Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Making LT80 Wider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making LT80 Wider?

I purchased a set of of wheel spacers for my son's LT80. It did make the machine wider, but I am running into a problem with the tires hitting the AC Racing Nerf Bars. Does anyone know of extended A Arms or another way of making his ride wider without interfering with the nerf bars? Do I dare put offset rims on the front with the spacers?

FuzzPuzzle

Old 05-21-2004, 02:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also bought the AC nerfs and had the exact same problem (well still do), I had to take off the nerfs and are now sitting on the shelf because I do not wish to make the bike narrow again. I bought some offset rims, and, also, some spacers, it was so wide that I removed the spacers and just kept the offset rims. So, I was thinking of actually doing some cutting and rewelding just to move the nerfs back an inch or so, but, some a-arms that are set forward an inch would be best, just that, probably quite pricey.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

Had the same problem on my sons quad also. Had a guy extend my swingarm +3 and [pretty cool] i will shoot him a message and have him get a hold of you.

Old 05-21-2004, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

I honestly cant believe that the persons or dealer you bought the nerfs from did not tell you guys that they would need to be shortened. Take them to your local welder. I did and it only cost 40 bucks.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

They do not need to be shortened, not in stock form that is. The problem is that we have chosen to widen the track of our minis, so, because the front is now wider (because of spacers, or, offset wheels), it hits the nerfs when making a turn. In stock form (very narrow track) this would not be a problem.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Since the LT80 in my opinion is unstable in stock form, we really have no choice but to widen it. Looks like i will get the nerf bars shortened by an inch or two. Does anyone know where I can get A-Arms that are longer and set forward without having to make my own?

Old 05-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

I Widened my Sons LT80 with the JL Lucky Front End Extenders +6" , I kept the Stock front wheels and tires, AC Racing Nerf Bars, No Problems at all with Rubbing or touching the Nerfs, have a good 2" of Clearance. If I went to a 19X6X10 Front Tire It Would be Real Close as to if it would Rub or Not. AC Racing Nerf Bars, Cut Front Fenders, 18X9.5X8 Turf Tamer Tires on T-9's, FMF Fatty Pipe & Power Core II Silencer, K&N Air Filter, Deleted Oil Injection - Running Klotz Benol 32-1, AC Racing Front Bumper, 400 EX Footpegs Cut and Welded onto the LT's Footpeg bar (sweet!), FMF Handlebar Pad.
***If anyone knows where I can Get a set (3) of Works Shocks for this LT and a Durablue Eliminator Axle for A Good Price Let me know, I'm Ready to Purchase them Now!***
*** Also if you want a Picture of the Nerfs on the Bike Showing the Clearence email me and I'll send you a Picture***
***rickscheid@***.net***
*** Jack (LT80) if you see this thread, email me. I lost your email when my nephew reformatted the computer, Thanks***

Old 05-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Let's expand this thread to include all makes... My son had flipped his wheels around on his blaster.. does anyone know if this could be done to gain a wider stance? ... especially on a Yamaha raptor 80? the blaster picked up almost 3 inches total and really improved the stability of the Blaster. Of course that was before Yamaha upgraded to disc brakes...

Old 05-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I reversed the front wheels on my old 250X which I thought did a lot for increasing stability. It is necessary to drill a hole on the inside of the wheel (since it is now facing out) to put in a valve stem.

A trick here is when you put the valvestem on the inside of the wheel (used to be outside and you can't just leave on open hole) make it point INTO the tire so that you can see the 'inside' portion of the valvetem from the outside (in other words, you won't be able to use it for adding/removing air, it's just acting like a plug). This will give enough clearance on almost any quad since there is the added offset where the wheel is sometimes just barely covering over the brakes anyway.

On my 250X, I still had to shave some of the rubber off to keep from clipping the brake caliper, but it worked great! Also, when you drill the hole for the new valvestem, drill it 180 degrees from the old one to help with balancing.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

We didn't have any problem reaching the valve stem on the inside, although that may be a problem for some makes. I thought it an advantage since my son had this infinity for rocks and trees, which like to reach out and grab stems. It actually cut down on repairs. It really made it more stable in the turns.

As suggested above, I can't fault the manufacturers, since the spacer maker can't tell if you have nerf bars or not, and the nerf bar company didn't know you were going to use spacers etc. Any time you modify something, you are probably going to have fit issues to deal with... if you don't, count yourself lucky.

Quick Reply: Making LT80 Wider?