Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Belt slipping - clutching ideas - porting ideas - all in one!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Belt slipping - clutching ideas - porting ideas - all in one!!

I got our LT back together this week and now I think I need to change the belt. It will squall if I ride it and if the boys Nail the gas really hard. Question is. It seems like the clutches slip alot. I am hoping its just the belt, but could it be anything else? Has anyone else had to replace the actual clutch plates or anything else? I've taken 2 rollers out of the front and thats it. Our LT has a FMF pipe, Boyseen reeds, Been rejetted, Uni filter, The head has been shaved .030, and is bored 80 over. Should I look into more clutch mods? I would love to get someone to port it and do clutch mods, but I can't afford to send it off some where and pay what some of these shops charge. Plus take the time to wait till they get around to it. I've tried to get ahold of LT80, but he must be out riding. I am fairly mechinicly minded, so I think I could pull off some porting and clutch work if I could find someone willing to give up some secrets. (some that actually work, not ruin parts) I have an extra jug that needs a sleeve, and thought that would be a good place to start. Everbody has to start somewhere. And its not like I'm going to go into busness doing this. Heck I don't even know anyone else with a LT80. It seems like everyones porting jobs end up with about the same effects. And most shops just duplicate port jobs. So do they use templates? If so, couldn't a person obtain them for private use? There has to be something that they use other wise setting up on a flow bench evertime would cost more than what its worth. Theres gotta be someone out there willing to help !!!!

Thanks

Old 05-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 Belt slipping - clutching ideas - porting ideas - all in one!!

Sorry dude. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Had a death, been busy, blah, blah.
You know I'll help.
First off:: You 80 over cylinder isn't worth doing much to. I wouldn't re-sleeve the other either. Cylinders are cheap. You might as well save up and get 4 bores out of it instead of non.
Motors the same? Could be, I use no templates. I looked at 3 others porting, combined what I thought was the best thoughts and put in thoughts of my own. I know my cylinder has been copied, it's a fact of life. I'd say that 99.9% still don't run as well.
I port cylinders all the time that have allready been ported. Once back and eyes are golf ball sized, they understand [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

In another thread someone mentioned Dizzy's porting and that some don't like to share info. I'll share. Dizzy's porting is mild and will need a pipe of unknown dabbling with to run well.Please don't take me wrong here, no ragging. I'm sure his LT ran well.
His exhaust opening is at 93 egrees. Mine is at 86. He raises his transfers (I forget to what degree), I don't raise them so to speak, rather,I point them.
I know the FMF pipe will not work with my porting, I doub't it will work w/dizzy's either. That pipe is for a stock motor. The stock LT80 pipe is still king. I will be expierementing with another pipe I have come across, but the performance is so close that I need a radar to tell exactly.
Belt:: Sounds like you may need another. Belts wear forever and actually run better in a modded machine.
Clutch's: Remove 2 rollers and be done with it. This should be close with a stock or modded motor. Other than that,you can read other current threads about rear clutch weights.
Rear torque spring, unless motor is modified, use a stock one.once modified, you need a spring.
Gidday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]