Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Yamoto 110, Tomahawk 110 and Yamaha Raptor 80

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamoto 110, Tomahawk 110 and Yamaha Raptor 80

OK I am trying to link all of this together. I just bought a Tomahawk ZXR 110 atv for my kids see it here and I have been doing some research and found that it looks identical to the Yamoto 110 see it here which in turn looks almost identical to the Yamaha Raptor 80 other than the engine size and that the Raptor does not have the front a-arms. I have read that the engine is based off of a Honda design and looking at it, it looks very much like my ATC 110 motors. Sellers of the Yamoto 110 on ebay imply that Yamoto makes the major frame components for Yamaha Raptor 80. Does anyone have any insight on this? Are the parts compatible with Yamaha(frame/shocks) and the motor parts compatable with Honda? Anyone have one of these or the many knock offs?

Old 06-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we just did a test drive for a distributor of something similar to what you're describing. This brand is MFC, Motorized Fun Co. Their 90 has a Honda CT90 clone engine.Everything else seems identical to a Raptor 80 (except front wishbone suspension). He was very careful to point out that the DESIGN is the same, but he had no idea if parts were interchangeable. The big thing is, their parts are a fraction of the Japanese parts. So unless you're putting the cheaper parts in a more expensive Japanese brand, it wouldn't seem to make any $$ sense to change the parts from the off-shore brand to the more expensive Japanese parts (that could be made in the same factory anyways).

Old 06-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
we just did a test drive for a distributor of something similar to what you're describing. This brand is MFC, Motorized Fun Co. Their 90 has a Honda CT90 clone engine.Everything else seems identical to a Raptor 80 (except front wishbone suspension). He was very careful to point out that the DESIGN is the same, but he had no idea if parts were interchangeable. The big thing is, their parts are a fraction of the Japanese parts. So unless you're putting the cheaper parts in a more expensive Japanese brand, it wouldn't seem to make any $$ sense to change the parts from the off-shore brand to the more expensive Japanese parts (that could be made in the same factory anyways).
Thanks for the info.. If you can get the parts for the Chinese brand then that would be cool. I just hear nightmare stories(some of which are probably hear-say) about not being able to get parts. I also heard some one say on one of the Chinese quads that the brake pads are the same as one of the Japanese brands but the composite that the pads are made of is much less durable and that it felt kind of felt like particle board. Who knows though, I think a lot of what's said is 'canned' answers from people that don't have first hand experience. So far I'm impressed by the quality.

Old 06-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

I think some of the complaints for lack of parts are first hand. that's what makes these forums so great... you get mostly unbiased information. the odd dealer plugs their stuff, but even the one Eton dealer from Maine is pretty good about not over-plugging his brand, and just telling people what to look for, and then he encourages them to enjoy whatever they choose. Kazuma seems to get trashed a lot. But you're absolutely right that when someone says something about a brand, it's nice to know if it was THEIR experience, or their friend's cousin's uncle's neighbor who knew a guy from Wisconsin...

The Chinese have good and bad quality stuff. I had a Costco vice from China. I tightened it and the stress cracked the cast. I couldn't believe the body of a vice.. a great big chunk of steel, could split.I got another Chinese vice from a tool store and it's been perfect. My buddy distributes automotive equipment and says they carry a variety of pricing and quality, and always tells the customers whether it's well-made from China, or just cheap and inexpensive. I suppose the atvs are no different.... good and bad quality.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

khen - Keep us updated on how your new quad holds up. Also mention what type of riding is being done. That way we have some "first hand" experience to compare. I hope it holds up well.
I may have threw some of the info about Kazuma out due to possibly being second hand or whatever, but I tend to believe most of it when it all seems to follow the same lines, and there is VERY few good comments about these motors. Who knows, maybe the good comments about these quads, come from people who never leave the yard with it.
When it comes to my money, I don't think it is worth saving a little money. Every time I try to shortcut and save a dime it seems like it ends up costing me a lot more in the long run.
I knew my son was going to put a lot of miles on his quad on a lot of different types of terrain, some being rugged, so I decided to stay away from the Kazuma motors.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 03Ozark
khen - Keep us updated on how your new quad holds up. Also mention what type of riding is being done. That way we have some "first hand" experience to compare. I hope it holds up well.
I may have threw some of the info about Kazuma out due to possibly being second hand or whatever, but I tend to believe most of it when it all seems to follow the same lines, and there is VERY few good comments about these motors. Who knows, maybe the good comments about these quads, come from people who never leave the yard with it.
When it comes to my money, I don't think it is worth saving a little money. Every time I try to shortcut and save a dime it seems like it ends up costing me a lot more in the long run.
I knew my son was going to put a lot of miles on his quad on a lot of different types of terrain, some being rugged, so I decided to stay away from the Kazuma motors.
I hope I didn't offend anybody by my 'first hand' comment. Most the stories I hear are not on ATV forums but are dealers of the big four brands trying to scare those that want to consider a 'no name' brand.

I should have knocked on wood though when I said I was impressed by the quality so far.. We went ridding today and my son pulled up and I noticed one of the lights was dangling from the frame! Apparently the bolts vibrated loose and fell out, so I started to inspect the quad for other problems and foud that some of the side cover bolts were loose as well. Upon further inspection I found that some of the welds on the bumper were also cracked! My son is 10 years old and fairly light for his age, we mostly ride MX tracks and dunes. He jumps it, but hasn't jumped over 2' high on it yet. I guess I'm going to have to locktite all the bolts on it and reweld the bumper...

Old 06-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Our XR70 Honda, (yes, the almighty, sanctimonious Honda) had exhaust bolt rattle loose constantly, and all 4 rear sprocket bolts were so loose, I can't believe we avoided a disaster. The air cleaner is tiny And there is no skid plate at the exposed area where the head is, which scares me. So even the self-proclaimed King isn't perfect.

Ozark, you're luck reminds me of the guy who bought $20 shoes and took extra big steps to save wear and tear on them, and ends up ripping the crotch out of his $100 pants. I have that luck too.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Trailblazer

This is the same quad that is sold here in Australia. It has a variety of brand names and numerous importers. Mostly known as a Kazuma 110 .. and over there its a yamoto eh? sounds japanese.
Manufactured in mainland china by the stannic motor corporation.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Maurie, do you have one?How's it been? "Eh?", that's Canadian! it must international now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

hahaha confusedbuyer eh? No mate, i dont actually have the pleasure of owning one of these ATV`s, but as part of my job i research long and hard into whats available on the ATV market. Because i am not a buyer as such, and because i know a lot of blokes in the bike industry i am able to get their biased and their un-biased comments.
This forum is very valuable and i poke my head in as often as i can. Its a good place.
As a token of international goodwill between us, i hereby officially apply for licence to use the word "eh"
In exchange for this, you may freely use "mate" as often as you like.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Yamoto 110, Tomahawk 110 and Yamaha Raptor 80