suggestions would turn our Pred-90 into a rocket. As a suggestion, call Billy Holt then compare to the many other performance upgrade dealers on this forum. They know their upgrade stuff and each will help you "customize" your performance increase for the unique riding conditions your kids ride in. In other words, don't turn your unit into a top end speed rocket when all you really want is more low end power (for the extra thick `my rubber boots are stuck` type of mud).

Lots of info.... Hope this helps....