Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Making LT80 Wider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making LT80 Wider?

hi,could you e-mail me the pictures of your quad so ui could see the clearence?????

Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

You have to consider that kids are not the only ones riding these things. Whoops the cats out of the bag!!!! Don't tell my wife! That's right, I like riding my lt 80, and I would bet that quite a few "dads" out their ride thiers more than their kids do. I bought one for my daughter and she is 1 year old. I hope she grows into it. Currently I am the only one riding this machine, and it is tippy! It is probably pretty well balanced for a kid(with the limiters in place), but if you stick my 190lb frame on it(with no limiter) you are going up on 2 wheels! I don't have any spacers yet, but I am looking into it. My main concern is that if I go wider than stock I am just going to bust something. So what I am looking for is a very strong, cheap(almost free), and easy to install set up. I have a feeling that such a setup does not exsist. I do have a couple of "manly" machines when I want to get serious, but the lt80 is just so much fun!

Old 01-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

I just order LT80 wheel spacers, but this machine kicks butt for my 6 year old

Old 01-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AlaskaSavage
You have to consider that kids are not the only ones riding these things. Whoops the cats out of the bag!!!! Don't tell my wife! That's right, I like riding my lt 80, and I would bet that quite a few "dads" out their ride thiers more than their kids do. I bought one for my daughter and she is 1 year old. I hope she grows into it. Currently I am the only one riding this machine, and it is tippy! It is probably pretty well balanced for a kid(with the limiters in place), but if you stick my 190lb frame on it(with no limiter) you are going up on 2 wheels! I don't have any spacers yet, but I am looking into it. My main concern is that if I go wider than stock I am just going to bust something. So what I am looking for is a very strong, cheap(almost free), and easy to install set up. I have a feeling that such a setup does not exsist. I do have a couple of "manly" machines when I want to get serious, but the lt80 is just so much fun!
Take a look at My photo page. It may give you some ideas.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

how did you extend the swingarm? Could you put me in touch with the person who did yours?

Old 03-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

I have wheel spacers on our Lt80 with stock tires and Tusk Nerf bars. No problem at all. Can even go to a bigger tire if I wanted. The Tusk Nerf bars must have a different shape than the AC ones.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Alaska savage, I suspect the lt80 can handle wider wheelbase with no problem with a kid on it.. but with an adult.. it might have issues... I haven't heard of any... but you never know. Also, remember that a kid has a whole different center of gravity than you probably do... and they don't carry as much upper body weight, which undoubtedly is part of the problem. This is not to say that minis can't tip, or benefit from a wider stance. Check with Spike99.. we did a whole thread on this a while back...

Old 03-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

Fishlab, didn't you use to frequent the Yerf-Dog forum on Yahoo? I'm going to do the bolt spacer thing on my sons LT80. What size bolts are they?
Thanks.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jimk403
Fishlab, didn't you use to frequent the Yerf-Dog forum on Yahoo? I'm going to do the bolt spacer thing on my sons LT80. What size bolts are they?
Thanks.
I think they are 3/8". Pull one of the studs out and take it with you to the hardware store.
I think I bought 3/8" x 2" bolts. I used 3 nuts on the outside. worked great for ours.

I did upgrade the front to the JL front end extenders now though. The reason was because of the steering. With the JL Extenders, you also get extended tie rods. This also widens your steering point. I honestly think you lose some steering response and control when you just widen the front with the spacers. I noticed a difference with ours. The steering responds better with the steering point closer to the wheels.
This is just my opinion, and my daughter seems to like it better.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Really? i wouldn't have thought of that... At least I didn't notice any difference.... I can see a little adjustment might be needed in geometry, but I don't see any difference... at least not on my son's raptor. It did make the steering a little heavier though. We increased the toe in slightly to compensate for teh leverage effect and it seems to have brought it back to nuetral where it was before. Definately a lot more stable.

I admit the kits available are a bit pricey, but the grade 8 bolts cost more too. It is still cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

Quick Reply: Making LT80 Wider?